U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM

67 posts, read 291,886 times

Advertisements

What are some fun trips to take on a 3 day weekend? We live in Phoenix. Looking for something less than a 4 hour drive. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM

219 posts, read 719,028 times
If You are into water, rent a boat out in Lake Havasu, lots of things to see, great weekend trip.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM

67 posts, read 291,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
If You are into water, rent a boat out in Lake Havasu, lots of things to see, great weekend trip.
Thanks for the suggestion. We went there last summer and had a blast. Wanting to try something different. I do love lakes though. Anywhere else you can think of? I was thinking maybe Slide Rock Park in Sedona but I know that it can get really busy...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,029,986 times
Looks like this weekend Phoenix is going to be mid 80's and windy. Here is a list of lakes I found on Wikipedia. List of lakes in Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I love the ones in the far north because of how quiet they are. No gas power motors = silence

Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 PM

1,774 posts, read 5,978,772 times
Is Lake Havasu just crazy crowded in the summer? I'd like to go. But judging from all the traffic headed west on Rt. 62 when I was headed east on Mem. Day Weekend, I don't think I want to deal with the crowds.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 AM

422 posts, read 1,188,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NezzaBlue View Post
What are some fun trips to take on a 3 day weekend? We live in Phoenix. Looking for something less than a 4 hour drive. Thanks!
Here are some attractions other than AZ lakes:

1. Kitt Peak Observatory on the Tohono O'odham Reservation southwest of Tucson.

2. Tucson Mountain Park, Desert Museum, Old Tucson Studios, Mission San Xavier del Bac, Saguaro National Park and Gates Pass, all on the west, southwest part of Tucson.

3. Scenic Catalina Highway to the top of Mt. Lemmon.

4. Madera Canyon in the Santa Rita Mountains near Green Valley.

5. Town of Tubac, great shops!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 AM

2,897 posts, read 9,746,399 times
You can head down to Rocky Point, it's only a 3-4 hour drive.

I would reccomend Sedona too, lots of hiking and shops to see.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM

219 posts, read 719,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Is Lake Havasu just crazy crowded in the summer? I'd like to go. But judging from all the traffic headed west on Rt. 62 when I was headed east on Mem. Day Weekend, I don't think I want to deal with the crowds.
Yes real busy in the summer, more so now that school is out. Maybe a little slower because of the down economy.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM

76 posts, read 199,022 times
Default Muley Point above Monument Valley

Drive to the overlook over monument valley, camp in the most amazing spot on earth - Muley Point
Muley Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eat at the Swinging steak right near Mexican Hat.
Swingin' Steak |Mexican Hat Lodge | Good Eats USA (http://goodeatsusa.com/MexicanHat.html - broken link)

Well, OK, 5 hours. But worth it...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,414,835 times
You should definitely head to Flagstaff! It is MUCH cooler right now though. I think they aren't out of the 60's during the day and near the 30's at night...but it might be cool to don some sweatshirts, sweaters, or jackets during the summer.

Currently is is 42 degrees in Flagstaff at 8:48pm. Tomorrow will "warm" up to 67 degrees but tomorrow night will dip to 39 degrees. Flagstaff is about an hour and 45 minute to 2 hour drive north from Phoenix.

Flagstaff's downtown is awesome. Tons of cool, unique shops and their mall is really nice! Looks like a log cabin mixed with Biltmore office buildings because of the pretty glass and stone. It is still being expanded as well. The campus of Northern Arizona University is VERY pretty and BIG. Lots of urban trails running through campus and town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area