U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 62,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqstyle View Post

This photo shows Rosson House, a 1890's home in what was the original Phoenix Township. It currently sits near the ASU campus in downtown Phoenix. Lovingly restored, it shows a slice of what life was like in Phoenix at the turn of the 20th century.
Wonderful photo! As a preservationist, I'm looking forward to touring the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM

963 posts, read 2,155,673 times
Default Phoenix, Arizona Photo of the Day - June 3, 2009

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/metro-light-rail-phoenix1.jpg (broken link)

A stylized treatment of a Metro Light Rail Station. Phoenix is a pretty clean city. In many big city photos I usually have to edit out some trash from my photos . . . that's pretty rare in Phoenix!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM

Default Phoenix Photo of the Day June 5, 2009 ABQStyle

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/arizona-state-mercado.jpg (broken link)

Today's photo is a scene from The Mercado, the stylish complex that is part of ASU's downtown campus. To my eye, one of the coolest architectural expressions in downtown Phoenix!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM

495 posts, read 997,344 times
Nice Pics Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 PM

17,842 posts, read 39,847,284 times
Quote:

Today's photo is a scene from The Mercado, the stylish complex that is part of ASU's downtown campus. To my eye, one of the coolest architectural expressions in downtown Phoenix!
Well, those of us who have lived here longer see the Mercado a little differently. It was built by our former governor and erstwhile developer J Fife Symington, his company was sued over that development for reasons I don't remember at the moment. It was originally built as retail, I don't think all the space ever rented, none of the stores/restaurants could survive. That, and it's always looked to me like a cheap movie set. If ASU had not moved in there, it would be one more empty shopping center, right in downtown Phx.

Nice picture, though, as always!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,133,329 times
Yep I remember when the Mercado tried to start up back in the late 80s. I didn't work. I was in grad school at ASU then. And I remember when ASU took over the space.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info on The Mercado. That explains its name too!

I thought it was strange that there was so little info available regarding its architect and designers. As a misplaced New Yorker, I loved the design of the Mercado. Light, airy and not as ponderous as most downtown buildings. Plus, it has witty stylish touches that hint at its ethnic influences. I love my buildings like I like my food . . . spicy and full of local flavor! If I were ASU, I would feature the Mercado on marketing materials meant for east coast folks. Notwithstanding its history . . . it is a stylish little development.

Here is another photo that shows something we can all agree on--beautiful Phoenix sunsets! This one captured in Papago Park.

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/papago-sunset-red-rock.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,847,284 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info on The Mercado. That explains its name too!

I thought it was strange that there was so little info available regarding its architect and designers. As a misplaced New Yorker, I loved the design of the Mercado. Light, airy and not as ponderous as most downtown buildings. Plus, it has witty stylish touches that hint at its ethnic influences. I love my buildings like I like my food . . . spicy and full of local flavor! If I were ASU, I would feature the Mercado on marketing materials meant for east coast folks. Notwithstanding its history . . . it is a stylish little development.
If they wanted to build something that looked like old Mexico (think Tlaquepaque in Sedona), they needed to use an exterior look that wasn't quite so flat and phony looking. I'll admit that my distaste for the buildings may be influenced by the checkered history and the failed businesses in its wake.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,415,480 times
I think the Mercado is aesthetically pleasing and clean, but I think its past also clouds my judgement on the place as well observer53.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM

495 posts, read 997,344 times
Can wait to come see all this Im counting down the days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area