Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 AM

6 posts, read 29,335 times

Advertisements

You all were very helpful in your comments to my previous post. I'll take I-40 to Flagstaff, as recommended. However, I'd really like to avoid I-17, since many of you mentioned the winding mountain curves. Is there a specific non I-17 route you'd recommend from Flagstaff to Phoenix? I guess the other question is, does I-17 have guardrails when it winds through the mountains?
Thanks again for all your help and patience with a nervous driver.

Last edited by Greta2009; 06-21-2009 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,979,801 times
I-17 is about as smooth and steady as it gets. Yes. There are guard rails.

Anything else is going to be even more winding and nerve-racking.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 AM

6 posts, read 29,335 times
Thank you!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 AM

639 posts, read 2,700,290 times
Last time I drove to Albuquerque I drove the through Flagstaff on I-17 on the trip to Albuquerque and on the way back I drove through Show Low and Payson. The trip through Show Low and Payson isn't that much longer and is a more pleasant drive IMO.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 AM

963 posts, read 2,294,064 times
Default I-17 Flagstaff to Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta2009 View Post
You all were very helpful in your comments to my previous post. I'll take I-40 to Flagstaff, as recommended. However, I'd really like to avoid I-17, since many of you mentioned the winding mountain curves. Is there a specific non I-17 route you'd recommend from Flagstaff to Phoenix? I guess the other question is, does I-17 have guardrails when it winds through the mountains?
Thanks again for all your help and patience with a nervous driver.
My situation is a bit similar to yours. Coming from New York, I had never driven on mountain roads with switchbacks and tight curves. As a results, I am what you call a timid driver on certain parts of I-17. There are two parts of the trip that you may find the most challenging, the first is about twenty miles past Sedona and the second about 30 miles before Phoenix. They are very safe stretches of road with multi-wide lanes, gentle curves and one-way traffic. However to an inexperienced mountain driver like me they seemed challenging. The best thing to do is drive within your safety zone and, like the slower trucks, put on your hazard lights to warn other drivers. Stay in the right lane and do not let other drivers force you to change your pace. You will find that most likely you are not the only driver doing this. The other drivers will move over to the next lane and give you plenty of room, especially if you have your hazard lights on.

Since you are driving this road for the first time, it is best to avoid driving it during the rush hour (aprox. 4 to 6pm on weekdays) as the traffic is heavier and fast moving. Also avoid driving after dark. In both cases the road is perfectly safe. However, as a timid driver you will be most comfortable driving during well lit conditions in relatively light traffic.

I have driven these roads numerous times in the past couple of years and become used to them. Keep a positive attitude, drive within your comfort zone, and take breaks at rest stops now and then to refresh yourself if needed. You will find the drive much more enjoyable than you anticipated!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,996,004 times
Greta....

I-40, from Abq to Flag, has no scary sections....traffic will increase as you get right into Flag and the interchange with I-17 toward Phx was recently improved dramatically in Flag...

interstate highways are designed to be the safest type in the country....but you do need to keep up with the flow of traffic, as slow drivers can certainly be as dangerous as fast drivers....stay in the right lane unless you are actively passing somebody....

the two areas abqstyle mention are (driving S toward Phx from Flag) (1) the climb out of the Verde Valley after leaving the Genl. Crook Trail exit and up to the Cherry Rd. exit....you'll be climbing and going around much slower trucks who will be in the right lane....if not going fast (but still passing in the left lane), you may feel pressured by faster drivers tailgating you in that lane...keep your speed up and move over when able to....and (2) the descent off Black Mesa immediately S of Sunset Point rest area (which is possibly still closed)....this is a roller coaster headed downhill into the Black Canyon City area....probably best for you to drive the speed limit or just under and stay in the right lane....faster drivers will be in the left lane and slower trucks will be in the right....pass if you can get around quickly before a tailgater appears in the left lane....

don't drive I-17 S toward Phx on a Sunday afternoon or end of a holiday weekend in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Greta....

I-40, from Abq to Flag, has no scary sections....traffic will increase as you get right into Flag and the interchange with I-17 toward Phx was recently improved dramatically in Flag...

interstate highways are designed to be the safest type in the country....but you do need to keep up with the flow of traffic, as slow drivers can certainly be as dangerous as fast drivers....stay in the right lane unless you are actively passing somebody....

the two areas abqstyle mention are (driving S toward Phx from Flag) (1) the climb out of the Verde Valley after leaving the Genl. Crook Trail exit and up to the Cherry Rd. exit....you'll be climbing and going around much slower trucks who will be in the right lane....if not going fast (but still passing in the left lane), you may feel pressured by faster drivers tailgating you in that lane...keep your speed up and move over when able to....and (2) the descent off Black Mesa immediately S of Sunset Point rest area (which is possibly still closed)....this is a roller coaster headed downhill into the Black Canyon City area....probably best for you to drive the speed limit or just under and stay in the right lane....faster drivers will be in the left lane and slower trucks will be in the right....pass if you can get around quickly before a tailgater appears in the left lane....

don't drive I-17 S toward Phx on a Sunday afternoon or end of a holiday weekend in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!....
I commute fairly regularly from Sedona to Phoenix. I17 really isn't very scary and much of the traffic is regular users who know how to drive it. The regulars are, for the most part, sitting at around 80mph. You will not get pulled over for this but you may well get pulled over at anything above 82mph.

The most annoying thing for the regular users are cars/SUVs that are camped out in the left lane (and there are quite a few). However, if you maintain a reasonable speed and pull back into the right lane after passing you will have no problems.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
agree about picking your times - drive it when there is still sunlight out, avoid rush hour if at all possible in phx and sundays coming down in the summer can be busy

unfortunately you'll need to cross the terrain one way or another

the 17 is probably the easiest way, imo

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,705,418 times
It's not too bad of drive. However, I wouldn't drive I-17 north of Phoenix in a high profile (i.e. SUV) again. The wind gets underneath the vehicle and man it can get hairy.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,996,004 times
quote: The most annoying thing for the regular users are cars/SUVs that are camped out in the left lane (and there are quite a few).

jesus, those left lane campers!.....so afraid they'll lose their place in line that they just stay in the left lane "passing" so they don't get stuck behind a truck in the right lane while other people are "getting ahead"....

sorry to say this, but many of them have Cali origins....I once rode as a passenger with a Cali born and bred woman who stayed in the left lane almost the entire way from Tuc to Phx, passing or not.....just afraid of coming in second.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area