Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times

Advertisements

It seems that people are forgetting how to properly use the fast lane.

Here's a little lesson for you drivers:

First of all, blocking this lane is illegal in AZ.

The fast lane is the far left lane always, if the carpool lane is open and not being used for carpooling during the specified times, then that is the fast lane.

If you want to cruise at the speed limit in the fast lane, that is fine if there is little to no drivers on the road, but don't block the lane for other drivers who prefer to drive 10 or more over the speed limit.

If you are blocking the fast lane, simply put your blinker on, move over, and let them pass. That's not too hard now is it?

What you should not do is sit there and watch the person in your mirror (yes we can see you looking) and wonder why they are tailgating you, plus don't slow down, and definetly don't brake check the person.

I drive the 101 every day, and there has not been a single day where there has not been a long line of cars following a single car going slow with 100+ ft of space in front of them.

The fast lane is a simple concept, learn to love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Here's another tip:

Don't tailgate. It is illegal, and extremely dangerous.

The rule of thumb is to follow a car by 1 car length for each 10 miles of speed, or (the manual says 3 seconds)

So if a car in front of you in the fast lane is going 65 in a 65, and there is another car in front of him by 7 car lengths, then that car is going at the proper speed and keeping the legal distance from the car in front of him.

If the car in front of you is going too slow for you, then put on your blinker, change lanes and go around.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM

105 posts, read 274,770 times
I back this thread.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
I back this thread.
Me too!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
It seems that people are forgetting how to properly use the fast lane.

Here's a little lesson for you drivers:

First of all, blocking this lane is illegal in AZ.

The fast lane is the far left lane always, if the carpool lane is open and not being used for carpooling during the specified times, then that is the fast lane.

If you want to cruise at the speed limit in the fast lane, that is fine if there is little to no drivers on the road, but don't block the lane for other drivers who prefer to drive 10 or more over the speed limit.

If you are blocking the fast lane, simply put your blinker on, move over, and let them pass. That's not too hard now is it?

What you should not do is sit there and watch the person in your mirror (yes we can see you looking) and wonder why they are tailgating you, plus don't slow down, and definetly don't brake check the person.

I drive the 101 every day, and there has not been a single day where there has not been a long line of cars following a single car going slow with 100+ ft of space in front of them.

The fast lane is a simple concept, learn to love it.
Technically your wrong. The speed limit is the same for "fast" lane as it is for the other lanes...It might be stupid to drive the limit in the left lane but it is not illegal...

Courtesy of the Driving class I just took for my "California" stop...

Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 PM

76 posts, read 212,695 times
Default Yeah, Right

Quote:
Don't tailgate. It is illegal, and extremely dangerous.

The rule of thumb is to follow a car by 1 car length for each 10 miles of speed, or (the manual says 3 seconds)
Yeah, right. I'm from NYC, but I hear the driving there is similar. If you allow the "proper" space between you and the car ahead, some jackass scoots in. You inevitably are forced to tailgate during peak times.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM

203 posts, read 810,335 times
i can do the speed limit in any lane.

or can you prove your claim??

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM

203 posts, read 810,335 times
i get tail gated every day. i dont ride the fast lane but i do ride the HOV on a bike. and i dont care i go 5 over.

is it so hard to just do the speed limit?? plan your time better and enjoy the ride

how can you complain that we are breaking the law?? and slowing you down from breaking the law by going 10+ over.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
pcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
i can do the speed limit in any lane.

or can you prove your claim??
I dont understand what you are saying. Clarify please.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
pcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
i get tail gated every day. i dont ride the fast lane but i do ride the HOV on a bike. and i dont care i go 5 over.

is it so hard to just do the speed limit?? plan your time better and enjoy the ride

how can you complain that we are breaking the law?? and slowing you down from breaking the law by going 10+ over.

Are you responsible for enforcing the law? Is it up to you to decide who can travel at what rate of speed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area