Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have read a lot of posts about North Scottsdale regarding schools/families/kids/etc but they are usually referring to neighborhoods in the Scottsdale School district.

We are looking at buying a house in North-North Scottsdale, at about Scottsdale Rd and Dixileta where the school district is Cave Creek - which I have read good posts.

We love the house, area and the lot size, but are concerned that there won't be any smaller kids "around" the neighborhood/area to play with. The extra land and remoteness/views are super appealing... we just don't want to be isolated either.

We are moving from the Midwest and want to be able to quickly make friends and be involved in kid and adult activities.

Is there anyone out there with personal knowledge of the area?

Many-many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
It's a great area. . . I lived up there long before it was a "development", when there was pretty much nothing but open desert and a few houses, horse farms, etc.
Expect to see plenty of "rural activity" there, even now. Good schools, beautiful area. . . welcome and good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,029 times
Yes, it's pretty rural, I would think a subdivision would be a better fit for someone looking to get together with other families and have the kids play together etc. From what I remember the houses are pretty far apart and it's not exactly the best area for the kids to walk and find each other to play.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM

203 posts, read 491,243 times
If you're looking for a family environment and to meet people, do not move up there. North North Scottsdale (north of Pinnacle Peak) is still a) remote and not built up yet b) full of foreclosures and cheaper (relatively speaking) Scottsdale houses because of this fact, c) not family friendly (for the most part, North North Scottsdale is for wealthier retirees. I can assure you there is a reason the prices up there are cheaper now, and it's mainly because it's a sparsely populated area (compared to the rest of Phoenix/Scottsdale) and targeted towards retirees. If you were older and didn't have kids, I would strongly suggest moving there. If wanting a family friendly environment and to meet people, move south below Pinnacle Peak; you'll pay more for less but be happier. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
I beg to differ, at least in part, from the above posts. There are many major subdivisiions in the area. . . . from Grayhawk in the south to Tatum Ranch. There may still be more rural areas, in fact, I am sure there are, but it seems the OP was looking in subdivisions, where there is a predominace of youngish families. Of course, they would have to come out and look for themselves, talk to potential neighbors, etc., in order to determine if it is a good fit for them, but the Cave Creek schools are quite good. . . . and there are lots of kids up there. . . .

Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
The OP is talking about a specific house with a "large lot size" and loves the "extra land" and the "remoteness", but expresses specific concerns about there not being enough small kids around the "area/neighborhood".

From reading that, I would assume the house in question is not in a typical subdivision (to me, Rural at Dixileta, and Tatum Ranch, are entirely different places) but is in an area where the houses are NOT right next to each other, and you can't see 15- 20 other houses from the front yard of your own.

I'm not sure that the area is "targeted to retirees", although the area is attractive to people who are not commuting anywhere, but there may not be a lot of small children. It will take a little looking around the area, and talking to some neighbors, to sort that out.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM

45 posts, read 140,115 times
I used to live over there (where the lots are 2.5 acres). It was not particularly kid friendly (and particularly scary if you have small pets). The coyotes passed by every afternoon. I was almost struck by a rattlesnake on a neighbor's front porch. And there was a lot of prairie dog/squirrel and rabbit activity. Some bobcat sightings in backyards. Most of the houses are enclosed inside walls for a reason. However, the people are friendly and good neighbors.

I do agree that you will find more young families in the subdivisions South of Pinnacle Peak and in Tatum Ranch (about 4 miles west of Scottsdale Road between Pinnacle Peak and Lone Mountain Roads).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area