U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM

17,604 posts, read 22,961,132 times

Advertisements

I had a fall out with Lennar, and got to back out of a house in Temecula for $500,000 that isn't worth $200,000 now. You have to look beyond your house at Developments they pulled out of half complete, leaving the homeowners to care for the common ground etc. I'd stay away from Lennar but that might just be me. In most cases I'd rather get a house thats already built with thee landscaping in, I've had too many problems with wrong windows, wrong cabinets etc etc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM

713 posts, read 1,351,388 times
Moderator cut: hostile language i advise to look elsewhere for a new home. pulte has been cutting corners for last 2-3 years, and it shows.

phm folks are incompetent here in AZ! and do not (DO NOT) listen to any bull about JD Power awards.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2009 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,059,724 times
"and do not (DO NOT) listen to any bull about JD Power awards."

I was going to say that I've heard many good things about Pulte. But, then again, I've never owned one myself.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"and do not (DO NOT) listen to any bull about JD Power awards."

1) I was going to say that I've heard many good things about Pulte. But, then again, I've never owned one myself.
they pulled that "we've won JD Power award" bull on me. after doing some careful research Pulte wasnt even in some markets that others were evaluated in, and, on the Pulte website they referenced JD Power and quoted a Pulte development that didnt even exist!!!

2) the JD Power awards are 1st year metrics, which are basically useless because things really wont start to fail until a few years later. i so happened to have almost every major item in my home fixed or replaced since i bought it in jan 2008 !!

they were the fat cash cow and par home quality to about 2006. after that Pulte went south with poor quality and scam practices. i mean c'mon, do i really care about a JD Power award they got in 2004 !!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,224,632 times
Since the moderator says my post broke the rules, I will amend it.

In my OPINION my Pulte home is the worst home I have ever owned. In my OPINION I would never by a Pulte home again and in my OPINION I would not recommend Pulte to anyone.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:54 PM

4,387 posts, read 8,302,386 times
I've been a builder/developer for a while now, and I would say that generally all builders are the same as far as quality goes. The reason is, the builder is not physically building the home, the subcontractors are, and they all use the same subcontractors. Drive onto any new home site, and you'll see the same framers, roofers, concrete companies, plumbers, etc. The builder has a construction manager on-site to mainly assure that schedules are met, so they check each house everyday to make sure it is ready for the next trade, and make sure that the options selected are correct, etc. They have quality assurance rep's that oversee 20 subdivisions, and rarely do much of anything. What assures the structural integrity of your home is the inspection process with the municipality. Most valley cities are the same, but Pinal County has poor inspectors, as I have experienced first hand. One inspector in Pinal Co. didn't even notice that I raised the ceiling of a home 3 feet from what the plans specified, which affected windows, studs, trusses, etc. (Plans were still at the County pending approval, and eventually were approved after the fact).

As far as JD Power, there is one builder (Blandford) that always goes above and beyond to assure customer satisfaction, because they REALLY want that #1 ranking. This is typically a result of customer satisfaction in regards to doing warranty work that they aren't required to do. One instance, they fixed the window in a neighborhood when a neighbors tile blew off in a storm into another house, 4 years after the home was built. That would not be required under registrar standards, and most would not do it. It has nothing to do with "quality" or structural integrity. But I understand that customer satisfaction after COE is important, so that is what JD Power should be referenced for, not quality.

Everyone can provide anecdotal evidence to say that one builder is higher quality than the other, but in reality, they are mostly the same.

Last edited by asufan; 11-14-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,224,632 times
I completely agree. The problem where I bought was poor on site managers. Little or no supervision.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM

asufan,

my idea of quality is to install home products to manufacturers recommendations/specs and install correctly, and to use products that dont fail within the 1st 12 months of installation. its not terriby hard to do unless the subs are incompetent. in my case Pulte had to fix my water heater 5 times, idrive garage door opener broke 6 times and then replaced with a overhead, my AC expander in attic was leaking and had to be replaced, i had bathroom cabinets replaced, on and on i can go.

if inspectors are catching lots of things wrong then the sub is basically incompetent to do the work, which is what leads to shiat quality end product.

so i respectfully disagree that all builders have about the same home quality.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,157 times
Moderator cut: against TOS I bought one in Buckeye and had nothing but issues. Btw lennar owns U.S. homes and Greystone homes

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2009 at 02:07 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 AM

4,387 posts, read 8,302,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
asufan,

my idea of quality is to install home products to manufacturers recommendations/specs and install correctly, and to use products that dont fail within the 1st 12 months of installation. its not terriby hard to do unless the subs are incompetent. in my case Pulte had to fix my water heater 5 times, idrive garage door opener broke 6 times and then replaced with a overhead, my AC expander in attic was leaking and had to be replaced, i had bathroom cabinets replaced, on and on i can go.

if inspectors are catching lots of things wrong then the sub is basically incompetent to do the work, which is what leads to shiat quality end product.

so i respectfully disagree that all builders have about the same home quality.

They are all the same, just a matter of what items they spec out, which is a price point issue. The starter home builders spec out the cheapest materials, such as off brand faucets, spring loaded single hung windows, single panel doors, unfinished garages, etc. It doesn't mean you can't pay a little more to get a higher quality, it's just a matter of ponying up the money, as these builders are down specking it to the bare bones to achieve the lowest price. That's why I reject the notion that "XYZ Builder is a terrible builder", when they all use the same subcontractors. You kind of get what you pay for.

BTW, the I-Drive is somewhat of a newer product, and I know it has had problems, and one of those problems is a lack of people that know how to repair them. I find they are great for a multi-family product, because they make virtually no noise, but from a repair standpoint, I would go with a belt drive. I don't think the builder was looking to save money by using the I-Drive, as I think they are comparable, if not more than a belt drive.

As far as your plumbing and A/C products, I can tell you there are 2-3 major A/C companies working these tracts, and a few more plumbers, so it's all the same people doing the work on your home as TW Lewis. Beleive me, there's horror stories from luxury home buyers as well.

Last edited by asufan; 11-15-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area