U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 03:35 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,991,647 times

Advertisements

I just had this dishwasher installed 9 days ago and opened it last night to find FOUR big roaches in it. I always rinse my dishes off before I put them in, but I don't have enough to load the dishwasher every day to wash them. So I rinse them off until I have enough to justify running the appliance.

I poured bleach down my kitchen drains and also in my dishwasher and ran it on hot today. I am not sure that will fix the problem. I actually saw one crawl back into the vent on the bottom last night.

Needless to say, my dishwasher is useless to me this way. HELP! How do I fix this problem? I have rarely seen maybe one in the dishwasher in 3 years of living here and now this...

I live in N. Scottsdale. Anyone know if Scottsdale sprays the sewers? Also, I read something about the city flushing the water and how they really come out in droves after that. Anyone know anything about this? I am THOROUGHLY disgusted. My kitchen is always clean too. THANK YOU if you can offer me some hope.

P.S. there is a bad smell coming out of my drains. I poured bleach down and anyone ever have this problem? Again, I don't keep food in the garbage disposal or anything so I don't know why it smells bad? Anyone know if this is a water flushing deal?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 PM

36,275 posts, read 46,481,357 times
You've got some tough roaches up that way! To get into a typically-installed dishwasher they would have to swim the trap, negotiate the narrow confines of the garbage disposal, cross the anti-backflow air gap or device, and then work their way through the pump impellers. Hmmmm.... Our Goodyear roaches usually just choose to take the easy route through the shower drain. Darn Scottsdale type-A over-achievers!

Seriously, I doubt the roaches are coming into the dishwasher from the sewer - at least directly. They more likely are living under the dishwasher or behind the cabinets having infiltrated by other means. Your practice of leaving dirty dishes in the washer until you have a load is not wise. Roaches love food scraps and will seek them out like they have radar. My advice would be to wash the dishes right away and keep the dishwasher door latched when not in use. Get the house sprayed too. There's more lurking where you can't see them.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-07-2007 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: to be serious

Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM

416 posts, read 2,429,534 times
Scottsdale roaches are the worst!!!!

It's too early, guess they are coming sooner than expected. I would love to hear some suggestions too Everytime I look at them dead or alive it kills my appetite for a month!

I use bleach too but it only kills a small percentage.

One time I was watching tv and 1 crawled up my arm!!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,537,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Scottsdale roaches are the worst!!!!

It's too early, guess they are coming sooner than expected. I would love to hear some suggestions too Everytime I look at them dead or alive it kills my appetite for a month!

I use bleach too but it only kills a small percentage.

One time I was watching tv and 1 crawled up my arm!!!!
OMG I can't believe you people! You spend weeks bad mouthing the SNOBBY residents of Scottsdale, scream about their scorpions, complain about their rattlesnakes and coyotes, and now you're picking on their roaches? Where will it end???

Old 04-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I just had this dishwasher installed 9 days ago and opened it last night to find FOUR big roaches in it. I always rinse my dishes off before I put them in, but I don't have enough to load the dishwasher every day to wash them. So I rinse them off until I have enough to justify running the appliance.

I live in N. Scottsdale.
I'm sorry. I saw Scottsdale and couldn't resist. I checked a few sites for you, looking for "safe" ways to kill roaches. Boric acid came up twice. Here's the info for two different applications:

Here's a homemade, safer roach killer.
Mix equal parts powdered sugar and borax in a bowl.

(This one you could mix up and leave in your dishwasher between loads)
  1. Sprinkle in cracks along walls and under cupboards.
  2. Keep away from children and pets.
  3. Repeat as necessary for one to two weeks until all roaches have died.
  4. Borax slowly kills roaches by interfering with their metabolism.
http://homeparents.about.com/cs/hous...ockroaches.htm

Boric acid is applied as a dust in wall voids, paths along which the roaches travel, and other hangouts. It's organic, generally safe, and should be used if the rest of your home has already been thoroughly treated for maximum effectiveness. A benefit of boric acid is that cockroaches will transfer dust from roach to roach, reducing a hidden roach metropolis into a ghost town. If you want to know the grizzly details, boric acid eats through cockroach shells gradually, taking anywhere from a few hours to a few days to kill the suckers.
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/pests/pests2.html

Good luck. Probably won't make you feel any better, but one our cat's just brought home another pet. A baby kangaroo mouse. Not a mark on it. I managed to catch it and release away from her hunting grounds.

She also brings home baby rabbits, snakes, lizards and of course birds. Always alive and uninjured. I think she enjoys watching the dogs chase them around the house.

