U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 AM

137 posts, read 322,690 times

Advertisements

I'm sure nothing's looking good out there. Nothing's looking good here in NY. But just wondering if anyone has a feel for what the job market is like for software developers in the Phoenix area.

I have 10 years of experience, mostly in Java. I've done a bunch of different types of development over the years - Web development, distributed computing, scientific programming. I also know C#, Matlab, and SharePoint.

Anyone know a good recruiter for tech jobs out there?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

385 posts, read 1,192,659 times
Unfortunately, they call wearing a headset in a cubicle a : TECH JOB. You didn't state your degree. In Arizona that means you probably don't have one. Nothing is more portable and easier to move offshore than computer programming. I can get a degreed engineer in India for 3 bucks per hour.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM

157 posts, read 398,041 times
As far as I know Wells Fargo is looking for candidates. I can provide some recruiter contact

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

137 posts, read 322,690 times
jeez, horseplayer, you trying to depress me even more than I already am about job prospects. I'm sure it's bad, but $3/hr???!!!! - what language is that for - Object-Oriented Cobol?

I'm not so sure computer programming is THE easiest thing to move offshore. I'd say those poor souls with the head sets are even more vulnerable than me.

I did forget to mention - my degree is in electrical engineering, but all of my experience is in software.

andrzejn, thanks for the tip on Wells Fargo. I'd love to hear about any recruiters you'd recommend.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,246,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsheridan View Post
jeez, horseplayer, you trying to depress me even more than I already am about job prospects. I'm sure it's bad, but $3/hr???!!!! - what language is that for - Object-Oriented Cobol?

I'm not so sure computer programming is THE easiest thing to move offshore. I'd say those poor souls with the head sets are even more vulnerable than me.

I did forget to mention - my degree is in electrical engineering, but all of my experience is in software.

andrzejn, thanks for the tip on Wells Fargo. I'd love to hear about any recruiters you'd recommend.
As someone who hires and works with IT contractors I can assure you that the $3 rate is a huge exaggeration. I can also state that while there are companies that are laying off their US-based developers, testers, etc., in favor of offshore contractors, there are other groups that tried that, learned that "you get what you pay for" and are back looking for resources closer to home. It sounds good on paper to replace someone with somebody who costs half the price, until you find out that it takes 3 such people to get the job done, that the project takes longer and that the resulting product is not of the same quality. That has been my experience anyway.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM

1,170 posts, read 5,004,772 times
If you are looking for the most favorable state to move to check into Texas. They are doing everything they can to make that state competitive and the job growth there beats the other 49 all together.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,317,398 times
Yeah, horseplayer is exaggerating big time. I agree. I am in the software area and have been in this field for many many years. I had six weeks of downtime since 1996. A total of seven weeks of downtime since June of 1985!!!! I don't stick to Phoenix though. I work mostly in other parts of the U.S.

There may be a couple firms in Scottsdale doing Java. Why don't you browse www.Dice.com? It has lots of tech jobs and a great search engine.

My own motto is "Nothing is permanent, but change is." (I stole that from Neil Peart's lyrics). So I'm prepared for downtime. For my own type of software engineering, I see no end in site for the next five years. But I saved like a squirrel and stayed out of the credit bubble. I like to do the opposite of the crowds.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 PM

223 posts, read 562,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Yeah, horseplayer is exaggerating big time. I agree. I am in the software area and have been in this field for many many years. I had six weeks of downtime since 1996. A total of seven weeks of downtime since June of 1985!!!! I don't stick to Phoenix though. I work mostly in other parts of the U.S.

There may be a couple firms in Scottsdale doing Java. Why don't you browse www.Dice.com? It has lots of tech jobs and a great search engine.

My own motto is "Nothing is permanent, but change is." (I stole that from Neil Peart's lyrics). So I'm prepared for downtime. For my own type of software engineering, I see no end in site for the next five years. But I saved like a squirrel and stayed out of the credit bubble. I like to do the opposite of the crowds.
I've had 6 weeks of downtime since 1983 , living and working in the Bay Area. My girlfriend's company offshored a bunch of development, only to pull it all back after a failed initiative. They also tried moving stuff to South Carolina, and ended up pulling that back too. Finally, they did move her job out to PA and she was laid off - after 17 years.

I'm not saying offshoring can't be done, but you have to have tremendous structure and discipline, and a big travel budget, which ends up meaning you only save a small amount. Get it wrong, and that saving is a loss.

To be successful you need to get established, build a reputation, get contacts. Getting started seems the hardest, these days.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,167,479 times
The best thing to do if you need to work right away is contract gigs. And be open about the type of work you will accept.
Use dice.com NOT monster.
Also in the Phoenix area - send your resume and cover letter to:
Kforce
Jefferson Wells
General Employment
Resources Global
Robert Half

For now don't be picky take what you can get - better will come later.
Go ahead and apply for full time jobs just realize that the hiring process for those positions in this market is LONG and fickle. Best to be working contract gigs in the background while looking for full time work.

Good places to apply for FT IT jobs while working contract gigs:
General Dynamics
Godaddy
Scottrade
Charles Schwab
Hewlitt Packard
Boeing
Petsmart Coporate
Safeway Corporate
Pinnacle West Corp.
Banner Health
United Health
American Express (FYI they are going through layoffs in non IT areas).

Good luck to you.

Last edited by _Charles_; 05-20-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,167,479 times

Oh and few more:

Paypal/Ebay Corporate
Intel
ATK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>