Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM

339 posts, read 2,204,743 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm not trying to troll here, but I just want to know what people in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area generally do for fun (btw, Phoenix and Scottsdale are generally in the same area, right)? In cities like NYC and whatnot, people have a lot of "arts" and "culture" or they do a lot of shopping in the city, but there isn't much in the way of outdoor activities. I'm from Portland, and while I enjoy doing the outdoors thing (which we can only do for a grand total of 3 months here ), I hate how there's absolutely NOTHING to do in the city. It's impossible to find any good places to shop, not many concerts stop by, etc. I'd like to think that Phoenix, since it is a larger city, has a good amount of things to do downtown (maybe not NYC level, but I really don't care for the so called "arts" they have), but are there a lot of outdoor activities, or do people generally avoid them since it's so hot outside?

Oh, and about the heat, we just experienced a big heat wave in Oregon, where it got up to 107. Although I can stand a hot summer better than a freezing winter (rain is fine, but I'd HATE to have to shovel snow or wear 3 layers of clothes, and still catch a cold because people don't wash their hands), how hot does it typically get there, especially in July? Are the winters still quite hot, or does it get pretty cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi,

I'm not trying to troll here, but I just want to know what people in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area generally do for fun (btw, Phoenix and Scottsdale are generally in the same area, right)? In cities like NYC and whatnot, people have a lot of "arts" and "culture" or they do a lot of shopping in the city, but there isn't much in the way of outdoor activities. I'm from Portland, and while I enjoy doing the outdoors thing (which we can only do for a grand total of 3 months here ), I hate how there's absolutely NOTHING to do in the city. It's impossible to find any good places to shop, not many concerts stop by, etc. I'd like to think that Phoenix, since it is a larger city, has a good amount of things to do downtown (maybe not NYC level, but I really don't care for the so called "arts" they have), but are there a lot of outdoor activities, or do people generally avoid them since it's so hot outside?

Oh, and about the heat, we just experienced a big heat wave in Oregon, where it got up to 107. Although I can stand a hot summer better than a freezing winter (rain is fine, but I'd HATE to have to shovel snow or wear 3 layers of clothes, and still catch a cold because people don't wash their hands), how hot does it typically get there, especially in July? Are the winters still quite hot, or does it get pretty cool?
I'm surprised to hear you say that about Portland...there's that big plaza downtown with concerts and such. Granted, it's not Seattle, but it stil has things to do downtown, like shopping in the Pearl District...

Phoenix's downtown, though rapidly improving, isn't the center of shopping. That's places like Scottsdale Fashion Center, which is a nice place to spend an afternoon, especially when it's hot. The downtown of Phoenix is more the art / cultural / sports center, with several major theaters, the opera, and symphony, the Suns stadium, and the Cardinals stadium, all downtown.

Outdoor activities are plentiful in Phoenix but are more used in the winter - hiking Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mountain, wandering Papago Park, that kind of thing. The winter highs are in the 70's, lows in the 40's. Summer gets very, very hot - highs in the upper 100's, lows in the mid 80's - but that's when people do more of the indoor things like shopping and restaurants.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
The Cardinals stadium is not downtown but is actually located along the west Loop101 in Glendale. It is several miles from downtown.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:32 PM

35 posts, read 95,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Summer gets very, very hot - highs in the upper 100's, lows in the mid 80's - but that's when people do more of the indoor things like shopping and restaurants.
Not to nitpick but wouldn't upper 100's be like 180-199 degrees?

(Just busting your chops since it made me take a moment to really put the heat into perspective.)

Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyBound View Post
Not to nitpick but wouldn't upper 100's be like 180-199 degrees?
Well - it feels like that.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi,

Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix. They're not twin cities deserving equal mention like Minneapolis/St. Paul or Dallas/Ft. Worth. if you specifically mean Scottsdale, then by all means say "Scottsdale," but if you mean the overall metropolitan area, then "Phoenix" is the best name since it is by far the largest city in the metropolitan area.

I agree with the comments above that your characterization of Portland is unusual. Often, I hear Portlanders talk about how robust their Downtown is. If you find Downtown Portland sleepy, then unfortunately you'll be even more disappointed with Downtown Phoenix -- and I say that as a fan of Downtown Phoenix.

Downtown Phoenix is steadily improving. It has high-profile museums, sports, and performing arts. It also has some clusters of indie restaurants and bars. Unfortunately, though, there are still big gaps of vacant lots and deserted-after-dark areas in between those clusters. Also, there is very little retail Downtown right now.

You may find that some suburban clusters such as Mill Avenue in Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale augment the urban experience here. Taken together, Central Phoenix, Tempe, and Old Town Scottsdale add up to a decent urban lifestyle. Nevertheless, most people who are happy here, including me, like Phoenix because of the way it mixes indoor and outdoor attractions and not purely for its urban attributes.

As for those outdoor activities -- festivals, fairs, etc. generally take place from October until April. At this time of year, almost no one is foolish enough to schedule an outdoor event except maybe a nighttime concert. People who exercise outdoors often do so year round but move their activity to early morning to beat the heat during the summer. In the winter, I'll hike from 9 AM until late afternoon. At this time of year, I begin a hike at 6 AM and end it by 8 AM.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:06 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
I agree with Silverbear. I like downtown Seattle way more than Portland so I understand what you mean. However, downtown Phoenix lacks any department stores. There are boutiques but most of them are very expensive. There is Conspire, Bunky Boutique, and Spoken for example. I bought Some $$$$ ($150-400+) Cavalli Jeans and you can find more modest jeans and t-shirts at Bunky. Also if you go Uptown and into the Biltmore Fashion Park area there are tons more shopping options...Biltmore Park is another expensive area however. Think, Saks Fifth Ave, The Ritz Carlton, and Gucci.

Scottsdale offers so much shopping you'd never make it to all in a weeks vacation. If you include Tempe, Chandler, and Glendale you'll find all you need for your heart's content. Get used to the heat by slowly exposing yourself in the morning and night. When September rolls around you'll never be inside!!!

The Sun's stadium is the U.S. Airways Center (arena), and Chase Field (Diamondback's stadium and home field), UofP Stadium is at Westgate City Center in Glendale and home of the Cardinals and also at Westgate is Jobing.com Arena, home of the Phoenix Coyotes (NHL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area