Sometimes I almost wish I had a bug problem instead

Old 04-07-2007, 11:24 PM

416 posts, read 2,429,534 times
Thank you, now I won't be as eager to move out of N Scottsdale. Once I get rid of the roaches

Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,700,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I'm sorry. I saw Scottsdale and couldn't resist. I checked a few sites for you, looking for "safe" ways to kill roaches. Boric acid came up twice. Here's the info for two different applications:

Here's a homemade, safer roach killer.
Mix equal parts powdered sugar and borax in a bowl.

(This one you could mix up and leave in your dishwasher between loads)
  1. Sprinkle in cracks along walls and under cupboards.
  2. Keep away from children and pets.
  3. Repeat as necessary for one to two weeks until all roaches have died.
  4. Borax slowly kills roaches by interfering with their metabolism.
http://homeparents.about.com/cs/hous...ockroaches.htm

Boric acid is applied as a dust in wall voids, paths along which the roaches travel, and other hangouts. It's organic, generally safe, and should be used if the rest of your home has already been thoroughly treated for maximum effectiveness. A benefit of boric acid is that cockroaches will transfer dust from roach to roach, reducing a hidden roach metropolis into a ghost town. If you want to know the grizzly details, boric acid eats through cockroach shells gradually, taking anywhere from a few hours to a few days to kill the suckers.
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/pests/pests2.html

Good luck. Probably won't make you feel any better, but one our cat's just brought home another pet. A baby kangaroo mouse. Not a mark on it. I managed to catch it and release away from her hunting grounds.

She also brings home baby rabbits, snakes, lizards and of course birds. Always alive and uninjured. I think she enjoys watching the dogs chase them around the house.

Sometimes I almost wish I had a bug problem instead
There is also some stuff out by Combat (can get at wal-mart or wherever). It looks like a small tube of caulking. Just put it way back in you cabinets and on the track of your drawers and Ta Da! The roaches not only eat the stuff, but they also take it back to their nests which is how it is so effective! Between the powder and this stuff you should rid yourself in no time!
I have also said this numerous times...cat's will keep them away as well, however, if they are hidden back in your wall or something, the cats won't do the trick unless they start coming out rather than hiding in the dishwasher. A cat MAY NOT LIKE being locked in the dishwasher...LMBO Just kidding!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
There is also some stuff out by Combat (can get at wal-mart or wherever). It looks like a small tube of caulking. Just put it way back in you cabinets and on the track of your drawers and Ta Da! The roaches not only eat the stuff, but they also take it back to their nests which is how it is so effective! Between the powder and this stuff you should rid yourself in no time!
I have also said this numerous times...cat's will keep them away as well, however, if they are hidden back in your wall or something, the cats won't do the trick unless they start coming out rather than hiding in the dishwasher. A cat MAY NOT LIKE being locked in the dishwasher...LMBO Just kidding!
Cool! We've only had a couple of roaches in 7 years here, but it's good info! Maybe my cats kill the roaches BEFORE they bring in all the other little creatures

Old 04-09-2007, 04:46 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,949,038 times
Thumbs up flatulence is a real killer of bugs!

My understanding was that Boric Acid is safe and harmless to pets and animals. It’s not an acid ~ acid type eating through things that kills the bugs. The roach walks around in the “light powdering” gets it onto their little feet etc. and then tries to clean themselves by using their mouth. The boric acid is ingested into their system and develops a stomach type of gas that they can’t pass and get out of their body. Bugs don’t pass gas and they can’t live with it. Flatulence is a bigger problem for bugs then humans. ;-) just a thought and something I heard years ago from a man who studied roaches for a living at the university. Again Boric Acid isn’t harmful unless ingested because it causes flatulence.

When you can't pass gas it can be a real killer just ask any bug.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 04-09-2007 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: updated

Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,322,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post

I poured bleach down my kitchen drains and also in my dishwasher and ran it on hot today. I am not sure that will fix the problem. I actually saw one crawl back into the vent on the bottom last night.

Needless to say, my dishwasher is useless to me this way. HELP! How do I fix this problem? I have rarely seen maybe one in the dishwasher in 3 years of living here and now this...

I live in N. Scottsdale. Anyone know if Scottsdale sprays the sewers? Also, I read something about the city flushing the water and how they really come out in droves after that. Anyone know anything about this? I am THOROUGHLY disgusted. My kitchen is always clean too. THANK YOU if you can offer me some hope.

P.S. there is a bad smell coming out of my drains. I poured bleach down and anyone ever have this problem? Again, I don't keep food in the garbage disposal or anything so I don't know why it smells bad? Anyone know if this is a water flushing deal?

YUk! Do you have lots of Palm Trees around you. I remember a friend of mine had them really bad and they were breeding in the Palm Trees and coming in the house. Those roaches are a tough bunch. I never had a problem with them in Glendale or Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>