Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM

26 posts, read 139,184 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, after reading through a few threads on here I'm happy I found this site, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm 17 years old and I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. The city has its good things and its bad things about it but I just dont see myself living here in the future, it's not my type of city. Ever since I was in primary school I always dreamed of living in the USA, and that dream hasn't changed. I love New Zealand because its beautiful, easy to get around and the people are friendly. It is also very safe. What I don't like is it's a tourist country, if you are born here you know no better but after researching I know this is an expensive place to live. I don't know anyone who owns a house, thats how crazy the prices get. I loved going to Auckland a year ago because I felt like I was in New York City, it felt huge to me, I love the big city feel and the huge buildings. I hate the weather here. We are coming off the best Summer in my memory, but that was a one off. Everyday the skies are grey, it rains, and you always have to wear extra clothing because its so cold. This summer we had a few months of constant 25+ degree days (77F) and I loved it. My friends and family hated it, but I thought it was great.

I started researching almost 6 months ago on places I would like to live in America. I quickly cut out places like Chicago and NYC after I realized how expensive they are. Phoenix seemed like the best place for me. I love the heat, its a big city (maybe not you guys living in the US but to me it is), it seems very art orientated (I am starting my Graphic Design course soon) and the living costs seem relatively cheap compared to other. I'm a huge NBA fan, and you guys have the most exciting team the league has to offer in the Suns. Also, I read alot about the bad air but that shouldn't be a problem considering Christchurch is very well known for having terrible air.

Basically my plan was to leave school, begin a graphic design course which is only available in another city (so I'll be on my own), work here for a while and then when I feel ready and have the money to do so move over there.

I know this may seemed far fetched to you but I have really done alot of research and my mum is completely happy with my decision and can back me financially somewhat because she recently sold her classic car for quite alot.

I'm not going to ask "Would I like Phoenix" because I know you can't really choose wether or not someone would like a city that they plan on moving to and leaving everything they had behind based on a post on a forum. What I'm asking is for anyone willing that lives in Phoenix or has been there to just say everything they love about Phoenix, what they hate, and just things in general I may need to know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,979,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
Hi everyone, after reading through a few threads on here I'm happy I found this site, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm 17 years old and I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. The city has its good things and its bad things about it but I just dont see myself living here in the future, it's not my type of city. Ever since I was in primary school I always dreamed of living in the USA, and that dream hasn't changed. I love New Zealand because its beautiful, easy to get around and the people are friendly. It is also very safe. What I don't like is it's a tourist country, if you are born here you know no better but after researching I know this is an expensive place to live. I don't know anyone who owns a house, thats how crazy the prices get. I loved going to Auckland a year ago because I felt like I was in New York City, it felt huge to me, I love the big city feel and the huge buildings. I hate the weather here. We are coming off the best Summer in my memory, but that was a one off. Everyday the skies are grey, it rains, and you always have to wear extra clothing because its so cold. This summer we had a few months of constant 25+ degree days (77F) and I loved it. My friends and family hated it, but I thought it was great.

I started researching almost 6 months ago on places I would like to live in America. I quickly cut out places like Chicago and NYC after I realized how expensive they are. Phoenix seemed like the best place for me. I love the heat, its a big city (maybe not you guys living in the US but to me it is), it seems very art orientated (I am starting my Graphic Design course soon) and the living costs seem relatively cheap compared to other. I'm a huge NBA fan, and you guys have the most exciting team the league has to offer in the Suns. Also, I read alot about the bad air but that shouldn't be a problem considering Christchurch is very well known for having terrible air.

Basically my plan was to leave school, begin a graphic design course which is only available in another city (so I'll be on my own), work here for a while and then when I feel ready and have the money to do so move over there.

I know this may seemed far fetched to you but I have really done alot of research and my mum is completely happy with my decision and can back me financially somewhat because she recently sold her classic car for quite alot.

I'm not going to ask "Would I like Phoenix" because I know you can't really choose wether or not someone would like a city that they plan on moving to and leaving everything they had behind based on a post on a forum. What I'm asking is for anyone willing that lives in Phoenix or has been there to just say everything they love about Phoenix, what they hate, and just things in general I may need to know.

Thanks.

I LIKE the sunny days year round the heat in the Summer got a bit much as I got older but nothing an air conditioner and or a pool can't solve.

I love Palm Trees

I like that Phoenix is close to California and Las Vegas.

I like not having to freeze in the Winter or shovel snow.

I love the low personal state income tax

I like the low property taxes.

I DON"T LIKE
The state being over-run by illegals

The low wages not keeping up with housing cost.

I don't like that Phoenix has no downtown.

I don't like the horrible traffic.

The medical treatment leaves much to be desired.

I don't like the Arizona Republic newspaper

I don't lke scorpions and desert creatures. (never see any but don't like the thought that I might)

I don't like the dust storms and monsoons.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,354,546 times
Phoenix is your basic western US metropolitan area. It covers a huge geographical area, thousands of square miles, and is very low density, vertically. Think of it not so much as one location on a map, but more as a whole giant section of the Arizona desert that has been urbanized. The land is generally flat, with little buttes, rocks, and mountains here and there. Amidst the sea of houses, malls, shopping centers, and warehouse buildings there are several urban centers-- including downtown Phoenix, Old Town Scottsdale, and downtown Tempe/ Mill Ave. 95% of the city was built in the 1950s and later, and almost 50% of everything built has been constructed in the last 15 years. While it is possible to get around without a car, don't move here unless you plan on driving.

