Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I find it extremely hilarious as everyone from somewhere else always wants Arizona to look, feel, or act like where they are from or what they are used to. It is really annoying when you come on threads and try to be a moderator and tell people when and how they should argue and discuss an issue. Oregon's university system is smaller than Arizona's. They may have more little feeder schools, obscure campuses, etc. but that doesn't make it superior.
I'm not trying to be a moderator. I'm not the only one who comments on threads about where the discussions are going or not going, or their tone. I'm not telling you when and how to argue and discuss. I entered into the discussion re: the universities. As far as I know, everyone is free to comment, and does, on your posts and everyone else's on this forum, so long as they follow the TOS.

I don't think maroon wants to make Arizona be like Oregon (no need to do that), but noted, among other things, the difference in the number of state-run universities (meaning four year schools) between Oregon and Arizona. (I seem to recall similar discussions here somewhere comparing Arizona with some other state in that regard, don't remember which one.) It's obvious that the schools in Arizona, while fewer, are larger.

IMO, the number or size of schools doesn't conclusively establish the quality of education. There are good schools of all types (public, private, vocational, two year, four year) in both states, no question. I'm a product of our university system, undergrad and graduate. You won't catch me badmouthing it.

It's interesting that the ABOR is discussing the idea of the smaller, compressed course of study, less expensive universities here, to counter the high costs at ASU and U of A and make college education more accessible. That will grow the Arizona system, and it seems like a good idea.

I didn't understand, and still don't, understand your distinction between "receiving state funds" and "state funded", with respect to the Oregon schools, so I commented on it --and your explanation didn't make sense as to that issue. They are state schools, all run by a public board chosen the same way as our BOR. "Feeder schools"? I don't call a separate four year school with its own degrees a "feeder school" to OSU or UO, except possibly for some graduate programs. And BTW, I'm from Oregon originally and have spent some time there, looked at going to college there, know people who were/are at schools there, so I'm not just talking to hear myself talk.

Party on!

Last edited by observer53; 08-13-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not trying to be a moderator. I'm not the only one who comments on threads about where the discussions are going or not going, or their tone. I'm not telling you when and how to argue and discuss. I entered into the discussion re: the universities. As far as I know, everyone is free to comment, and does, on your posts and everyone else's on this forum, so long as they follow the TOS.
Actually you said "enough" in your earlier post and often tell people when to stop discussing a topic. So yes, that is a little intrusive. I never tell people NOT to post, but when information is given that is wrong, or they trip over words and say one thing but switch it up I point it out. Just like you did below:

Quote:
I don't think maroon wants to make Arizona be like Oregon, but noted, among other things, the difference in the number of state-run universities (meaning four year schools) between Oregon and Arizona. (I seem to recall similar discussions here somewhere comparing Arizona with some other state in that regard, don't remember which one.) It's obvious that the schools in Arizona, while fewer, are larger.
So are we talking about four year schools or state run universities now? Because Arizona has just as many four year schools as Oregon BUT less state-run universities. That is a major difference between the two states and a significant argument in my prior post. Arizona has ONE larger state run university (ASU) and more actual universities 3 compared to Oregon's two...While Oregon has more "feeder" schools for the main universities and schools that offer 4 year degrees, there is a huge difference in the institutions listed.

Quote:
The number or size of schools doesn't conclusively establish the quality of education. There are good schools of all types in both states, no question.
Yes, I completely agree with this statement and is evident when you compare the number of top tiered schools within the Universities in Arizona compared to those in Oregon. There is a huge discrepancy between the states as more prestigious and top-ranked colleges and schools are in Arizona. There are more top 10 programs at ASU alone then at the two Oregon universities. When you throw in UofA and NAU, there is no comparison.

Quote:
It's interesting that the ABOR is discussing the idea of the smaller, compressed course of study, less expensive universities here, to counter the high costs at ASU and U of A and make college education more accessible. That will grow the Arizona system, and it seems like a good idea.
It is very interesting and it NEEDS to be discussed. There is always the need to constantly consider new ideas and inventions of thinking when talking about research, higher education, and making college accessible to a larger number of people. However, one consideration is the prestige of the programs, the caliber of education received, the integrity of the system, etc. It must grow smart and not hastily.

