Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times

Advertisements

So, as I am ever hopeful...I decided we were not going to have any more really cold weather and started in the yard(s) assessing the damage and trimming up plants after the "Great Freeze of 2013"!
This will be a several weekend process as I have a pretty extensive landscaping scheme (90+ plants and 14 trees, plus lawn front and back).

Anyway, almost every aspect of my yard was affected - some more than others:

GRASS - As it seemed this entire winter was cooler than normal - my rye grass never really took as good of hold as I would have liked. The recent rains have helped - but of course they also brought the annual weeds!! Been spraying like crazy already to keep up... The rains also started the Summer Bermuda up already so I think my Rye will be gone pretty quick this season.

BUSHES - I have all sorts of bushes - the Orange Honeysuckles were almost completey destroyed, BUT, I am starting to see a few pop ups of green from the roots - so they apparently will survive, but basically my 3 foot tall plants will be starting from scratch). I cant remember the name, but the green ones that get the purple flowers cam through almost unscathed? Wierd.

PLANTS - I have all sorts of plants too from succulent ground cover to bougenvilla and Oleanders. The Cady plants were almost all dessimated but, like the Honeysuckles, the root systems survived and Im getting some new sprouts - but its just such a shame - 5 years of growth of these and several other plants will have to start all over!! The Oleanders, Bougenvilla, Lantanas, and those little green succulents with the white flowers all have problems most every year, but they grow so fast I am not worried - just a lot of work cutting away all the dead material!

TREES - My Willow Acacias barely show any signs of trouble. They are pretty mature now at 5 years so I just have a few browned leaves and branches on the edge. The ASH tree is fine and is already sprouting new green leaves !! The Oaks got a little damage at the tops I ll have to prune, but otherwise seem ok....

MY BIGGEST WORRY???? My 4 Sissoo trees!! None of them are showing any signs of new leaves yet - I know its a bit early - but these have been the most sensitive in the past - I forget exactly when I can expect to see any signs of life from them - anyone know? But right now, whats left on the branches is pretty brown.

Oh, and of course I sucked up a TON of leaves today!

Hope everyone elses yards did ok....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Patience first then wait between the 1st of March and the 15th of March for the majority of plants to see some healthy growth again. Some plants are starting to show green now, others will be a few weeks down the road. The warmer the weather stays the quicker the recovery time.
You can always check you plants anytime for being alive by scratching with your thumbnail along the bark and if you see any signs of green underneath then the plants will recover.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
My Sissoos have teeny tiny little buds, after being in total brown out. I shook the branches I could reach so now they look really naked. But seeing the little buds gave me hope.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
GRASS - As it seemed this entire winter was cooler than normal - my rye grass never really took as good of hold as I would have liked. The recent rains have helped - but of course they also brought the annual weeds!! Been spraying like crazy already to keep up... The rains also started the Summer Bermuda up already so I think my Rye will be gone pretty quick this season.

I've run into many people who have never heard of this Weed Preventers | Preen.com . In fact, a "landscaper" for 20 years back in MN never heard of it. Here in AZ, I use a knockoff brand from Home Depot with great success. I think the directions say to reapply every 3 months. I apply it around every 10 months because the small amount of rain (small wash off and dissolves at a slower pace). I bet I could go a year or more but I didn't want to experiment with getting weeds.

We bought a foreclosure back in early 2011. It was a jungle. A pre-emergent make the rock back and side yard manageable. ZERO weeds will germinate and now my rocks are weed-free without ever spraying.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
I have pets and am afraid to spray for weeds.
I have to get rid of mine the old fashioned way and pull 'em out. What a pain!

Would love to know of any pet friendly alternative. Can't do boiling water, too much ground to cover!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I have pets and am afraid to spray for weeds.
I have to get rid of mine the old fashioned way and pull 'em out. What a pain!

Would love to know of any pet friendly alternative. Can't do boiling water, too much ground to cover!
Glyphosate (Roundup) has very low toxicity to pets and people.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 PM

168 posts, read 456,416 times
We also have a large backyard with lots of trees and shrubs, and it's a mess. The Sissoos look pitiful, and I think our Jacarandas are probably dead.

The only shrubs that have any life in them are the Oleanders. But those things are nearly impossible to kill. Even our Lantana, which usually grows like weeds, are dried up and brown. I know this happens every year, but it seems worse this year. Not looking forward to having stubs of shrubs everywhere after we prune off the dead stuff. But I guess this is what we get for trying to make the desert look like Hawaii

Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I'm starting to look into artificial grass and shrubs. A neighbor has got me hooked. His yard looks fabulous regardless of weather, water or sun. The fake stuff is looking so real that I might invest and take the chance.
Now is the time since my whole yard, with exception of my Bismarck palms are pretty dead. LOL, I had a hard time telling if the Bismarck's were dead but alas they survived and I see new shoots.

I'm about to order some plastic succulents.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Don't trim the dead stuff yet.

Give your plants some time to recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area