U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,325 posts, read 13,160,297 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law got a great deal last year on a home in west Glendale. This subdivision is about three years old, and guess what?

Yep, the whole neighborhood is infested with the pesky arachnids. She spent $600 for an exterminator and removed some debris from her back yard, etc.

She found one in her bed yesterday....

Pleez share your experiences, and what you did to eradicate these 'lil buggers.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM

36,698 posts, read 46,947,179 times
Sounds like the exterminator stung her worse than the scorpions might. My experience is there is very little you can do. Some suggest a cat. Get rid of the food sources for scorpions (other bugs) and hope for the best.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM

17,862 posts, read 40,765,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sounds like the exterminator stung her worse than the scorpions might. My experience is there is very little you can do. Some suggest a cat. Get rid of the food sources for scorpions (other bugs) and hope for the best.
An exterminator I used to know told me that you can't get rid of them with chemicals, unless you HIT them with the chemicals, which generally doesn't happen. So, the exterminator was a waste of time and money, except to get rid of at least some of the other bugs.

Keeping the yard and house clean and free of debris will perhaps help them go elsewhere. They like living in undisturbed, cluttered areas where bugs are plentiful. Hence the phenomenon of the little critters running into nearby neighborhoods when vacant lots are cleared.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,092,331 times
My house was built on an old orchard so I've had them for 30 years. The main thing is to seal every door and window so they cannot get in the house. I replaced my french doors with sliding doors and that fixed that problem. What I do during the warmer months is take a black light and look for scorpions on my block wall fence, that is where they hang out. I will spare you how I kill them.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,094,067 times
Simple solution, get a jar, a pair of tweezers, needle nose plyers, etc., and a black light (Home Depot). Turn out the lights (at night) and look on walls, baseboards, etc., for your "in house" scorpions. They will "glow" in the black light. Place them in jar with alchohol, if you want, and "discard". I would do this nightly until you find no more. You can do the same thing in the yard, looking on walls, tree trunks, etc., however, there will be a limited # of them in your house (assuming that you have a well sealed home), you may find them for years in the yard.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 PM

69 posts, read 212,432 times
Cats are also great scorpion hunter-killers. We don't have cats, but our neighbor has 3 and they kill scorpions all the time. That neighbor backs up to a wash and gets more scorpions than us, as we don't back up to a wash or open desert. Lucky for us we've had only one scorpion in 7+ years of living in our home!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,046,399 times
Read this thread earlier and lo and behold - just saw my very first "inside" scorpion in the year I ve been here scurry across my tile! No problem catching up with him since he was freaked out in the light and scurrying in circles! He is no longer with us.

I know having one means more, but I did have my sliding door open, and my screen though closed, is not the greatest seal....pretty sure he scooted in that way...

I dont freak about this stuff...I ve never been bitten by one, or if I have I attributed it to a regular spider bite (I have had a couple of those since my arrival here last year), so it wasnt that bad and went away in a couple days (again that is IF it was a scorpion bite in the first place).

Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 AM

338 posts, read 1,563,817 times
Oh I feel for your SIL. I had one in my bed too and it stung me! That was unpleasant and quite annoying, pain for hours and part of my arm was numb for 48 hours. Good times. It was actually the first scorpion sting I ever had living in Phoenix for almost 30 years. It is not too common for people to get stung or have them in their home for that matter. It depends a lot on where you live. We lived in an apartment complex in North Phoenix surrounded by a mountain preserve and they were everywhere. We found several a month (inside and out) in all different sizes. We bought a black light and went around every night with it to make sure there were no scorps in the bedroom before I went to bed. It was a HUGE PIA but worth it for me to sleep knowing I would not be crawling into bed with one.

Exterminating does not get rid of the scorpions but it will at least eliminate or decrease their food source, (i.e. other insects and arachnids). I would tell your sister to get a black light at the hardware store and just shake her shoes and clothes before putting them on and watch wear you step. Sorry I do not have a solution to get rid of them because we were never able to get rid of them completely.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 35,912 times
I have been stung 2x by them.....One was under the patio table i was sitting at and fell in my lap and i thought it was a fly so i swiped it ..thats when it stung me.

Putting glue traps in the garage is a good way to catch them and prevent them from getting into the house.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM

11,526 posts, read 13,534,182 times
I heard from someone who lived in Cave Creek and was stung a few times here and there by scorpions that she used the blueing dye that older woman use to dye their hair with. I guess it's just called blueing dye? She used it right at the sting site and it decreased her symptoms a lot. Not sure which ingredient was the helpful one, but it worked for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area