Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

16 posts, read 101,639 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I met with our landscaper who is contracted through our builder for the front yard. She drew up a backyard landscaping quote for us. This is what includes. 1200 sq ft sod and sprinklers drip system. 4 shade trees, curbing , rocks , and about 8-10 plants/shribs. The price is $5100 . Is this an average price? Do you think we can get it cheaper somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

17,912 posts, read 43,105,409 times
I'm not sure, but I think it would not hurt to ask around. Remodelers, landscaping contractors, etc., are really looking for work, and trying to outbid one another. This isn't the best time to put down sod, anyway. .. get some more bids!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM

78 posts, read 284,129 times
I am going through his myself, but as I shopped around in stores like home depot and through craigslist, I found the one through builder as extraordinarily expensive. Couple of them has given package deals to be around $2000/-.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,970,858 times
if you want to be really responsible, I'd go with desert landscape rather than grass.....I know grass is very pretty, but it's just not appropriate out here, despite the looks of things in some valley areas.....

a drip system is a good thing, but does require some extra regular maintenance periodically......

$5100 sounds high.....decide what you really need and want and get several bids for that.....

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM

Well right now we have a pool in our backyard and i hate it! i want grass so i can tell my kids go play outside in the backyard! I want them playing om grass and not rocks! I also wans nice shady trees so we can it outside on the grass under a tree and read a book or have a picnic! I used to do those things when i was a little girlL I thin kI will show my design to some other landscapers and see what they think./ Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM

710 posts, read 3,374,966 times
Sounds high. Here are a few specials I found:

A- DESERT SCAPE PACKAGE
2-15 Gallon Trees
12-5 Gallon Shrubs
Up to 15 Tons of Granite
Irrigation Drip System

Retail Price: $2,500.00
This Month's Special Only: $1,995.00

B-GRASS PACKAGE
2-15 Gallon Trees
10-5 Gallon Shrubs
100 Ft of Curbing
500 Sq.Ft of Sod
10 Tons of Granite
Sprinkler System
Drip System

Retail Price: $3,200.00
This Month's Special: $2,495.00

I won't post the contractor (no ads) but a little google-fu or craigslist searching will have you in the right spot.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM

162 posts, read 540,238 times
we are having our front/back yard completely re-done right now by a few, VERY hard working guys. No company, just people who know how to work and appreciate having a job.

-Project area = ~4500 sq ft
-Removed all old rock, dug out equally as much dirt, (was higher then sidewalks), removed all the plants/tree stubs, removed all old landscaping lights. Disposal was included.
-planted 14 bushes
-planted 10 trees, (6- 7gal pygmy date palms, 3- 3gal oleander, 1- 3gal orange)
-planted 3 cactus's
-reinstalled new dripper system to all above plants
-installed 12 ft of edging stone (separates rock from garden soil)
-reinstalled all landscaping lights
-placed two 700 lb boulders
-installed a new flagstone walkway from sidewalk to front padio

For all above work, labor cost = $2200.

Cost of plants, soil, edging stones, lights = roughly $1000 at home depot and lowes
Cost of 25 ton of 1" rock and 2 700 lb boulders delivered = $1100
Cost of 15' x 3' of flagstone for walkway = $85
Cost of ~150 ft dripper line with all necessary connections = $100

Total: $4485

Like I said, they don't use fancy equipment, they don't have any "blue prints" or fancy illustrations of what the completed project will look like, ect... They will be there with shovel in hand at 5:30am and will bend over backwards to make sure your satisfied.

They will be finishing this week, and so far, I have no complaints, especially about their work ethic and price. Will be posting before/after pics in the "back yard pictures" thread after the tile guy gets finished in about 10 days!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,556,828 times
I was looking around because we are installing a package as well. This is the cheapest I found from a licensed and insured business.

Complete package $1999 which includes taxes.
- New Sprinkler system installed includes auto timer & up to 3 new valves
- New Drip lines for trees & plants
- 600 square feet of new BOB sod or Tiffway (same grass used by AZ Diamondbacks )
- 4 (four) 5 gallon plants AND 6 (1) gallon plants of your choice ( 10 total )
- 6 ton of rock ( spreading included & you pick color & size )
- Up to 100' feet of Concrete Curbing w/ color you pick
- Solar Light package ( 3 solar spot lights installed )

If you want the name and number PM me. I'm sure they can adjust the price for the sod you need.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks guys! I would love to see pics too pf the backyard when you are finished! Its so hard to picture the final result from just dirt

Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 AM

3 posts, read 22,654 times
Default Sounds great

These guys sound great can you give me their info......thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
we are having our front/back yard completely re-done right now by a few, very hard working guys. No company, just people who know how to work and appreciate having a job.

-project area = ~4500 sq ft
-removed all old rock, dug out equally as much dirt, (was higher then sidewalks), removed all the plants/tree stubs, removed all old landscaping lights. Disposal was included.
-planted 14 bushes
-planted 10 trees, (6- 7gal pygmy date palms, 3- 3gal oleander, 1- 3gal orange)
-planted 3 cactus's
-reinstalled new dripper system to all above plants
-installed 12 ft of edging stone (separates rock from garden soil)
-reinstalled all landscaping lights
-placed two 700 lb boulders
-installed a new flagstone walkway from sidewalk to front padio

for all above work, labor cost = $2200.

Cost of plants, soil, edging stones, lights = roughly $1000 at home depot and lowes
cost of 25 ton of 1" rock and 2 700 lb boulders delivered = $1100
cost of 15' x 3' of flagstone for walkway = $85
cost of ~150 ft dripper line with all necessary connections = $100

total: $4485

like i said, they don't use fancy equipment, they don't have any "blue prints" or fancy illustrations of what the completed project will look like, ect... They will be there with shovel in hand at 5:30am and will bend over backwards to make sure your satisfied.

They will be finishing this week, and so far, i have no complaints, especially about their work ethic and price. Will be posting before/after pics in the "back yard pictures" thread after the tile guy gets finished in about 10 days!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area