U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 27,776 times

Advertisements

At the end of July, I'll be driving from Albuquerque to Phoenix. I'm older, and I don't like big highways or insanely high speeds (above 65 is pushing it for me. Feel free to laugh. I understand.) My car doesn't do well in high winds, and I don't care about time or extra miles added on, so long as I know I'm driving a safe, well-traveled road that avoids hairpin curves, hordes of semitrailers, and double-decker highways. Can somebody tell me what the easiest, most peaceful way to make the drive is?
I'm slow on the uptake when it comes to directions, so if you could be somewhat specific, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks much in advance for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,483,591 times
Cant you just jump on the 1-10, bam, bam you're there.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,200,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
Cant you just jump on the 1-10, bam, bam you're there.
No...I-10 to Las Cruces, then I-25 to Albuquerque.

Or I-17 to I-40.

Or go through the mountains (Globe, Showlow, Springerville, Soccorro, then I-25 to Albuquerque)

Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,577,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
No...I-10 to Las Cruces, then I-25 to Albuquerque.

Or I-17 to I-40.

Or go through the mountains (Globe, Showlow, Springerville, Soccorro, then I-25 to Albuquerque)
I believe Greta is coming TO Phoenix. But yes, I would head south on I-25 then West through Silver City, NM into the White Mountains in Arizona. I'm not sure if it is free of hairpin turns and tight, mountain roads but it would be "less busy" relative to the main interstates. And much slower because you will be traveling on mountain grade highways.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 AM

4,468 posts, read 9,967,078 times
Or pick up a Southwest Airlines DING! fare for $39 each way......

Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 30,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I believe Greta is coming TO Phoenix. But yes, I would head south on I-25 then West through Silver City, NM into the White Mountains in Arizona. I'm not sure if it is free of hairpin turns and tight, mountain roads but it would be "less busy" relative to the main interstates. And much slower because you will be traveling on mountain grade highways.

yea i believe it's the 25 down to the 60 west it goes through all the mountains i went that way before takes like 9 or 10 hours because of mountains and towns.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM

9,092 posts, read 18,215,122 times
i haven't tried the southern route as it would seem like it would just take way too long

i would say the absolute easiest is from abq connect to I-40 to I-17 ........ 40 is pretty much flat and straight across, the 17 is a downhill run that can get a little curvey and high traffic at times ........ if you stay right though you could probably run 60-65 and feel fine

i've cut through the mountains a few times as well, eventually dropping onto the 60 - much more scenic drive, slow going, but a ton of hairpin curves - especially if you drive up and down the stunning salt river canyon

recently though I've found it much easier (and cheaper) to just fly

Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 40,240,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i haven't tried the southern route as it would seem like it would just take way too long

i would say the absolute easiest is from abq connect to I-40 to I-17 ........ 40 is pretty much flat and straight across, the 17 is a downhill run that can get a little curvey and high traffic at times ........ if you stay right though you could probably run 60-65 and feel fine

i've cut through the mountains a few times as well, eventually dropping onto the 60 - much more scenic drive, slow going, but a ton of hairpin curves - especially if you drive up and down the stunning salt river canyon

recently though I've found it much easier (and cheaper) to just fly
The route you described would be OK during most of the year. No comment on Flag winters.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM

963 posts, read 2,204,199 times
I also agree that the I-40 to I-17 is the best route, the trickiest part is from Flagstaff to Phoenix when you do have some curves that can be a bit discomforting to a timid driver not used to mountain roads. Just do like the trucks do; slow down, put on your blinkers of you need to really slow down, and drive within your comfort zone in the right hand lane. There is no rush, get there safe. If you drive on the weekends with an early start you will avoid alot of traffic. It is actually a pleasant drive that I always look forward to, especially the part from Albuquerque to Flagstaff.

The last time I drove in mid July my air-conditioner failed on the way to Phoenix from Flagstaff. It was the slow descent into Dante's Inferno. What a miserable ride that was!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 22,990 times
If your a scenic road kind of guy, then you can take I-40 through Gallup then exit off in Holbrook in AZ and drive southwest thru the scary and dangerous Arizona state routes that have absolutely no sholders and break-down lanes the rest of the way. but it's a pretty nice drive thru the forests.

If yr an interstate guy, take 40 all the way to flagstaff and down to phoenix and your there. Please dont take I 25 down to Las Cruces cause that'll take clear out of your way, unless you want to drive from Las Cruces to Deming 35 mi west Of LC and say hi to the hobos picking up trash at the gas station showin their cracks at ya. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area