U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM

78 posts, read 269,839 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am a first time homebuyer in phoenix, and I have just some knowledge about new construction houses.

Please consider that I am first time homebuyer with low on cash as all savings are going for downpayment, any tips will be awesome

I need all you people help in few things.

1. I have around 20 windows to put faux wood blinds on and I dont think thats cheap. Any alternative to start with ? I do understand that I wont be covering all windows immediately, just the rooms I need the most ASAP.

2. Appliances : Refrigerator, Washer & Dryer & Water Softener. I am thinking of buying first 3 from best buy with price match and they dont hv installation as compare to home depot or sears.
Also, ceiling fans, which ones would be recommended ? I can install it.

3. Backyard landscaping: That I know I cant do it all on my own, what would be cheapest way to go with it. I dont want awesome backyard with pool, just some concrete and grass ( I am not plant n tree person yet).

Since I am trying to keep finances in control, I dont want to add all these into the mortgage.

Any helpful response wud be gr8.

Thanks
Saggi
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,900,680 times
Why can't you do the landscaping yourself? That's have the fun. Also will save you some money. Go to the library and get some books on landscaping and gardening. You'd be surprised at what you can do yourself.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM

157 posts, read 393,382 times
1. Check out online places like americanblinds.com
2. Check out craigslist
3. Do it yourself. From the cost perspective grass would be the cheapest. I know you said you are not a tree guy but if you put a tree you may eliminate a need for a blinds in one or two windows.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,598,189 times
I would not buy the upgrades that the builder will be pushing at you. Cosmetic things like granite counters and upgraded faucets or expensive floor tiles, you can do later. Energy saving options we did do because they are far less expensive to do during construction. We did not want to spend a fortune on drapes and we really do not like window treatments at all so we purchased bamboo/grass blinds from Pier One or World Market and we still have them. I like the way the light filters through them.
Just put down a little in the backyard as you go. It is always wise to think about your landscape plan before jumping in. I rushed and planted all the messiest trees that grow here.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Hi MotleyCrew
Yes we are not going for much upgrades except insulation and wiring.
Do you have any suggestion about ceiling fans ? I guess I will be buying like 8 of them, any place cheaper than home depot or lowes ?
As for landscaping, I cant work outside, I am not in favor of all grass either ( more work to mow it), and I dnt wanna do plants n trees
Any suggestion on going for concrete or pavers?

Thanks
Saggi

Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novsaggi View Post

Thanks
Saggi
Both concrete and pavers are expensive. You can put in colored rock much cheaper.

altus2006

Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,817,368 times
Quote:
Hi MotleyCrew
Yes we are not going for much upgrades except insulation and wiring.
Do you have any suggestion about ceiling fans ? I guess I will be buying like 8 of them, any place cheaper than home depot or lowes ?
As for landscaping, I cant work outside, I am not in favor of all grass either ( more work to mow it), and I dnt wanna do plants n trees

Thanks
Saggi
My advice on fans is to take the motor out of the box and run it on the floor before assembling it. More than once I have put a fancy fan together and then wired that stupid remote receiver that leaves no room for wires, then found out the run capacitor is shot and the fan won't turn unless you manually spin it.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Good idea,
Any specific brand you would suggest ?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,817,090 times
Quote:
1. I have around 20 windows to put faux wood blinds on and I dont think thats cheap. Any alternative to start with ? I do understand that I wont be covering all windows immediately, just the rooms I need the most ASAP.
Saggi
Hi there. Congrats. As far as the blinds, unless you're just really wanting them, consider those paper blinds they sell at Linens and Things.

They look surprisingly good, come in white, and stick on the window. You just fold them up or down during the day. I had them on the front window of a house, and they looked cute. Either for long or short term. Because they are inexpensive, if they get dirty or whatever, very easy to just put up a new set.

I think they were $4.00 per set.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,817,368 times
Quote:
Good idea,
Any specific brand you would suggest ?
Hunters used to be the best but now due to competition all brands seem kind of cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area