Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulain145 View Post
So 70 is driving slowly?? Seriously? It's not like I'm a 90 year old in a Buick who can barely see over the steering wheel. Ever thought of how much gas is wasted by going 80? Come on people.

And yes, 80 in a construction zone (55) is felony speeding.

BTW, I see that the motorcycle cops are out on the 101 from FLW to Tatum... so better be careful doing 80.
I never said 70 was slow, I said 55 was. You save more gas going 65-70 than you do at 55. Depending on your car and gear ratio you can get really good MPG at 80. I get the best MPG at 75 in my Nissan.

I see cops all the time on the 101 but they do not waste their time with speeding unless you are being excessive and cutting in and out of lanes, if you are in a line of cars all going 75 they are not going to bother you.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00701-02.htm

To the other poster, slow drivers to not cause me stress, they are more of an annoyance, if I can't get around someone I deal with it, unlike certain drivers who feel they need to tailgate and flash their lights until you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The speed limit is more of a suggestion,
The statement above is just to ripe to let it go by! The speed limit is just a "SUGGESTION"!!! ROFLMAOOOOO That is funny!

Let me ask you this Karma; Speed limit is 65. Can you be cited for speeding when you are doing 66?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Workers are not present 90% of the time, so driving 70 is perfectly acceptable and safe.
And, unlawful

Are you aware that now that we are getting into summer - work will be going on more at NIGHT than during the day?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The statement above is just to ripe to let it go by! The speed limit is just a "SUGGESTION"!!! ROFLMAOOOOO That is funny!

Let me ask you this Karma; Speed limit is 65. Can you be cited for speeding when you are doing 66?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, unlawful

Are you aware that now that we are getting into summer - work will be going on more at NIGHT than during the day?
No need for a double post, a simple edit would have worked.

Yes you can be cited for going 66, but the chance of being cited is one in a million. Half the time you get pulled over for speeding you are left off with a "warning" anyways.

Most of the work is done overnight, this is why freeways close at around 9pm and open back up around 5am. Most people are not on the roads at these times, which is why I said 90% of the time.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,428 times
Let me clue some of you in about tailgaters. If you are being tailgated just move to the slow lane. If you do not move to the slow lane and the tailgater continues to tailgate you, you are being toyed with. If it irritates you, that just might be the point behind the tailgating.

If the tailgater was genuinely in a rush he/she would just pass you in the slow lane and continue on.

Think about it. (And stay in the slow lane)

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM

124 posts, read 509,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
Let me clue some of you in about tailgaters. If you are being tailgated just move to the slow lane. If you do not move to the slow lane and the tailgater continues to tailgate you, you are being toyed with. If it irritates you, that just might be the point behind the tailgating.

If the tailgater was genuinely in a rush he/she would just pass you in the slow lane and continue on.

Think about it. (And stay in the slow lane)

Please advise the appropriate action to take if:

-being tailgated in the slow lane?

-being tailgated on a single lane road?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
In AZ it's illegal to black the fast lane, not sure of the exact law but I am sure someone can find it.
The posted speed limit is the speed limit. Below is the statute. If you're going 70 in a 65 mile zone, you are speeding.

28-701. Reasonable and prudent speed; prima facie evidence; exceptions

A. A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, conditions and actual and potential hazards then existing. A person shall control the speed of a vehicle as necessary to avoid colliding with any object, person, vehicle or other conveyance on, entering or adjacent to the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to exercise reasonable care for the protection of others.
B. Except as provided in subsections C and D of this section or except if a special hazard requires a lesser speed, any speed in excess of the following speeds is prima facie evidence that the speed is too great and therefore unreasonable:
1. Fifteen miles per hour approaching a school crossing.
2. Twenty-five miles per hour in a business or residential district.
3. Sixty-five miles per hour in other locations.
C. The speed limits prescribed in this section may be altered as authorized in sections 28-702 and 28-703.
D. The maximum speed provided in this section is reduced to the speed that is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and with regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing, including the following conditions:
1. Approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad crossing.
2. Approaching and going around a curve.
3. Approaching a hillcrest.
4. Traveling on a narrow or winding roadway.
5. A special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.
E. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at a speed that is less than the speed that is reasonable and prudent under existing conditions.

