Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,306,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegSC View Post
Observer 53, We will be moving from a city near Charlotte, NC and yes we did look at the house in Chandler many times its a beautiful house that is a short sale. The short sale process is going quicker than we expected. Once we close on the house we would like to put a renter in the house for about a year. I call the area south Chandler but I see it referred to as Ocotillo. I have seen a few posts saying to not buy south of 202 and its making me nervous. I didn't realize Basha was rated so high so that makes me feel alot better. We have family that lives in Gilbert and they informed us that this area of Chandler and Basha and both good choices.
No, Ocotillo is a master planned community about 6 miles or so Northwest of where your house is. It has the country club, waterfront, gated communities, etc.

I'm not sure who said to not look South of the 202, but I don't think that's accurate info. If anything, NORTH of the 202 around Arizona Avenue or McQueen Roads is the bad part of Chandler. South Chandler is where all of the new development and new schools are. In general, except for the areas of Chandler I listed above, the whole city is upper middle class and very similar. Just a matter of personal preference as far as commute times, etc. The area you chose is a little cheaper because it is about 5-6 miles South of the San Tan, not because of the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 PM

81 posts, read 347,357 times
Good points. But the real defininition of value will be your commute time to Sky Harbor--location and being central is everything. Stay north and west in Chandler. Check the real estate values over the the last few years. The East and South, like those great places with TW Lewis homes in the middle of nowhere Riggs Road...that will take time to build value. As was mentioned, stay close to Tempe, or around Intel. Why not even look at South Tempe? There is more value/sq ft in the desert of south Chandler, though. And educational quality decreases the further east and south you go, if that matters.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I owned a home in the same area, just West of Corona del Sol, for 5 years. I agree, it's one of my favorite areas as far as proximity to everything. If I ever win the powerball, I'll build a million dollar custom home on one of the few lots remaining in S. Tempe and move back there. I just happened across the deal for the house I am in now, and felt it was a no brainer. We also have car dealerships and movie theaters and nice restaurants now (with more on the way eventually). You probably aren't aware of it, but there's a lot of fine dining in the Ocotillo area as well. I can also tell you that I routinely make the drive from near Broadway/Rural in Tempe to Gilbert Road S/O the San Tan in 20 minutes. Not making it up, I actually look at the clock and know how to read the clock. But, I am less than 2 miles from the freeway, so that helps a lot.

BTW, my house is about 7 miles from Chandler Fashion Center, and Ocotillo is less than 3 miles away from the mall. These areas aren't nearly as isolated as you make them out to be. I am a little closer to the San Tan Village to the North East of me, so I have lots of options for entertainment out here, and if Main Street Commons gets built in the future, there will be more upscale shopping/dining within a 5-10 minute commute. The schools are just as good in both locations, demographics similar, there are many jobs nearby such as Intel, Orbital Sciences, etc.

I agree with your post for the most part, though, if you want closer proximity to downtown, Northwest Chandler is a better option. But if it's not THAT big of deal to drive 10 minutes further, and live in a newer home in return, then go for it.
You must be talking about Trovita. I hear ya...if I win the powerball, I'll do the same! I was checking out homes there and they are still asking for 2 million + for those large custom built homes. Those homes are nice but they are not worth 2 million. Some idiot bought a home there in the fall of 2008 for 2.4 million. So then the others tried to sell their homes for similar prices and there no takers for nearly a year so they just took their homes off the market. I think current or ex Arizona Cardinals players own those homes which is why they are not in a hurry to sell (The Cardinals practice facility is just north of there on Warner and Hardy)

We will agree to disagree about the distance aspect. I shop at the Target at Gilbert and 202 (it's my personal favorite one) and I also go to that Harkins there as well and it takes me at LEAST 20 minutes to get there from Ray and Kyrene so I have a hard time believing you can get there from much farther north at Broadway/Rural in the same time. And Kyrene connects directly to the 202.

I go to Ocotillo regularly. I'm very familiar with the area. I often eat at the Grimaldis there. I've played golf at the country club there. I know my friends in the Fulton Ranch area can't get to Chandler mall in 20 minutes. Like I said, it takes them 7-10 minutes just to get to the 202 going north on Arizona avenue. Yes, you are closer to San Tan Village and it's pretty nice but it's not really a part of Ocotillo and I don't really think you are that much closer because parts of Ocotillo are fairly south of the 202.

That being said, I agree that Ocotillo is a better community. Like I said, I think their schools are better. I think their houses are newer and better designed. I think you have better jobs in your area. Our area is more consumer driven with the exception of Intel. We have lots of shopping and restaurants but your area has more companies it seems. Donovan McNabb, Coach Whisenhunt and Matt Leinart live in Ocotillo. I've met all three there because friends live in their neighborhood on the lakes. I also think our area is kind of degrading. Sierra Tempe really took a hit and I used to consider it an upscale and nice neighborhood but it's fallen a little bit. Parts of South Tempe have taken a hit. Have you been to Elliot and Priest lately? A lot of the nice stores and some car dealerships closed down or pulled out like Cosco Home, JC Pennys Home Furnishings, Chiles etc. The north side of Elliot and Hardy is practically abandoned! That Wal-Mart used to be decent and it's gone down hill. Ultimately, I chose my area for it's location. I'm not so much concerned with value but I just like it for my personal life. I also like to go to certain parts of South Tempe and I enjoy eating at all the Asian restaurants at Warner and Dobson.

