U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:10 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,416,134 times

Advertisements

I might come up there next weekend for an event at Tempe Beach Park and since I just need a place to crash for a night I was looking at cheap options. There is an Econo Lodge at 2101 E Apache Blvd @ S River Dr (close to loop 101). Supposedly it's a block from the light rail I haven't seen yet. However, the reception person didn't even know if the rail goes to Tempe Beach Park... I would think so, but does anybody know for sure? How late does it run? Is this area safe enough to walk a block at night?

I prefer a place within a walking distance and I do recall quite a few hotels around Mill Ave, but for some reason they don't show up in my searches now... Of course, I don't have to book it in advance, but the rack rates are always higher.

I'd appreciate your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,962,374 times
I have great luck on hotwire.com if I don't care what place I get and only care about the price...you may know it already....

there are three light-rail stops right in downtown Tempe/ASU....Tempe Beach is a block or three north of the line - very walkable...in fact, the light-rail line crosses the river almost directly above the "beach"....

Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/ - broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I have great luck on hotwire.com if I don't care what place I get and only care about the price...you may know it already....

there are three light-rail stops right in downtown Tempe/ASU....Tempe Beach is a block or three north of the line - very walkable...in fact, the light-rail line crosses the river almost directly above the "beach"....

Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/ - broken link)
Thank you. So, it looks like the light rail runs on that Apache Blvd itself till at least about 11 p.m., which is good. What kind of an area is it, though - between Smith and River? That's a few blocks West of loop 101.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 AM

2,325 posts, read 6,809,076 times
Lots of bums and flea market people camped out on Mill. The city has been trying for years to get rid of them but, you know, the druggies, homeless and trinket sellers have rights too. It is not the city's fault, they have to obey all the civil right laws. Maybe we will have our own little area of San Francisco right here in the valley soon.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 AM

17,840 posts, read 39,640,398 times
You should be fine walking over to the closest light rail stop, which would be about a block on Apache, either way. Tempe is generally pretty safe, although that's one of the older areas.

I'm not sure of the exact location of the stops, but a block sounds right. I'll be driving that way today, I'll check the exact spots for you.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

21,146 posts, read 39,397,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You should be fine walking over to the closest light rail stop, which would be about a block on Apache, either way. Tempe is generally pretty safe, although that's one of the older areas.

I'm not sure of the exact location of the stops, but a block sounds right. I'll be driving that way today, I'll check the exact spots for you.
Phoenix Light Rail map (http://www.phoenixlightrail.com/METRO-starter-line.pdf - broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

Thank you. Hey, you're an observer - I'll rely on ya! Yeah, I gathered from the pictures it's obviously not one of the best stretches (all I need for these purposes is a bed and a shower, though). That's why I asked. It wouldn't matter if I drive, but I'd rather enjoy myself in the evening.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM

82 posts, read 197,785 times
Tempe is a college town so always lots of students walking around so...should be pretty safe.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,859,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I might come up there next weekend for an event at Tempe Beach Park and since I just need a place to crash for a night I was looking at cheap options. There is an Econo Lodge at 2101 E Apache Blvd @ S River Dr (close to loop 101). Supposedly it's a block from the light rail I haven't seen yet. However, the reception person didn't even know if the rail goes to Tempe Beach Park... I would think so, but does anybody know for sure? How late does it run? Is this area safe enough to walk a block at night?

I prefer a place within a walking distance and I do recall quite a few hotels around Mill Ave, but for some reason they don't show up in my searches now... Of course, I don't have to book it in advance, but the rack rates are always higher.

I'd appreciate your help.
That place is fine. As you mentioned, it's not glamorous but it's safe. We are spoiled in Phoenix and our bad areas are really not that dangerous relative to other cities especially those with a true downtown and an urban presence. For a bed and a shower and quick access to the light rail, that meets your needs. Good luck

Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM

214 posts, read 917,642 times
Econo Lodge on Apache Trail is no good, I would NOT recommend it. I went to ASU and lived in the area and it is a VERY dumpy hotel, and there are a lot of transients in the area, a lot of theft, drugs, vandalism etc. I would try either the Travelodge or Days Inn on Apache (its much closer in towards ASU, and a bit nicer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area