Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM

29 posts, read 110,628 times

Advertisements

I'm going to buy a pool and have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are thing that are a must have and all of the salesman sound the same. It seems like Shasta is the big name around I would like to know who can I trust to give me Quality, Price, and Service the kind of pool I would like is one I can swim in my friend has one that is 39x19 not sure if that is over kill or not it seems nice the pools in the model homes are just too small for me I would like as much info as possable. Also should the pool be heated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Check with the BBB in the Phoenix area and the registrar of contractors before you sign on the line with a pool company to build it for you. Do the research first to prevent a scam down the road. Never pay upfront for a pool no matter who is the builder. And yes you’ll want a heater. Also check to with the gas or electric company to get an estimate of what it will cost to heat a pool. You may rethink the heating idea.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
I can't see why a heater would be worth the price. At most, you would need it sporadically during the winter. When it's 70 and sunny outside I wouldn't think you would need it.

Now, if you could only find something to cool down the water in summer!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:51 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

That can be done with an aerator, which is included with most pools these days.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I can't see why a heater would be worth the price. At most, you would need it sporadically during the winter. When it's 70 and sunny outside I wouldn't think you would need it.

No way. I think it's way too cold. 70, warm and sunny, will still be darn cold in the water.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:24 PM

70 posts, read 287,714 times
I agree totally with checking out rep. of pool contractors and not paying up front. I also think you should pay close attention to each step as they build. I caught a mistake at the rebar stage, they had dug a 5 foot pool when we were supposed to have an 8 foot pool. We also had a slide put in and they had the concrete boys install it, I was never happy with the angle of it. It shot out to a narrow section of pool instead of the wide section I had designed. This was a very highly reputable pool builder in our area. Mistakes happen, pay attention. As far as the heater, we had one because we also had a spa attached to the pool. I loved it, we could jump the pool temp up in the early season, and late season for Memorial Day and Lobor Day weekend company. I also gave it a few degrees for myself when I knew I was going to spend the day in it, or if we were doing evening gatherings after the sun went down. Kids don't care much if the water is colder but I am a whimp and prefer it warmer. I also prefer a bigger pool to a small one. We are all big swimmers and the kids play water polo. I also knew that teenagers tend to do alot of diving in and jumping so depth was a big safety issue for me. 70 outside is way to cold for me too! I like the pool at 80 degrees plus.

Last edited by relocated46; 03-03-2007 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: left something out.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:31 PM

I also found that to turn the heater on for a couple of hours in the morning did not cost very much and with a gas heater it was pretty fast acting. Now I'm not talking about trying to bring it up 20 degrees just 5 or 10 degrees at the most.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM

29 posts, read 110,628 times
I am building a new home how do you not pay up front it is going into my mortage. Also is there anything that is a must when it comes to having a pool? That will be my acid test when I talk to pool builders.

Thanks for the input

Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
We have a Shasta pool and have been extremely happy with it. But you'll likely hear good and bad stories about all companies. Interview a few, get ratings from BBB, etc. and go from there.

As for what to get with your pool, I can't say enough good things about salt water. We LOOOOOOOVE our salt water pool and it's ruined us for all chlorine pools. The water is a million times more gentle on your skin then chlorine. And it's a lot easier to maintain.

If you get a heater, make sure it's a good one. The more powerful it is, the less time it takes to heat = less money. Some people just get solar covers for their pool. I understand they can add a month to each end of the swimming season.

Remember to factor in security fencing, or at least a security net, please....some don't want them if they don't have young kids. But just yesterday a little boy escaped out of his house, got into the neighbor's yard and drowned in their pool which didn't have a fence. Too many kids drown in pools here every year, and it's not always their home that it happens in, and security fences help so much to prevent such tragedies.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM

I am not sure but I would imagine you can talk to your lender about not paying off the pool until completed. I don't know for sure, but I don't think they pay it up front either. They do this all the time so just ask. You can also ask your realtor or neighbors who built their pools and get their opinions. When we chose our pool contractor alot of people had used them and they were recomended by builders. Also, see how long they have been in business, and ask for references. A decent pool builder will have testimonials and warranties. As far as must haves, that varies according to your needs. A good pool sweep is one thing and think ahead. Even if your children are small now, they grow up fast! So think not only about what your needs are today but what they will be in the not so far away future. Some people like beach entrances. I for one did not care for the amount of space they used up. I also in hind site might have considered a hand rail at the steps for my Dads support getting in and out. Also think about pool edges, different rock edging looks great but can be very sharp. Agrigate pool decks get VERY hot, so consider that with little feet. Depending on your climate be sure and remember darker bottoms can add 10 degrees to your pool water. That sounds great unless you live in a very hot climate. When it's 100 degrees for several weeks pools get very warm and that extra temp. can make your pool much to warm and increase the amount of chemicals it takes to fight off algae etc... Just my opinion. Try and look at as many pools as you can also. It will give you ideas you may not have thought of.

Last edited by relocated46; 03-03-2007 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: add on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area