U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 22,665 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Coming from Oregon w/in a few weeks and I'm curious if Rancho El Dorado gets the same "smells" as Maricopa? I'll be working in Southern Phoenix so I"m trying to find the most reasonable commute considering dollars being spent on a house.

Open to all thoughts.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,480,570 times
I have no idea what you are talking about? Where is this place that you ask about? If it's a name of a subdivision, then you have to know we have thousands of them here. This place is HUGE!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Sorry, this subdivision is due north of Maricopa off HWY 347 approaching HWY 10.

I hear that Maricopa is very close to cow farms - and I'm wondering if living north of it a bit would help....

Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,191,181 times
I was in Maricopa looking at subdivisions a few weeks ago and took some pictures. Hope this gives you a good idea.

Here is that "Rancho El Dorado" subdivision you were talking about. Pretty much your standard southwestern style subdivision:

This is Cobblestone Farms, a really nice looking subdivision built by Fulton Homes right across the street from Rancho El Dorado:

This is AZ-347, the main access road leading into Maricopa, through the Gila River Indian Reservation. This picture was taken on a Sunday, but I've heard that traffic can be horrendous for the weekday commute:

Yes, there is agriculture in Maricopa. I have no idea what the cow operations you're talking about is. I only saw some green fields:

Keep in mind Maricopa is an extremely new "town," if it can be called that. It is basically just a satelite of the ever-expanding Phoenix/East Valley blob. The only reason for all this growth is that it is cheap land just past the borders of the Indian reservation. It is a totally artificial location. Until just a few years ago, this is all Maricopa was:

Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Oh very good. Appreciate the insight and pics! Where do I send the cash?
8-)

Open for any other feedback. I understand the "field turned subdivision"...but weren't they ALL fields at one time? Gilbert at one point must have been the same way....

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM

75 posts, read 331,046 times
When we moved to gilbert 5 years ago we were surroned by dairies and fields. Now mostly gone. The smell was only bad in the summer. We liked being a little further out. We used to say we lived in South Gilbert, now it's more like central Gilbert.

We had looked at Maricopa a few times. We felt there was one way in and one way out. Have you looked at Tempe?

Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM

good info wamommy1. we haven't ruled any are out yet but are looking for the best bang for the buck. I'll be working off of E Baseline, so somewhere to the South, East or SE seems to make the most sense...

Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM

508 posts, read 1,617,895 times
Yes, at one point everything in the valley was just a cotton field or orange grove, or cow farm. As natives might remember the 5 C's Cattle, Cotton, Copper, Citrus, and Climate. Thos are the things that made our state. Maricopa is brand new and in 20 years will be like any other area of the Valley. Right now it is dirt cheap, I have a buddy who just purchased a 4bd 1700sqft house for $160k, but acess is limited as there is one main way in and out but at least it is a freeway.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 PM

75 posts, read 331,046 times
Parts of Chandler are still affordable. Do you know the cross streets of Baseline and.....? South Tempe is a great locaton anda nice area. Those zips are 85284, some of 85283. Also Chandler borders that. Try Warner Ranch. if you have the cross streets for youe work,that could help me give you some more suggestions. You will hopefully love the area as much as I do!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM

35th & E Baseline, apparently just south of the golf course. Its my understanding that its about 5-10 min's from the airport....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>