Quote:
I didn't understand, and still don't, understand your distinction between "receiving state funds" and "state funded", so I commented on it -- and you still haven't explained it.
It's not too complicated. As an example, ASU receives nearly ALL of its operational cost from the state. As in various state boards, agencies, taxes, etc. fund and set the criteria for money allotments to the schools and how much each can charge students for tuition, etc. Receiving state funds means that a school set's its own rate, is funded primarily by tuition fees and charges, larger and less regulated endowments but also receives some funds from the Department of Education, state scholarships, and a per-student allotment that depends on the institution and other factors.

Quote:
Party on!
As you stated...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-13-2009 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Easy guys; I like/respect both of you and would hate to see a Mod 'drop the hammer', shall we say

Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Easy guys; I like/respect both of you and would hate to see a Mod 'drop the hammer', shall we say
No mod will drop the hammer. All discussions are cordial and without name calling or "flamming." We are just airing out the facts! Thanks bear!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
fcorrales-- you clearly don't understand the Oregon University System. None of the schools are "feeder" schools as you keep putting it. That is like saying NAU is a feeder school for ASU, which makes no sense.

Oregon University System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
fcorrales-- you clearly don't understand the Oregon University System. None of the schools are "feeder" schools as you keep putting it. That is like saying NAU is a feeder school for ASU, which makes no sense.

NAU is a school with over 20,000 students, is completely separate from ASU and has it's own business, liberal arts, doctorate, graduate programs etc. Maybe you need to look into your own links and the Oregon system a little better...

I could do this for ALL the schools besides OSU and UO but: "Western Oregon University offers bachelor's degrees (BA, BS, BM, and BFA) through its two colleges: the College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Master's degrees are available in Education (MAT and MSEd), Rehabilitation Counseling (MS), Criminal Justice (MA), Music (MM), and History (MA)."

In order to receive a degree in another field, college, program, etc. you must transfer from Western Oregon University to one of the larger state schools to continue your education...hence, feeder school. The smaller schools do not offer post graduate degrees...only Portland State (a lesser known school) and the two PAC-10 schools (OSU and UO) provide uninterrupted continuous education like ASU, UofA, and NAU.

The three Arizona schools, without satellite campus numbers/distance learning/post grad students, etc enroll 113,298 students. All 7 Oregon schools enroll 86,546...on top of that, programs at the three schools are still among the best in the nation.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-13-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post

What makes no sense is your harping on the number of universities in Oregon versus AZ. It is, in a word, irrelevant. If AZ chooses to consolidate all state universities under three monikers, then so be it. If OR wants to have a lot of different names and administrations, then so be that too. These states have vastly different population distrubution patterns, geography, and one of them is doubling in population every decade or so and is perennially in "catch-up" mode. A locally tailored approach is in order. What matters is whether the higher educational facilities of each state are meeting the demands of its citizens for higher education. I doubt you know enough about AZ (or your own state for that matter) to make that determination. You are simply introducing silly, cheap and worthless commentary into this thread.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-14-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM

253 posts, read 463,264 times
Back on the original thread: I have now sold my house in Wyoming, and have a closing date Of the 28th of this month. so if you live in Phoenix and don't like it, now is a good time to list because I will be sharing the road with a lot of people who are as interested in buying as I am. In case you don't follow real estate trends, the market is changing. I often get MLS reports that contain houses who's file when opened says that the home is no longer available. That tells me that someone is buying, and buying very quickly.
This indicates to me that many someones want to live there.
I also wanted to point out to those who call the people coming in now "bottom feeders". Yes, those who buy now will pay less than those who bought 2-3 years ago, but please note the fact that many builders are still building houses that compete in price with the new values of the existing houses. Which house valuation is closest to real, the one now, or the one two years ago? In addition, in order to establish a "bottom", enough people must buy to make the market stabilize and begin to grow. You should welcome anyone coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area