But like I said, Ocotillo comes with a price and that's distance. You can't really argue against that and that aspect will never change. I really looked into it and if I felt that distance wouldn't have been an issue, I would bought a house there. And like I said, if anything trendy or upscale goes up, it will go to Casa Paloma on I-10/Ray such as the new Sand Bar or the Chandler Mall area first before it goes to Ocotillo.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-14-2009 at 04:48 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
Good points. But the real defininition of value will be your commute time to Sky Harbor--location and being central is everything. Stay north and west in Chandler. Check the real estate values over the the last few years. The East and South, like those great places with TW Lewis homes in the middle of nowhere Riggs Road...that will take time to build value. As was mentioned, stay close to Tempe, or around Intel. Why not even look at South Tempe? There is more value/sq ft in the desert of south Chandler, though. And educational quality decreases the further east and south you go, if that matters.
Agreed! Another option is east Ahwautukee. There are great deals east of 32nd street and you are not too far into the foothills to appreciate Chandler. Seriously, Ray and I-10 on the east side(Best Buy, Ra sushi, Rock Bottom Brewery, AMC 24) is really just an extension of Chandler/South Tempe area. There are good deals in that area and many of those houses are close to Pecos(202) so that you have easy access to the freeways. I really like that area.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,306,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You must be talking about Trovita. I hear ya...if I win the powerball, I'll do the same! I was checking out homes there and they are still asking for 2 million + for those large custom built homes. Those homes are nice but they are not worth 2 million. Some idiot bought a home there in the fall of 2008 for 2.4 million. So then the others tried to sell their homes for similar prices and there no takers for nearly a year so they just took their homes off the market. I think current or ex Arizona Cardinals players own those homes which is why they are not in a hurry to sell (The Cardinals practice facility is just north of there on Warner and Hardy)

We will agree to disagree about the distance aspect. I shop at the Target at Gilbert and 202 (it's my personal favorite one) and I also go to that Harkins there as well and it takes me at LEAST 20 minutes to get there from Ray and Kyrene so I have a hard time believing you can get there from much farther north at Broadway/Rural in the same time. And Kyrene connects directly to the 202.

I go to Ocotillo regularly. I'm very familiar with the area. I often eat at the Grimaldis there. I've played golf at the country club there. I know my friends in the Fulton Ranch area can't get to Chandler mall in 20 minutes. Like I said, it takes them 7-10 minutes just to get to the 202 going north on Arizona avenue. Yes, you are closer to San Tan Village and it's pretty nice but it's not really a part of Ocotillo and I don't really think you are that much closer because parts of Ocotillo are fairly south of the 202.

That being said, I agree that Ocotillo is a better community. Like I said, I think their schools are better. I think their houses are newer and better designed. I think you have better jobs in your area. Our area is more consumer driven with the exception of Intel. We have lots of shopping and restaurants but your area has more companies it seems. Donovan McNabb, Coach Whisenhunt and Matt Leinart live in Ocotillo. I've met all three there because friends live in their neighborhood on the lakes. I also think our area is kind of degrading. Sierra Tempe really took a hit and I used to consider it an upscale and nice neighborhood but it's fallen a little bit. Parts of South Tempe have taken a hit. Have you been to Elliot and Priest lately? A lot of the nice stores and some car dealerships closed down or pulled out like Cosco Home, JC Pennys Home Furnishings, Chiles etc. The north side of Elliot and Hardy is practically abandoned! That Wal-Mart used to be decent and it's gone down hill. Ultimately, I chose my area for it's location. I'm not so much concerned with value but I just like it for my personal life. I also like to go to certain parts of South Tempe and I enjoy eating at all the Asian restaurants at Warner and Dobson.
first of all, tell your friend to take Ocotillo to Price Road, and Price Road North until it turns into the 101 North. I've tried both ways from that area, and I seem to be able to take that route much faster. Your friend will thank me.

As for going from where I live in South Chandler to Broadway/Rural in 20 minutes, remember it's only 16 miles, and most of it is freeway at 70-75 MPH. Sure, if I hit bad traffic, or hit every light, it may take an extra couple minutes. BYW, when I go, it's usually after 8:30, or before 3:00 PM, so it's not rush hour, but also not mid-day.

I knew about McNabb and Whisenhunt in Ocotillo, but I think McNabb is building a much bigger house in Southeast Gilbert (almost to Queen Creek) in one of the gated communites down Riggs Road. Leinart actually does not live in Ocotillo, he lives South of Fulton Ranch near the post office in a gated community by a lake. Close to Ocotillo, but a mile or so South. I live in the same neighborhood as Karlos Dansby and Lance Briggs (Bears). Neil Rackers and Andre Ethier (Dodgers) live within a couple blocks from me, but in a different neighborhood. Other notables in the area include Keith Poole, who owns a gym, and Travis LaBoy (former Cardinal). I'm sure there's many other players/former ASU players I haven't notice. BTW, Anquan Boldin lives just a mile East of Fulton Ranch in a neighborhood called Pinelake Estates, which is also waterfront property.

When I lived in Warner Ranch in Tempe, a mile from their offices, I never had so many Cardinals neighbors. I think Barron Tanner was one of the few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area