U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,747,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No, it's not. Their intro rate is $39 and it goes up from there. They pressure you to buy a monthly membership for $39 or $59 (I've heard different rates, not sure what it is). They also need you to tip, "suggested" minimum of $10. And you won't get an hour of massage; it's more like 45 minutes. Caveat emptor.

Definitely you can go to a massage school for a cheap student massage, but of course you will get a cheap student massage, not a professional one.
Wow, a whole $4 difference!

The massages I get from the school were twice as good as the one I got at massage envy, and half the cost.

Moderator cut: snip

Anywhere you go the normal massage time is 45 minutes, they allow 7 minutes for dressing and undressing each.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: rude
Rate this post positively

Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM

25,106 posts, read 37,125,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No, it's not. Their intro rate is $39 and it goes up from there. They pressure you to buy a monthly membership for $39 or $59 (I've heard different rates, not sure what it is). They also need you to tip, "suggested" minimum of $10. And you won't get an hour of massage; it's more like 45 minutes. Caveat emptor.

Definitely you can go to a massage school for a cheap student massage, but of course you will get a cheap student massage, not a professional one.
Yes, Caveat emptor (a commonly known term) is the key -

I know some who have been "satisfied" with Massage Envy - but as you point out - they did not like the up selling they got.

There are several places I go to and the costs have ranged from 100 to 150 for a full hour. No upselling and certainly not a "student" massage either.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,261,717 times
Alternative to massage is fitness swimming. Join a master's swimming club. Doesn't matter how fast you are. They will teach you proper swim technique so that your entire swim is a massage.

Better to avoid anything that the numbnut authorities can accuse you of doing something carnal.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,381,243 times
Becareful of the massage schools I went to the big one near my house in Tempe @ Priest/Southern. Man that place is crowded like a 4 hour wait just to get a massage definitely not worth the wait.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM

28 posts, read 94,396 times
I guess my experience with Massage Envy is different from some here. I think it's reasonably priced and assume they all work like the one I belong to. You pay $59 a month which entitles you to one massage. If you want additional massages during the month it's only $39 per massage. And the suggested gratuities are in line with what you'd pay any professional person, ie: hair stylist, nail tech, etc. I've used several therapists: one has worked for a chiropractor for many years and has a certain style of massage that's great for people with chronic pain. Another works with a lot of athletes and can be very helpful if you have a strain or sprain, etc.

I don't know how much they're paid, but if they get $15 and hour and $15 tip, that's not too bad. Previously I was paying $85 an hour plus gratuity and the massage wasn't any better than what I get at Massage Envy.

The therapists readily admit they either have clients on the side or have other jobs - mostly to gain benefits. In this economy, the price is right and at least people are working

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,227,107 times
There is a massage business in Tempe known as the Laying of Hands. Ask for Big Bertha and tell her Rocky told you to ask for the house special ... wink, wink.

Just kidding. Many chiropractors have licensed massage therapists who work out of their offices. There is one in Mesa next to Sprouts on Southern and Higley, if I am not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area