Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

I see they're cracking down all over the country on these loud, thumping boom cars (sometimes referred to as Noise Terrorists) and I was wondering how Arapio deals with them in Phoenix along with loud motorcycles?

I read that in Oregon, there's a $1500 fine in place for boom cars.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see they're cracking down all over the country on these loud, thumping boom cars (sometimes referred to as Noise Terrorists) and I was wondering how Arapio deals with them in Phoenix along with loud motorcycles?

Compared to about a year ago: I hear far fewer of those obnoxious junkers these days.

Suffice to say: a loud car stereo gives probable cause for an LEO to initiate a traffic stop.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I'm in my late 40s. I like peace and quiet. I hate those loud thumping cars. But do you want to make this an additional victimless crime in an already too-many-penalties state? We citizens are libertarians. The MCSO and state government is heavy handed and against individual liberty. They are rapidly becoming like the Taliban.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

This problem has a lot to do with culture and socioeconomic aspects. Basically, the poorer the area, the more of these cars you tend to see. You don't really see these cars in nice areas of the valley because the drivers are smart enough not to try to attract attention in these areas.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I'm in my late 40s. I like peace and quiet. I hate those loud thumping cars. But do you want to make this an additional victimless crime in an already too-many-penalties state? We citizens are libertarians. The MCSO and state government is heavy handed and against individual liberty. They are rapidly becoming like the Taliban.

Oh puh-leeze. Victimless crime? If its sitting infront of your house, thumping away while you want "peace and quiet", its not a victimless crime. And when they do pull up, make sure you make a call to the local electrician, maybe they'll help ya get that thumping car out of there.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Victimless crime?

According to NoisefreeAmerica, the #1 reason people relocate is due to Noise factors.

25-50% of all auto accidents in the U.S. are due to driver distractions.

They also interfere with your ability to hear and respond to emergency vehicles.

In some cases, loud noise can even trigger heart attacks in some people.

In Florida, some elderly woman, having repeatedly warned a boom car driver to turn it down, filed a noise lawsuit against the driver. Is this going to be the next wave of litigation in this country?

In NYC, Mayor Bloomberg is on a quest to make his city the quietest big city in the U.S. with astounding results. On a recent trip there, even walking around Harlem with their Operation Silent Night campaigns, I heard no boom cars. And no horn honking, either ($350 fine for honking our horn in a residential area).

Long live peace and quiet!

But what IS Arapio doing, exactly? Or the other communities in the Valley?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times
Noise terrorists? We're just gonna slap the terrorist label on all our crimes aren't we?

Anyways, I don't think it's that big of a problem here in the Phoenix area but I've never compared it to other areas. On average, I probably hear a "terrorist" thumping his music about once a month.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:

The problem is said loud cars infringe on other peoples' rights----------I for one resent having to listen to that low life crap.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
Yeah but, I was reacting to putting those beasts in the same camp as terrorists. You are walking a fine line between liberty and totalitarianism. I said before, I hate the noise polluters. I equally hate big government at any level, and that includes state. Who are they going to label terrorists next? Never married single men?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times
Quote:
Yeah but, I was reacting to putting those beasts in the same camp as terrorists. You are walking a fine line between liberty and totalitarianism. I said before, I hate the noise polluters. I equally hate big government at any level, and that includes state. Who are they going to label terrorists next? Never married single men?
I didn't read the part were you compare them to the Taliban (^_^)

I guess the guy that stole my bike is probably part of al Qaeda. I'm not gonna argue politics, though. I bid you a good night, kind sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area