U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 46,007 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I apologize for making yet another thread about photo radar, but I've meticulously gone over most of the existing ones and none really address my question.

I got flashed on I-17 going 11 over, got the ticket in the mail, and not knowing any better at the time, I went to the website on the ticket to "view the violation photos online." I put in the code on the ticket and watched the video.

My question is: By doing this did I waive my right to proper service? I know that the tickets have to be delivered in person to be valid unless one returns the mailed ticket with his or her signature admitting guilt. Since I never signed anything and nothing is in writing stating that I received the ticket, am I still in trouble for going to the website?

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/court...v2-3-31-08.pdf
(refer to section c. Correspondence)

also,

ARIZONA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE
4(f)

Thanks alot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 45,157 times
Hi....I am in the same situation...I also saw the violation video and dont know if I have waived my rt to be properly served....
did u get an answer to this question through some other forum or have u decided anything? I am really confused

Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 AM

No I never got what I feel to be a definitive answer but I did call the number on the ticket and without providing any information, asked whether or not viewing the video could be construed as proof that I had received the ticket. I called twice and spoke with two different people, who both seemed confused by the question but replied that no, I had not waived my right to be properly served. That was enough for me - I didn't respond the ticket and am not going to answer my door for strangers for a few months.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,073,672 times
Anyone wanting to dodge the process server should read this article:

Think you've dodged that photo radar ticket? | 3 ON YOUR SIDE | Arizona | azfamily.com (http://www.azfamily.com/news/3oys/stories/phoenix-3oys-news-020509-photo-radar-tickets.21a5062d.html - broken link)

If the local munucipality uses the alternate service process then you may be driving with a suspended license and not know it. If you're stopped for any reason and the license is suspended, then I believe you will go to jail and your car may be towed.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM

9,092 posts, read 18,051,487 times
Quote:
But exactly what is alternate service? Well, it's permission to simply leave a notice on your doorstep and also mail you the notice one more time.
it also looks like it's just scottsdale at this moment

Quote:
The use of alternate service isn't widespread, in part because it's kind of a pain for the court system. Once a dodger has been identified, city prosecutors file a motion with the court for alternate service, attaching an affidavit showing the due diligence of the process server. Servers must have tried to deliver the ticket three times -- at morning, noon and night on separate days.
If the judge grants the motion, the prosecutor's office sends the citation back to the process serving company. A server makes another trip to the residence, taping a copy of the citation to the front door. Another copy is mailed to the motorist -- but this time the mailed citation has the legal weight of an officer-issued ticket.
Kyle Smith of Hawkins and E-Z Messenger Legal Support Providers LLC, which serves photo enforcement tickets for Scottsdale and the Arizona Department of Public Safety, says Scottsdale uses alternate service in about 50 to 75 cases a month.
Phoenix - Valley Fever - Photo Enforcement in Scottsdale Goes Alternative When People Dodge Process Servers

Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM

That's a little disconcerting - Is there any website that one could go to to check the status of his or her license?

Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,514,178 times
The motor vehicle divisions website is: ServiceArizona

You can check your driving record on this site. And luckily, it is not just Scottsdale that is using the alternate service, it is all municipalities. My speedster neighbor just received one. I think he is getting his license suspended anyway because he has racked up too many points! LOL

Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,051,487 times
i have yet to see any verified source mention anyone other than scottsdale - they've been the forerunner of this scam by first setting up lights at their intersections and then somehow gaining jursidiction on the 101

look into it beyond what you hear on a message board regardless of what side may validate your view

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,503,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Anyone wanting to dodge the process server should read this article:

Think you've dodged that photo radar ticket? | 3 ON YOUR SIDE | Arizona | azfamily.com (http://www.azfamily.com/news/3oys/stories/phoenix-3oys-news-020509-photo-radar-tickets.21a5062d.html - broken link)

If the local municipality uses the alternate service process then you may be driving with a suspended license and not know it. If you're stopped for any reason and the license is suspended, then I believe you will go to jail and your car may be towed.

Wow! I had no idea this has been going on. Things have changed since I moved to Vegas. I really appreciate you posting this and letting me know since I do periodically go to Scottsdale. I have gotten away with every photo radar ticket by ignoring them and the process servers, and that exceeds 20 of them. I just checked the service Arizona website and my AZ license is still valid. Thank God!!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,512 times
what if you were driving a rental car and you are from out of state? also does anyone know if points go against your record for a camera ticket - speeding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>