Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Repeat offenders are one of the largest problems plaguing the Sheriff. His buddy, Andrew Thomas the county attorney (although of late backing away from Joe), has set up a ROB Bureau to tackle the high incidents of reoffenders out of the sheriff's jails.
Crime Free AZ - Andrew Thomas, Maricopa County Attorney's Office (http://www.crimefreeaz.com/prosecution/ - broken link)

Will post more reoffender info as I find it.
The thing I see a lot is that he paid for an ASU study which found that his jail had no impact on the recidivism rate. He then debunked the study. Figures.

I'd like to see some more recent data, although I'm not sure it would affect my opinion one way or another. He's already wasted millions of taxpayer dollars by blowing budgets and paying out judgments - is it too much to ask for a sheriff that fights crime WITHOUT extreme disqualifying factors? I don't understand how he can be defended at all.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
The thing I see a lot is that he paid for an ASU study which found that his jail had no impact on the recidivism rate. He then debunked the study. Figures.

I'd like to see some more recent data, although I'm not sure it would affect my opinion one way or another. He's already wasted millions of taxpayer dollars by blowing budgets and paying out judgments - is it too much to ask for a sheriff that fights crime WITHOUT extreme disqualifying factors? I don't understand how he can be defended at all.
The ASU study is one I am looking for. There is also the FBI statistical crime data that I'm scouring through that was released in '08 showing a recidivism rate higher than the state prison's rate, etc...Of course he would "debunk" each study saying "they" are out to get him. Everyone from the ACLU, ASU, FBI, to the Goldwater Institute (a republican and often "right-wing" described entity).

Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Funny you also say that...I don't care what their underwear looks like, or what they eat, or if they sleep in tents in the desert (had to do it in the middle east myself) but that isn't the crux of the problem. Also, the re-incarceration rates and reoffenders are a problem that the sheriff has. His jails and techniques aren't working unfortunately."

How is it not working? (Just asking for a little data....)
This is not proof, but trust me it is true. This is a post I made around 3 months ago.....

"I love the animal shelter idea too. Makes me kind of want to go to his jail (just kidding!!) as I love to help animals. Regardless, his jails do not deter crime in any way. I know, because I spent one day in Tent City for a DUI back in 2000 when it was 118 degrees outside. It was pure hell, but I still kept drinking and driving afterwords. It is my understanding that most criminals commit a crime when they are impaired, by either legal or illegal drugs. Since they are not in a clear state of mind, they do not think about the consequences. At least, that is how it has been with me. I can tell you that I ended up getting another (my 2nd, and last) DUI here in Vegas back in 2006. The jails here are a country club compared to tent city. They have air conditioning, better food, and television. But, there is no more crime here than Phoenix so I hope you see my point. Just so no one criticizes me, I have since learned, and I will never, ever drink and drive again. Sometimes it takes getting older and wiser to realize what I could have done to someone else because of my stupidity and selfishness. Here in Vegas, they make you go to a mandatory victim impact panel when you get a DUI. I cried so hard listening to their stories, and that is what made me change my ways."

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It is funny you use L.A. as an example of a Sanctuary City and un-American given that L.A. has one of the LOWEST crime rates for any city, big OR small. They and NYC have a per person crime rate that is lowest among the low of metropolitan areas, cities, and at the bottom of the list for any city over 100,000 people. How is that deteriorating or un-American?

The raid this morning wasn't "due to ID theft" but to suspected id theft and suspicions from reports submitted to the Sheriff's Office. Probably some hate group seeing a lot of hispanics going to work and thus, called the Sheriff "hotline" to turn in their fellow citizens and legal immigrants. As a hispanic with a spanish name whose been the victim of ID theft, I still say take care of the drugs, coyotes, human smugglers, and insure that stays out of Maricopa County and away from the city.

Besides, I doubt any of those "illegal" id users from Mexico or a hispanic country were using "John Smith's" ID, LOL! This is where we aid law enforcement and check our credit every year, since it is now free, and ensure our credit and SS#'s have not been compromised. You can also put a "stop" on your credit and a watch on your DL number for free and you will be notified before any transaction with your name and ID numbers are used. After my debacle I ensured this was in place.
Rather idealistic, fcorrales.

In spite of your claims and/or statistics, Los Angeles is far from being a safe place to live. Statistics are only as valid as the research.

Furthermore, anyone with such a cavalier attitude towards ID Theft is proof positive they have never been a victim. Once a victim of ID Theft their tune always changes immediately. It is a horrific crime which takes months, sometimes years to correct.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Rather idealistic, fcorrales.

In spite of your claims and/or statistics, Los Angeles is far from being a safe place to live. Statistics are only as valid as the research.

Furthermore, anyone with such a cavalier attitude towards ID Theft is proof positive they have never been a victim. Once a victim of ID Theft their tune always changes immediately. It is a horrific crime which takes months, sometimes years to correct.
You sound JUST like Joe, LOL! Figures. Data isn't real, its just some numbers that FBI and Police release...seriously LOL! That is the most ridiculous and non-sensical statement I've read on this thread so far.

Furthermore, a credit card, apartment, and cell-phone were obtained illegally with my name and social security number. I caught the activity on my credit report, made a police report, submitted information to the credit card, phone, and apartment company, an investigation ensued, USAA my insurance carrier has identity theft protection in which they handled the financial situation and helped legally removed the fraudulent accounts from my credit history. Furthermore, I sent letters to the bureaus that require written and notarized authorizations for my credit to be used, review, and utilized. Everyone has the right to a free report and to restrict their credit and credit history...

Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Would somebody check the amount of lawsuits lost by Maricopa due to illegal arrest, deporting US citizens out of country, failure to provide medical assistance, murder while in custody, etc. that were paid because of Sherriff Joes activities? It was in the millions last I heard~ which really puts a damper on the county budget.

Plus the millions spent trying to defend against those claims.

Sherriff Joe is spending far more for you than he is delegated.

PS , nothing in this post about illegals either.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM

114 posts, read 425,235 times
Arrested 44 out of 102 "targeted".
Is that a potential 58 lawsuits for racial profiling?

While a car load of illegals/drugs made it to the streets of Phoenix, he's out arresting people w/ a job, who are obviously working for a living.
IMHO, these drug/human traffickers, escaped child molesters, DUI offenders, etc are more dangerous to my family than people who have a job to support their family. If he happens to come accross them fine, but to only focus on them is not right. Not because I'm pro illegals, but because he's supposed to protect our community from all criminals, not just from illegals.
Leave the illegal immigration exclusivity to ICE, and do your job all the way around!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Phoenix metro has significantly less crime than Tucson (logic would say it should be the other way around). Sheriff Joe must be doing something right.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Phoenix metro has significantly less crime than Tucson (logic would say it should be the other way around). Sheriff Joe must be doing something right.
The sheriff has no role in crime fighting in the incorporated areas of the county. Unlike Pima, most of Maricopa population lives in incorporated areas and is covered by city police forces. Joe patrols Sun City and a couple of contract areas along with vast stretches of empty nothingness. Arpaio is a JAILER, a hotelier of sorts. His primary duty is to run jails and get prisoners moved to and from the courts. His illegal hunting is a sidebar. Stop giving this buffoon credit for reducing crime here. The credit goes to the hard work of the city police forces and, even more so, to the recession which sent 1/3 of the illegals in Arizona back to Mexico or on to Texas.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
"Stop giving this buffoon credit"

I still wish there were more in law inforcement like him. He's tough and hard-nosed, and that's exactly what is needed. Across the U.S., there are way too many "soft" politically-correct types in law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area