U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM

161 posts, read 387,092 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: snip

i am looking to see if anyone knows of any good (but still legal) massage parlors in the phx area....i hurt my back and need to find a place soon.

I don't want to go to a Ritz but i don't want to go to a dirty/cheap place either.

thoughts? :-)

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: discussing moderator actions is not permitted on C-D
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,905,770 times
There are about 20 "Massage Envy" stores throughout town. They are reasonable and in safe shopping centers. I ve had decent luck with them on occassion, but Im not a massage "expert" either. They are very clean and all the people are licensed.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM

5,517 posts, read 4,556,135 times
Moderator cut: snip No one calls it a massage parlor anymore because that's associated with prostitution. Today you would call it a massage therapy clinic or practice.

Massage Envy is a chain somewhat like MacDonald's; they pay the therapists $15/hour, charge customers $70, and expect you to tip the therapist on top of that. Most of the money goes to corporate headquarters, not to the practitioners. That's why the therapists at these chains tend to be right out of school, inexperienced, and not very good at their art. Better to find an experienced massage therapist who will charge no more than that and do a professional job.

A good place to look is the AMTA:
AMTA Online Locator Service

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-25-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM

687 posts, read 1,819,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
uh, it got closed because it sounded like he was looking for a "massage parlor" that offered extra "services" (i.e. sexual). No one calls it a massage parlor anymore because that's associated with prostitution. Today you would call it a massage therapy clinic or practice.
Oh. I didn't know that. He did clarify in that thread, however, that he was just looking for a good massage. I still think it was a stretch to lock it.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

14,531 posts, read 17,645,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-BIG-NOTHING View Post
i am looking to see if anyone knows of any good (but still legal) massage parlors in the phx area....i hurt my back and need to find a place soon.
Why don't you just ask your GP doctor for a referral to a physical therapist?

I had a back problem due to an injury at work and my doctor recommended a physical therapist. I went to her and she looked like my mom, but I did benefit from the treatment.

Do you have any problem with your PT looking like your mom?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 PM

919 posts, read 3,191,003 times
I found this thread funny having strained my neck muscles recently and was actually looking for a legit massage and found it very tough to do on the fly.

Most of the the resort-like spas cater to higher end visitors and all I wanted was legit, quick therapy, not a tea extract facial, aroma half day combo with vegan lunch deal. Some friends gave recs to massge schools, but their hours are very limited. I ignored MassageEnvy because I don't like chains. On the other end of the spectrum, almost every ad on some of the more popular classified sites were for "special" massage services. As much as I like special services from the ladies, I don't want to pay for them and I really only wanted a legit massage for a specific pain.

I did find a reasonably priced place in Tempe that was legit, non sexual, and the therapist was really effective. PM me if you want a rec.

The bottom line is that it's actually quite tough to find good online recs for local, legit therapists.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I found this thread funny having strained my neck muscles recently and was actually looking for a legit massage and found it very tough to do on the fly.
quite so, and as a massage therapist I can tell you the chains are awful places to work that over charge and under-pay. They're run by non-massage therapists. It's like a damn assembly line. I felt like saying "do you want fries with that?" at the end of every intake interview.

The best thing is to just find an independent massage therapist in private practice (sometimes in a group practice or associated with some other alternative health types). They're around.

The link I posted above is for the national association, which promotes high professional standards in massage therapy. I'll post it again:
AMTA Online Locator Service

Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,715,637 times
Massage Envy is like $35 for a massage. You can go to the massage school and get them for 2 for $20 some days.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 PM

831 posts, read 2,166,760 times
So can anyone tell me where I can find a massage parlor with a happy ending???
LOL, JUST KIDDING, couldn't resist

Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Massage Envy is like $35 for a massage. You can go to the massage school and get them for 2 for $20 some days.
No, it's not. Their intro rate is $39 and it goes up from there. They pressure you to buy a monthly membership for $39 or $59 (I've heard different rates, not sure what it is). They also need you to tip, "suggested" minimum of $10. And you won't get an hour of massage; it's more like 45 minutes. Caveat emptor.

Definitely you can go to a massage school for a cheap student massage, but of course you will get a cheap student massage, not a professional one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area