Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 PM

7,332 posts, read 12,409,918 times

Advertisements

According to this link:
Full Version | Internet Service Disclosure | CenturyLink

The cap for residential customers is 1TB. I remember it being 250GB. This apparently matches Cox's bandwidth caps. We recently signed up for the Price for Life promotion at 100Mbps (fiber), and this seems to be a good sign if accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,262,875 times
CL advertises their service (DSL) as being a dedicated connection and better than cox because you are not slowed down by others use. The link you just posted talks all about their network congestion. As I argued on this forum many times, you don't get away from network connection with DSL. It just changes the point of where the congestion takes place.

"CenturyLink monitors and proactively reinforces our network with additional capacity in areas where growth trends identify a need. If network congestion occurs, CenturyLink employs various techniques to ensure a positive customer experience and fair distribution of network resources.
Currently, based on our experience, if CenturyLink customers encounter any congestion, it is during the hours of peak usage - between 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. local time. During peak hours, the majority of our residential customers are attempting to use the Internet simultaneously, giving rise to a greater potential for congestion."

Old 09-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
CL advertises their service (DSL) as being a dedicated connection and better than cox because you are not slowed down by others use. The link you just posted talks all about their network congestion. As I argued on this forum many times, you don't get away from network connection with DSL. It just changes the point of where the congestion takes place.

"CenturyLink monitors and proactively reinforces our network with additional capacity in areas where growth trends identify a need. If network congestion occurs, CenturyLink employs various techniques to ensure a positive customer experience and fair distribution of network resources.
Currently, based on our experience, if CenturyLink customers encounter any congestion, it is during the hours of peak usage - between 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. local time. During peak hours, the majority of our residential customers are attempting to use the Internet simultaneously, giving rise to a greater potential for congestion."
Actually, since the network in our neighborhood is fiber to the home (GPON), it is a shared connection, although I am pretty sure there are many more users with Cox in our neighborhood than there are with CenturyLink, so probably the congestion won't be as severe as it would be with Cox. I have done some speed tests and I have so far mostly gotten advertised speeds over a wired connection. We also recently bought an 802.11ac router to take advantage of our new 100Mbps plan over Wi-Fi which would be difficult with the built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi on our CenturyLink Actiontec C2000A modem.

I haven't seen CenturyLink's ads boasting dedicated connections in a while now, since much of their growth now seems to be using fiber to the home/GPON. In parts of Anthem, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Peoria, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sun City, and Surprise, they are even offering gigabit speeds. However, CenturyLink is currently trialing G.Fast, which is the next evolution of the DSL family after VDSL2; CenturyLink intends to deploy it in areas where it is less feasible to deploy fiber (such as older neighborhoods and rural areas).

Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM

39,129 posts, read 51,424,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, since the network in our neighborhood is fiber to the home (GPON), it is a shared connection, although I am pretty sure there are many more users with Cox in our neighborhood than there are with CenturyLink, so probably the congestion won't be as severe as it would be with Cox. I have done some speed tests and I have so far mostly gotten advertised speeds over a wired connection. We also recently bought an 802.11ac router to take advantage of our new 100Mbps plan over Wi-Fi which would be difficult with the built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi on our CenturyLink Actiontec C2000A modem.

I haven't seen CenturyLink's ads boasting dedicated connections in a while now, since much of their growth now seems to be using fiber to the home/GPON. In parts of Anthem, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Peoria, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sun City, and Surprise, they are even offering gigabit speeds. However, CenturyLink is currently trialing G.Fast, which is the next evolution of the DSL family after VDSL2; CenturyLink intends to deploy it in areas where it is less feasible to deploy fiber (such as older neighborhoods and rural areas).
They still don't support ac on their latest router/modems?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They still don't support ac on their latest router/modems?
The C2100T supports 802.11ac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area