Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,333,105 times

Advertisements

I support this thread. Most of you disagreeing with the OP don't understand the key principles: courtesy and safety! I like to drive 10 mph over the speed limit but often that isn't fast enough to drive in the left lane in Phoenix. If I'm in the left lane and someone tailgates me, I get out of the way and drive in the lane next to me. Why try to take a stand? Be defensive and safe. If the person is in hurry, let them have the left lane and pass you. Regardless of the speed limit, there is courtesy that people should abide by. Leave the left lane open for fast drivers but I see so many clueless people on the road driving 60-65 in the left lane.

In terms of legality, the speed limit is absolute. If someone is driving 65 mph in the left lane and that is the posted speed limit then he or she is in the right to drive at that speed regardless if others are driving faster. Nonetheless, this issue is more about courtesy than legality. As mentioned above, be the bigger person and be considerate and allow the Nascar driver to let him or her have the left lane. This is a safety issue meaning....your safety. You don't know who or what type of person the person is behind you who is tailing you. People have road rage and you simply don't know what that person is capable of doing when angry. Why upset that person and endanger yourself just to prove a point. That is stupid. Let go of your ego and let the person have the lane.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-12-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,433,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I support this thread. Most of you disagreeing with the OP don't understand the key principle: courtesy! I like to drive 10 mph over the speed limit but often that isn't fast enough to drive in the left lane in Phoenix. If I'm in the left lane and someone tailgates me, I get out of the way and drive in the lane next to me. Why try to take a stand? Be defensive and safe. If the person is in hurry, let them have the left lane and pass you. Regardless of the speed limit, there is courtesy that people should abide by. Leave the left lane open for fast drivers but I see so many clueless people on the road driving 60-65 in the left lane.

In terms of legality, the speed limit is absolute. If someone is driving 65 mph in the left lane and that is the posted speed limit then he or she is in the right to drive at that speed regardless if others are driving faster. Nonetheless, this issue is more about courtesy than legality. As mentioned above, be the bigger person and be considerate and allow the Nascar driver to let him or her have the left lane. This is a safety issue meaning....your safety. You don't know who or what type of person the person is behind you who is tailing you. People have road rage and you simply don't know what that person is capable of doing when angry. Why upset that person and endanger yourself just to prove a point. That is stupid. Let go of your ego and let the person have the lane.
Exactly. Why try to be "king of the road" and creat a saftey issue for other drivers?

Brake checking someone is only going to cause them to "rage" and cause more problems, simple courtest goes a long way.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Exactly. Why try to be "king of the road" and creat a saftey issue for other drivers?

Brake checking someone is only going to cause them to "rage" and cause more problems, simple courtest goes a long way.
I've learned it's as much about ego with the slow drivers in the left lane. They take offense to the person tailing them and so to take a stand, they just continue to drive in that lane without switching lanes. That is stupid and dangerous. Like I said, you don't know what that person behind you is capable of. They could pull out a gun, rear end you etc. There is no such thing as standing up to someone on the freeway. That is an immature concept. Be responsible for your safety and get out of the way.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've learned it's as much about ego with the slow drivers in the left lane. They take offense to the person tailing them and so to take a stand, they just continue to drive in that lane without switching lanes. That is stupid and dangerous. Like I said, you don't know what that person behind you is capable of. They could pull out a gun, rear end you etc. There is no such thing as standing up to someone on the freeway. That is an immature concept. Be responsible for your safety and get out of the way.
This is exactly what I have seen as well, most times you can see them looking at you in their mirror, cluelessly wondering why you are tailgating them, or they are just being stubborn.

I have noticed most of the people who drive like this are usually older too, one would assume it's teenagers or younger drivers, but it's the more experienced drivers causing the most problems on the roads.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,316,014 times
I frequently ride my Motorcycle on the Freeway and tend to stay on the speedlimit. I will use the left lane for passing then of course move over (although during rush hour I am in the HOV lane).

If there is traffic, I will tend to ride in the 2nd lane from the right in order to have an "out" in case someone tries to pull to the right and does not see me - to give me, hopefully, somewhere to "go".

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I frequently ride my Motorcycle on the Freeway and tend to stay on the speedlimit. I will use the left lane for passing then of course move over (although during rush hour I am in the HOV lane).

If there is traffic, I will tend to ride in the 2nd lane from the right in order to have an "out" in case someone tries to pull to the right and does not see me - to give me, hopefully, somewhere to "go".
You are brave to ride a motorcycle in Phoenix, the drivers here seem to be blind to us. I have a bike, but I ride strictly on the weekends, I like to take day trips up north on it.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You are brave to ride a motorcycle in Phoenix, the drivers here seem to be blind to us. I have a bike, but I ride strictly on the weekends, I like to take day trips up north on it.
I ride almost every day. I don't fear it. Just drive defensively and non aggressively.

Then again, drivers of Gold Wings tend to "cruise" not "bruise"

Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,758,437 times
The real question is what to do when it is fairly congested. I typically drive about 5-7 mph over the speed limit. I would be happy to do that in the rightmost lane if that worked. The more traffic there is, the more likely it will be that I need to use one of the other lanes to maintain that speed. As traffic thickens I start needing to go to the leftmost lane to get around people.

So then the scenario is that I am going 70 in the leftmost lane where the limit is 65 to get past a bunch of vehicles in the second-leftmost lane who are going 55 or 60. Up from behind comes someone who would like to go 80. She/he is not happy that I am in her/his way and starts riding my bumper.

Who lacks courtesy here? I will gladly move over once I clear the pack, but I don't believe that it is my obligation to either slow down and join the sluggards to my right OR to speed up, risking a ticket in my mind, just to avoid inconveniencing this person.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,923 times
On my trips from Surprise to the airport I have come to use the right most lanes. It seems that most people prefer to drive in the left most lanes, leaving the center and right lanes open to navigate quickly around slower traffic. It is very similar driving in Chicago traffic as well. I have found I actually make better time in the right lanes.

Anyone else observe this?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM

6,722 posts, read 5,971,377 times
I try to stay out of people's way, within limits. I mean, I pay for the ****ing roads too, and I have as much right as anyone else to use them. If someone is going to harass me, give me the finger, tailgate dangerously, and scream curses as he passes, I'm going to consider him in violation of the law and I'm going to phone it in. It's not right that some people get to be bullies out there and get away with it. You don't have to even try to be bullied out there. I stay to the right, I move out of the way, and I move with the traffic, yet still people want to get their jollies by playing dangerous games. Enough.

I would like to see the bait car program extended to the highways, where harmless looking plainclothes cops in meek little buggies are out there just begging to be bullied. Then, nail'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area