Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 134,593 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on Sunnyslope? My Husband and I are relocating to Phoenix and are looking for short-term housing to give us time to get to know the areas and then move again after 6 months unless we really like where we are. Sunnyslope has an apartment complex that is really inexpensive. I've checked the complexes reviews online but it is pretty mixed good and bad and no one really talks about the neighborhood. Is Sunnyslope a decent place to start out in? Does this neighborhood have a poor stigma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,052 times
Sunnyslope is nestled in the north section of Phx., bordered by a Mountain preserve on the north side. The big 'S' on the mountain defines the location.

It has a main drag that looks almost like a small downtown. It's a Suburban area with an urban feel - has lots of older homes, and some parts look kind of ghettoish.

It's not a lavish part of Phx. I mean, it's not quite Compton or a gangta paradise, but quite a few lower-income people live in Sunnyslope. Low-cost Apartments is mostly what you're gonna find!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 AM

The snaky thing in the center of this photo is a Canal. North of that Canal and south of thos Mountains is the Sunnyslope Section

http://sunnyslopehistoricalsociety.org/home/file.php/1/2007/P9300018.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ecosainstitute.org/images/Hatcher_South.jpg (broken link)

http://images3.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i0/i6418/ISwxy8bl69yc2r.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Note to a Moderator: Sunnyslope is a part of the City of Phoenix..............please move this thread to the Phx Forum

Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Do you know where you and your husband will be working?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note to a Moderator: Sunnyslope is a part of the City of Phoenix..............please move this thread to the Phx Forum
Thank you!!!!!!!

I put in the same request.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Do you know where you and your husband will be working?
Thanks! These are the 3 areas we have been looking at
1.West of 7th street and north of Mountain view rd.
2. 7th Street and Clinton
I was under the impression that these 2 areas are considered Sunnyslope. We are also considering an area around Northern and 14th street north of Belmont. What would you recommend, if any?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 74,899 times
Default Sunnyslope has good and bad places like anywhere else in the City

Sunnyslope has it's ups and downs. Names so by a voice that called it a Sunnyslope in the 20's when people with Lung TB left the downtown areas to breathe easier on the hillside. That being said - the New Times (An alternative magazine) notes it as Arizona's Beverly Hills - this is because builders bought up some of the crummy homes and built in their places $600.000+ McMansions/Nw Age homes; so you might see an expensive home next to a double wide mobile or a bungalow. Many of the houses are still original 1940's-1960's bungalow flair - with plaster walls, larger lots and personality. You will not find the stucco California cookie cutter looking subdivisions in most of the area because the restoration is in the neighborhood to promote it's original look. The newer houses in some areas of Phoenix have had problems - the PVC piping cracked after 10 years and they needed copper replacing - something that does not happen in the "older" houses with copper piping. Sunnyslope does have pockets of development with the newer stucco looking homes and some condo apts. But then Scummyslope is also a name here because pockets of it have higher crime rates and homeless and druggies wandering in the parks. I live in Sunnyslope and like it's quietness for the most part, and it's personality - so you know the older houses only have carports for 1 car, a cement slab to park and not typical two car garages. Many of it promotes diversified cultures, you find many Mexican establishments in the area. and many mom and pop businesses. If you look on any internet site - the $20-$50,000 priced homes are probably in MaryVale (SKIP THIS AREA COMPLETELY ) in the "ghetto" high rate crime and drive bys. Yes, they are cheap houses, but your neighbor might have burglar expertise and meth cooking going on. So ecclectic is the name, older bungalows are present and the people are easy going - you can get most places going on side streets down Central - other N/S Streets are governed by the 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM rules (rush hour prevents you from turning left in the center lane).

Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks Timetravelor - really good information. I haven't received much response to my postings but I thank everyone who helped me out. As you know it's hard relocating to a place that you don't know alot about (living wise) and don't know anyone. I was able to get alot of information from other's postings. So this site has been awesome. I'm so excited! I've been drawn to AZ since I was kid. My husband and I have decided to go ahead and fly out there to find a place instead of doing it remotely. Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Sunnyslope is NOT somewhere you would ever want to live, it's the ghetto. Unless you speak spanish, and enjoy having no white neighbors, you won't enjoy living there, it's a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area