You may be confusing the 10 miles over the speed limit with this statute:

28-702.03. Maximum speed limit violation on interstate highway system in another state; effect
If a resident of this state is convicted of violating the maximum speed limit of fifty-five miles per hour on the interstate system highways of another state and the speed at which the person is alleged to have driven is sixty-five miles per hour or less:

1. A department or agency of this state shall not consider the violation for the purpose of determining whether the person's driver license should be suspended or revoked.

2. An insurer shall not consider the violation as a moving traffic violation against the person for the purpose of establishing rates of motor vehicle insurance charged by the insurer, and the insurer shall not cancel or refuse to renew a policy of insurance because of the violation.

Below is the statute that covers TAILGATING:

Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
In AZ it's illegal to black the fast lane, not sure of the exact law but I am sure someone can find it.

Below is the statute that covers TAILGATING:

28-695. Aggressive driving; violation; classification; definition

A. A person commits aggressive driving if both of the following occur:
1. During a course of conduct the person commits a violation of either section 28-701, subsection A or section 28-701.02 and at least two of the following violations:

(a) Failure to obey traffic control devices as provided in section 28-644.

(b) Overtaking and passing another vehicle on the right by driving off the pavement or main traveled portion of the roadway as provided in section 28-724.

(c) Unsafe lane change as provided in section 28-729.

(d) Following a vehicle too closely as provided in section 28-730.

(e) Failure to yield the right-of-way as provided in article 9 of this chapter.

2. The person's driving is an immediate hazard to another person or vehicle.

B. A person convicted of aggressive driving is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.

C. In addition to any other penalty prescribed by law:

1. A person convicted of a violation of this section shall attend and successfully complete approved traffic survival school training and educational sessions that are designed to improve the safety and habits of drivers and that are approved by the department.

2. The court shall forward the abstract of conviction to the department and may order the department to suspend the person's driving privilege for thirty days.

D. If a person who is convicted of a violation of this section has been previously convicted of a violation of this section within a period of twenty-four months:
1. The person is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
2. In addition to any other penalty prescribed by law, the court shall forward the abstract of conviction to the department. On receipt of the abstract of conviction, the department shall revoke the driving privilege of the person for one year.

E. The dates of the commission of the offense determine whether subsection D of this section applies. A second or subsequent violation for which a conviction occurs as provided in this section does not include a conviction for an offense arising out of the same series of acts.
F. For the purposes of this section "course of conduct" means a series of acts committed during a single, continuous period of driving.

All the AZ driving statutes can be found here:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=28

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I never said 70 was slow, I said 55 was. You save more gas going 65-70 than you do at 55. Depending on your car and gear ratio you can get really good MPG at 80. I get the best MPG at 75 in my Nissan.

I see cops all the time on the 101 but they do not waste their time with speeding unless you are being excessive and cutting in and out of lanes, if you are in a line of cars all going 75 they are not going to bother you.

28-701.02 - Excessive speeds; classification

To the other poster, slow drivers to not cause me stress, they are more of an annoyance, if I can't get around someone I deal with it, unlike certain drivers who feel they need to tailgate and flash their lights until you move.
The statute you're citing is one where the offence becomes a Class 3 Misdemeanor.

The statute you're quoting is regarding excessive speeds that result in a Class 3 Misdemeanor, but does not change the fact that the speed limit is the speed that is posted, such as 65 or in some sections 55 on the freeways.

While some officers (at times) may not bother to stop a car going 75 in a 65 zone, that is not an official policy and does not override the law.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
i can do the speed limit in any lane.
No you cannot! You're being a lawbreaker if you drive slower than the general traffic flow in the left lane. The only way you would be within the law by doing the speed limit in the left lane if the general traffic flow was moving at a rate of speed under the posted limit.

If you are guilty of hogging the left lane and impeding the flow, then YOU are the one who needs to move over to the right lane ... not everyone else. Furthermore, you are in violation of Arizona law which mandates slower traffic must stay to the right, and I have posted this numerous times. This law is also absolute, but speed limits are not absolute except in specific areas.

Quote:
On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
Arizona Revised Statutes §28-721**Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions - Arizona Arizona Revised Statutes §28-721**Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions - Arizona Code :: Justia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area