U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 AM

873 posts, read 907,818 times

Advertisements

I have been watching old movies on TV and some of them are in Arizona or Phoenix. I got to wondering HOW the heck people lived here without AC or anything like we have now.

What was Phoenix like before people started bringing all the trees and other foreign things from the east? and don't just say it was all desert :P
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,813,442 times
Phoenix sucks they stole my wifes pomeranian and poisoned to death her pink nose pitbull F *&^%^&K phoenix scum of the earth slime of creation

Old 06-28-2009, 04:55 PM

220 posts, read 622,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Phoenix sucks they stole my wifes pomeranian and poisoned to death her pink nose pitbull F *&^%^&K phoenix scum of the earth slime of creation

Really? what does this have to do with the topic?

Anyway....
Going downtown to the older homes I know that most of them were on swamp coolers but prior to that i have no idea.
Hogans stay really cool so I would imagine thats what a good portion of native's used prior to the area being civilized.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,166,380 times
Quote:

Anyway....
Going downtown to the older homes I know that most of them were on swamp coolers but prior to that i have no idea.
Hogans stay really cool so I would imagine thats what a good portion of native's used prior to the area being civilized.
Swamp coolers worked great if people had never felt air conditioning before. Once people felt air conditioning they noticed the heat more. Fox Theater was the first in Phoenix to have air conditioning in 1931. People were wearing sweaters during the summer because they were so cold inside. Fox had a big sign that they would put your groceries in their refrigerators while you watched a movie.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 PM

29 posts, read 130,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post

Yeah all 1,321,045 people here in Phoenix were part of your loss.

Back to the op's topic.
I heard that people would soak bed sheets and hang them in open windows. Much like an evaporative cooler.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,896,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
wilberry[/b] Phoenix sucks they stole my wifes pomeranian and poisoned to death her pink nose pitbull F *&^%^&K phoenix scum of the earth slime of creation
This guy is making this same post in every thread.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 40,338,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This guy is making this same post in every thread.
Troll has been reported.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,229,867 times
In the summer pre-AC, the businessmen and politicians all shipped their wives up to Flagstaff or Prescott for the summer. Then all the prostitutes swarmed into Phoenix and it turned into a big, sweaty, Pottersville-type party for all the men who stayed behind. It became such a scandal that Liberty magazine, one of the leading newsmagazines of the day, did an expose on the situation, which finally caused the city fathers to clamp down on the problem.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,813,442 times
not true I changed a few of the words here and there
" Yeah all 1,321,045 people here in Phoenix were part of your loss. "
I think I might have missed a couple people in Apache Junction.

Back to the op's topic.

How many ORANGE groves or farms were there and how many are left ?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,196,506 times
There are 4 million plus people in Maricopa county now. Things were nicer 20 years ago when there was half that number.

As to your situation:
I10 west will take you to SoCal
Take the Dysert Rd exit while heading west on I10 - connect down to I8 west and you will have a straight shot past Yuma to San Diego.
I10 east will take you to New Mexico and on into Texas
Hwy 60 northwest through Wickenburg will get you to Vegas

And you will find more options if you check.

Adios and best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area