Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 PM

203 posts, read 810,412 times

Advertisements

no thats my point. i`m within the law. if thats a problem go around or change the law
i have the right to do the speed limit , i really dont care what every one else does its not my probley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
I dont understand what you are saying. Clarify

please.

from the above post that i read

It seems that people are forgetting how to properly use the fast lane.

Here's a little lesson for you drivers:

First of all, blocking this lane is illegal in AZ.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
no thats my point. i`m within the law. if thats a problem go around or change the law
i have the right to do the speed limit , i really dont care what every one else does its not my probley
That is exactly the problem. Slower traffic should keep to the right. That is a courtesy to other drivers. The left lane is for passing, yes there is a speed limit but, slower traffic should stay to the right. What is so hard about that?

Could the German Autobahn function if everyone drove in any lane they wished? I don’t think so. Slower traffic to the right is the standard in this country. That is why you generally don’t see the big rigs hogging the left lane. They have more training and generally a more courteous driving pattern.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM

as i said i ride a bike i try the right people race to the next cameria never drive eaven close to the speed in the construction on the 60. posted 55 i run 60 and i get ran up on.and dont look when changeing lanes. the hov or the left is the safest place to be. at least i can escape to the sholder

if the speeders would keep left all would be good also. but everyone blames someone else.

long as i`m not brakeing the law i`m sorry to say, deal with it and go around and quickly hit you brakes for the next cameria.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
If you want to cruise at the speed limit in the fast lane, that is fine if there is little to no drivers on the road, but don't block the lane for other drivers who prefer to drive 10 or more over the speed limit.

Um, while the left lane is considered the passing lane, it has the exact same speed limit as all the other lanes. Folks are just to darn impatient-I recommend a chill pill and allowing enough time for a safe drive at the speed limit regardless what lane you are in. ;-0

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
there is no such thing as a "fast lane"...!!!

the left lane or two should be reserved for passing traffic that is going slower in the right lane(s)...you are not allowed to go over the speed limit just to pass, though, of course, this is notoriously done in all areas....

also notorious is traffic that STAYS in the passing lanes, passing or not, just because they don't want to get shut out by a slower driver in the right lanes..."me first"....

biggest problem is too many cars on the road!!!!!!!

good to see Karma back here again ranting about all the horrible drivers in Phx!....

best advice": DON'T tailgate (sooo dangerous!!)...kick back and enjoy the ride....don't be so "me first"....drive at or very little over the speed limit (not too fast or too slow)....

books can be written about driving habits.....

take it easy!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
The left lane is supposed to be used for passing. This is generally accepted. If you're not passing, get out of it.

That said. If I'm in the left lane, AND doing 10 over the speed limit.. I'm going to say that you're still going to be tailgating me. It's probably part of your normal driving pattern.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times
I will agree that the left lane is the "passing" lane, not the "fast" lane, and if everyone truly utilized it as such, traffic might move better.

That being said, I used to be one of those drivers who thought everyone else was going too slow. How fast I needed to go was directly dependent on everyone else's speed. If traffic was moving at 60, I needed to be going 65. If traffic was moving at 90, I needed to be going 95. I just had to be passing people to feel like I was moving.

At any rate, I'm no longer like that (becoming a mom helped a lot! ) and I will say that my experiences on the road are far less stressful due to it. Has everyone else changed? Nope, it was me.

That being said, I now spend more time in the lanes to the right than I used to, because I still believe it's courteous to let those who are in a hurry (for whatever reason - who am I to judge - they could be racing to the hospital with an ill child) pass me in the left lane.

I think there's just too many stubborn people on the road. Just be courteous and don't expect everyone else to drive like you (slow OR fast) and we'll all do much better! Just because you don't want to drive fast (which is everyone's right), does not mean that you cannot be courteous to those who do, and vice versa!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
legally speaking, left lanes are passing lanes
practically speaking, left lanes are for faster traffic

News flash to tailgaters: If I put my right blinker on, it means I want to MOVE TO THE RIGHT, so don't cut me off on the right before I can actually do it. I may just go ahead and do it some time and you will rear end me in your eagerness to prove your need to get past me so quickly.

News flash to idiots in the right lane: I'm entering the highway and my lane is ending. I have to merge into your lane. Either slow down, or move to one of the 3 inner lanes and let me on. Don't just stay in your lane and honk at me, like I'm supposed to pull over onto the shoulder and let you by.

Also, to tailgaters in the right lane(s): I'm not going to move to the left so you can pass me on the right. You're going to have to suck it up and pass on the left. If you don't, I'm going to gradually slow down until we are moving at what I consider a safe speed for the 10 foot gap between our cars.

That's all I have to say

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
I back this thread.
I do too, with my headlights blinking and honking my horn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area