Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,351,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
Could the German Autobahn function if everyone drove in any lane they wished? I don’t think so. Slower traffic to the right is the standard in this country. That is why you generally don’t see the big rigs hogging the left lane. They have more training and generally a more courteous driving pattern.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Actually, IDK about Phoenix, but here in Michigan it is illegal for big rigs to drive in the left lane on the freeway and they can and do get ticketed if they drive in that lane. So it isn't necessarily a matter of having more training or being more courteous, it could just be that they are trying to avoid an expensive ticket and points on their driving record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,447,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Technically your wrong. The speed limit is the same for "fast" lane as it is for the other lanes...It might be stupid to drive the limit in the left lane but it is not illegal...

Courtesy of the Driving class I just took for my "California" stop...
In AZ it's illegal to black the fast lane, not sure of the exact law but I am sure someone can find it.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Today on my way into work, there was about 20 cars in front of me all going 55 down the 101 in the left lane, the other 3 lanes were moving faster than the left lane all because one stupid person in a little white car would not move over, she kept braking for no reason just to be a *****.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,630,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
In AZ it's illegal to black the fast lane, not sure of the exact law but I am sure someone can find it.
Not according to our instructor. We had this same discussion we are having now...With many thinking the same thing you are.

The speed limit is the speed limit...

In California you can get pulled over from impeding the flow of traffic....but that would be doing 45 in a 65 zone. Not 65 in a 65 zone...

75 in a 65 zone is speeding and just because the camera doesn't flash does not mean an officer can't pull you over...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,728,403 times
The 101 is a mess no matter what time of day. The 202 going east is cake, took 15 minutes, got to the 101 and took an additional 45 minutes to get to chaparral.
I wish there was some commuter rail around the massive highways and allocate some of the traffic away from the roads.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Not according to our instructor. We had this same discussion we are having now...With many thinking the same thing you are.

The speed limit is the speed limit...

In California you can get pulled over from impeding the flow of traffic....but that would be doing 45 in a 65 zone. Not 65 in a 65 zone...

75 in a 65 zone is speeding and just because the camera doesn't flash does not mean an officer can't pull you over...
The speed limit is more of a suggestion, yes you can get pulled over for going faster but the common rule is that you can go 5-10 over with no problems, as long as eveyone else is going the same speed. I have been on the 101 many times and EVERYONE is going 70+ some even 80+.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,925 times
Can someone explain to me why it is that people still think it's okay to go 80 mph on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale, even though it is currently a construction zone AND the speed limit is 55 mph, with fines doubled in a construction zone??! Last time I checked, that's felony speeding. If the idea is 10+ or so over the speed limit, then my 65-70 cruise control setting should be just fine in that lane, and yet I get pushed out of it every day by some ******* or soccer mom in his/her Tahoe on his way to work with his screaming brats. Also, might I add, that space that I leave between myself and the person in front of me is FOR SAFETY REASONS, not for you to jump in between us. The way I see it is that a speed limit, is a LIMIT. Look the word up. If you are going over the speed limit in the left lane and I am going the speed limit in the same lane and "blocking you", YOU are breaking the law, not me. Like someone else said, plan your day a little better, slow down, enjoy yourself and I promise you, you'll be happier than screaming down the freeway, having an anxiety attack about being late.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulain145 View Post
Can someone explain to me why it is that people still think it's okay to go 80 mph on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale, even though it is currently a construction zone AND the speed limit is 55 mph, with fines doubled in a construction zone??! Last time I checked, that's felony speeding. If the idea is 10+ or so over the speed limit, then my 65-70 cruise control setting should be just fine in that lane, and yet I get pushed out of it every day by some ******* or soccer mom in his/her Tahoe on his way to work with his screaming brats. Also, might I add, that space that I leave between myself and the person in front of me is FOR SAFETY REASONS, not for you to jump in between us. The way I see it is that a speed limit, is a LIMIT. Look the word up. If you are going over the speed limit in the left lane and I am going the speed limit in the same lane and "blocking you", YOU are breaking the law, not me. Like someone else said, plan your day a little better, slow down, enjoy yourself and I promise you, you'll be happier than screaming down the freeway, having an anxiety attack about being late.
FYI 80 is not criminal speeding, 81 would be though.

Just because YOU enjoy driving slow does not mean everyone else does.

Blocking the fast lane is worse than minor speeding, you are creating a dangerous driving situation for you and other drivers by doing this.

I do agree 80 is a little excessive, but let them decide to drive that speed, not you, you are not king of the road and get to decide everyone elses speed. Workers are not present 90% of the time, so driving 70 is perfectly acceptable and safe.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,925 times
So 70 is driving slowly?? Seriously? It's not like I'm a 90 year old in a Buick who can barely see over the steering wheel. Ever thought of how much gas is wasted by going 80? Come on people.

And yes, 80 in a construction zone (55) is felony speeding.

BTW, I see that the motorcycle cops are out on the 101 from FLW to Tatum... so better be careful doing 80.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM

568 posts, read 1,211,232 times
I think our culture(in US cities in general) is very time-conscious...people feel very anxious about being late, because there are real consequences for that behavior(whether they be social or monetary). The upside is that the 'trains run on time', the bad news is that I believe it leads to aggressive, dangerous driving. But then again, I'm not sure about that theory because there are some less time-conscious cultures that drive like madmen, too...e.g. Brazil. But maybe that's just because they all want to be like Ayrton Senna(famous formula-one driver)!

I used to drive like a maniac trying to get to work on time. But then 2 things changed:

1) My new job became salaried...so no worries if a little late.

2) I moved to Central Phoenix, where the heaviest flow of traffic is always in the opposite direction of where I'm going, both in the am and pm. (I work in Mesa)

The best thing I ever did to relieve stress was to move to Central Phoenix. Now I hop on the 202 via 51 and settle into the middle lane and cruise at 60mph;probably better for gas mileage, too, because I'm not accelerating so much. And it's pretty rare to see accidents...I haven't seen one yet on my way to or from work on the 202. But I can relate to your frustration...when I used to live in South Chandler and take the I-10 to work every day...it was a nightmare...until I found a friend from work to carpool with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area