Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times

Advertisements

Found some interesting pics of Scottsdale that show the contrasts between northern, southern, and central sections. Quite a difference I would say!!!!!!!!!

north Scottsdale

http://luxuryinthevalley.com/images/troon_golf.jpg (broken link)

south Scottsdale

central Scottsdale - including Downtown and Old town

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p90275-Scottsdale-Old_Town_Scottsdale.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:31 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Excellent photos as always! I haven't been to downtown Scottsdale lately, but I always enjoy the Fashion Square and Waterfront areas whenever I'm there. The last I heard, they were extending the Waterfront eastward across Scottsdale Road. Does anybody know if that is completed yet ... or is it being constructed in different phases? Maybe some photos could be posted here of the "new" Waterfront when it's all done.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
re: area E of the Waterfront.....

on the N side of the canal E of Scottsdale Rd, a condo/retail area is sprouting...not bad looking, but that specific spot has always felt, to me, a little out of the way and difficult to access....just my feeling on that....

on the S side of the canal E of Scottsdale Rd, a developer is haggling with the city and various neighbors over his plans for that spot....one issue is they want to move a pesky electric substation that's right in the way to an area where others will then be affected....this development is called something like Solis or Solaris, I think....city and developer are obviously trying to squeeze what they can out of each other and the economy is slowing things, too....older apartments in the area will be torn down....decent location if it ever goes....

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
The canal development on the East side is moving forward. The substation is being moved and that got the final OK. It's all going to be high end stuff, so not my thing. But the plans are quite cool.

What I like is the redevelopment of the older, southern housing stock. There are thousands of ranch homes which were the cutting edge neighborhoods for metro PHX in the 50s and 60s - one of which is picture #5 in the original post. This was when Thomas or Indian School & Scottsdale Rd. was the extreme NE valley. These days the houses seem bland. But they have great bones, sit on nice lots, and the location is great.

A number of savvy folks are snapping them up and giving them face lifts. If you like Trader Vics, the Clarendon, Valley Ho, Tuck Shop, etc. - these are similar DNA. I'll have to drive around and take pics of some faves.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM

joninaz.....

what is the Tuck Shop?....yes, those older S Scotts 'hoods are an awesome location now.....could be the next hotspot??....does have a bit of a negative rep right now, but.....

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

88 posts, read 221,552 times
South Scottsdale is a bit rough around the edges, but still a pretty cool place to be (at least where I hang out.)

Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times
Now here's the north-central section of Scottsdale that oozes with greenery!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:53 PM

homlish....

great shots that give a more real and candid view of the city - not some C of C brochure giving highly-posed promotional views....

but calling Scottsdale Shadows "north central"??....maybe 75 years ago it'd be!!.....

Old 08-01-2009, 04:31 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
but calling Scottsdale Shadows "north central"??....maybe 75 years ago it'd be!!.....
Scottsdale didn't even exist as a city 75 years ago. In fact, up until about 15 years ago, it was known as "the West's Most Western Town" ... not too different from Tombstone's image as an old west type of tourist attraction. Only recently has it become more cosmopolitan and diverse.

In any event, I really enjoy the various photos of the Phoenix metro area ... especially seeing all the places with greenery. The Valley in general still has a reputation of being mostly rows of subdivisions with rock lawns & cactus. It's good to see there's a lot of greenery to be found, particularly in the older parts.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I had an aunt and uncle that lived in one of those older type houses on Granada(?) back in the late 70's that was nothing fancy but it had big rooms and a big yard. I don't think that it was all that expensive then as they were not rich people. It was a very handy location to everything, IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area