Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,710,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
Sounds like a Maintenance Test Flight to me. How far from an airfield?
Sounds about right to me. if there are no sirens or flashing lights in the area, i doubt its a criminal. I only say that because there was a black military helicopter flying over my neighborhood and there wasn't any major military activity in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Nothing better then the ghetto bird flying over.
Why does everyone call it that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Sounds about right to me. if there are no sirens or flashing lights in the area, i doubt its a criminal. I only say that because there was a black military helicopter flying over my neighborhood and there wasn't any major military activity in the area.

Why does everyone call it that?
a ghetto bird is another name for a police helicopter in the ghetto. because of the high crime rates in slum areas helicopters constantly patrol from the skies. residents frequently hear them fly over their homes and are so used to the sound they names them ghetto birds as they are just like big birds constantly in the air.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Main Entry:1ghet·to Pronunciation: \ˈge-(ˌ)tō\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural ghettos also ghettoesEtymology:Italian, from Venetian dialect ghèto island where Jews were forced to live, literally, foundry (located on the island), from ghetàr to cast, from Latin jactare to throw — more at jetDate:1611 1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure3 a: an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I don't see the need for a test flight going around and around in a circle over an area FAR from any airfield. We didn't hear sirens with the one I experienced, either, but police were present. Military helicopters do fly over, I used to see them when Williams AFB was open. But they don't go fly in a tight circle around a residential area.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM

674 posts, read 2,555,978 times
I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,615,915 times
Tight circles around a residential area is a police unit. Most likely assisting ground officers.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't see the need for a test flight going around and around in a circle over an area FAR from any airfield. We didn't hear sirens with the one I experienced, either, but police were present. Military helicopters do fly over, I used to see them when Williams AFB was open. But they don't go fly in a tight circle around a residential area.
Tight circles with F-14's only once and tight circles with black helicopters only twice. No cops to be found any of those times. I should also add this was in central phoenix.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Did you notice any markings on the copter? Could have been anything from Med-evac, police helicopter, film/photo crew, staged training event, etc.

If was a real police event and the copter was hovering and circling that long you would have noticed a lot more police presence in the area.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Did you notice any markings on the copter? Could have been anything from Med-evac, police helicopter, film/photo crew, staged training event, etc.

If was a real police event and the copter was hovering and circling that long you would have noticed a lot more police presence in the area.
Well, he apparently didn't leave the immediate area of his house, so we don't know what the police presence was. And, it depends on the nature of the problem. It was probably a police helicopter (medevac wouldn't do that) doing some sort of activity, including perhaps training. Event over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area