Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL. Funny you should put it that way. There was a time many years back when I arrived late to a class I was scheduled for. The room had self-divided into groups that were to be the study teams for the class. All the groups were full except for the "black" one and I had to join that - with some discomfort admittedly. It turned out to be a stroke of luck or something. I hit it off with that group very well and ended up marrying one of them! We're still together.
What a great story!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
No one cares and I think in Phoenix because of our unique situation as a new, modern city the old obstacles from other regions regarding races are minimal here. I too see so many mixed couples, white/black, hispanic/white, hispanic/black, asian/black, whatever but don't really think about it until someone from somewhere else comments on it. I'm hispanic but with someone white as is the case with 50% of my family members in my generation or younger. Even some of our older family members are with a person of another race. It isn't taboo in Phoenix especially when compared to other parts of the country...especially the south!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
nope, I was never uncomfortable being with the mother of my children, and the first person I fell in love with.
I'm never uncomfortable in my skin as it has made me the person whom I am today and my confidence and high self esteem supersedes all of that.
As I said before I cannot explain to you the feeling within me being the "only" black person in many scenarios. Like Ponderosa "Admitted" there is definately a FEELING, I'm not saying it's always a negative one, but just being more aware. If you are indeed cacuasion I would love for you if only for one day be the only white among a sea of blacks, in every situation you encounter, and report back to me that there was absotely no indifference, and tell me you where not made aware of your skin color, then times that by 365, then multiply that again by 3 years, then you will begin to have window into my world and my experience living in phoenix. Only then IMHO might you be able to have the kind of "empathy" that brings understanding of what someone else experiences.
Now obviously this is MY choice to remain here in Phoenix, and honestly I do like living here, I was just merely stating my experience for the nay-sayers who seem to pop in every race related topic to tell us race shouldn't matter when IMO it clearly does for some people

**edited** to add the last paragrah
I agree on the being somewhat uncomfortable in the opposite race gathering thing. I've certainly been there on most holidays, birthday parties, weddings etc. None of my family live here so it's all the black side for me. But they are all good to me, no problems with that at all. Just not a lot in common though much of that is age difference. Once a year or so, she gets the treatment with my side when we head east. She gets on better with my family than I do. And my wife is a Phoenix near-native having lived here since childhood. Phoenix has its racial awareness, of course, but it is not ingrained and part of the air we breathe here like it is in so many US cities.

Anyway, back to the question. I don't know that there are more interracial families than black families, though it seems that way in my neighborhood. I always figured it was because of the Air Force base nearby. The military puts people of different races in close proximity and that is often all that is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area