There is a lot of art in Arizona-- especially the art galleries in Scottsdale and in Sedona, a touristy but beautiful area about two hours north. A lot of it though is your stereotypical coyotes/ desert sunsets type painting-- not really the cutting edge of modern art. Arizona is very touristy too-- there are many resorts throughout Phoenix and the rest of the state. And thousands of old people come here only as seasonal visitors, living in trailor parks for half the year before they head home to Minnesota once the mercury starts cranking up. They're known as snowbirds. (Technically, I'm a pseudo-snowbird too-- the college student version ).

Move to Phoenix if you love the desert climate (I'm assuming the outback of Australia is the closest comparison in your part of the world? ), value your sense of personal space and want the spread out, low density urban form, and want your basic "Middle America" culture, with a lot of Mexican influence on top of that. Don't move here if you can't take the heat, if you want a 24/7 dense urban city, or if you are looking for sophisticated "high culture."

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the great replies.

Quote:
Move to Phoenix if you love the desert climate (I'm assuming the outback of Australia is the closest comparison in your part of the world? ), value your sense of personal space and want the spread out, low density urban form, and want your basic "Middle America" culture, with a lot of Mexican influence on top of that. Don't move here if you can't take the heat, if you want a 24/7 dense urban city, or if you are looking for sophisticated "high culture."
Sounds good to me, and yes the Australian outback is probably the closest thing to it. Unfortunately, I have never been there.

Quote:
I LIKE the sunny days year round the heat in the Summer got a bit much as I got older but nothing an air conditioner and or a pool can't solve.
If its anything like this summer gone by, I think I would love it.

Quote:
I love Palm Trees
Yes! When I see those things dotted all the way down Pheonix streets it makes me wanna live there even more.

Quote:
I like that Phoenix is close to California and Las Vegas.
Two places I would love to visit

Quote:
I like not having to freeze in the Winter
I know how that feels... in fact I feel like that right now.

Quote:
The state being over-run by illegals
I don't think I will mind it, sometimes when I walk through town I feel like I'm in Hong Kong.

Quote:
The low wages not keeping up with housing cost.
When the average house here is 250k and upwards and people struggle to earn 25k a year, I think I shouldn't have much of a problem adjusting to that.

Quote:
I don't like that Phoenix has no downtown.
If it looks better than this:

... I will love it.

Quote:
I don't like the horrible traffic.

The medical treatment leaves much to be desired.
Two things that worry me here. In NZ our medical system is very good, but I think overall the good outways the bad when comparing where I live now to Phoenix.

Thanks again, if anyone else wants to give their opinions I would really appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 PM

The picture of your town looks charming.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,411,962 times
Flite-

First, about the summer. You say you like the heat but then you say that your summer in New Zealand was 77F and, apparently, that was hot. Please keep in mind that it is MUCH hotter than that in Phoenix. A normal summer in Phoenix will have several days hotter than 115F+. Basically every single day during the summer you are going to see temps at least near 110F. I think Phoenix is second only to Baghdad as the hottest major city in the world. Weather that is 77F is something you see in late fall to early spring in Phoenix.

Now, the city itself I think is something you will find very different. I know that Auckland has a reputation of being very auto-orientated, but Phoenix takes this to a whole new level. People do not really walk here. Downtown is very small and is dead after people leave work. Unless there is a sports event downtown, it is pretty barren down there. Also, Phoenix is a big city, but it doesn't have the feeling of a big city. It is so spread out it just doesn't feel like a "real city" at all. A lot of people who move here like it that way.

Just look at the downtown compared to Auckland. And remember Phoenix has a larger population.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Phoenixsunset.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Auk_city_night.jpg (broken link)

Look...I am not trying to discourage from coming to visit. You may like it here. It is close to some interesting outdoor activities and you're within easy drive to the western US. It's just Phoenix is really a true American, isolationist, individualist-style place that I know many people from other countries may not find to their liking. Just check it out, that is all...Good luck.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,411,962 times
All I know is that I want to move to Wellington!

Look at the place!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Wellington-FromTopOfMountVictoria.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM

I know what you mean, but I don't live in Auckland. Auckland seems like a huge city to me and I like that. The thing is the average house in Auckland is probably close to 400K while their salaries are not much higher than Christchurch at all.

I have to be realistic. I want to live in America in a large city, Phoenix is that. Phoenix is also relatively cheap (living costs) compared to other cities of its size. Those 77F days I mentioned were very comfortable for me, but while it would definately take time for me to adjust to the desert heat, I am pretty sure I could handle it. About Phoenix being spread out, Auckland is very similar. It covers alot of ground and the "city" part is a very small area, so it seems similar to how you describe Phoenix.

Basically what I want is to live in America, in a big city. If Phoenix is anything like Auckland, thats definately big enough for me. Why wouldn't I live in Auckland though? It's very expensive to live there and the weather is down right nasty. Phoenix to me has the same problems (traffic, air, spread out over a large area), but is cheaper, better weather, pro sports teams, more art orientated, etc. The "downtown" part of Auckland is also very dead at night. Even Wellington has a better nightlife. To me, its basically an improved Auckland in a country that I have wanted to live in my whole life.

Thanks for reply.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
All I know is that I want to move to Wellington!

Look at the place!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Wellington-FromTopOfMountVictoria.jpg (broken link)

Where's that? gorgeous.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
I know what you mean, but I don't live in Auckland. Auckland seems like a huge city to me and I like that. The thing is the average house in Auckland is probably close to 400K while their salaries are not much higher than Christchurch at all.

I have to be realistic. I want to live in America in a large city, Phoenix is that. Phoenix is also relatively cheap (living costs) compared to other cities of its size. Those 77F days I mentioned were very comfortable for me, but while it would definately take time for me to adjust to the desert heat, I am pretty sure I could handle it. About Phoenix being spread out, Auckland is very similar. It covers alot of ground and the "city" part is a very small area, so it seems similar to how you describe Phoenix.

Basically what I want is to live in America, in a big city. If Phoenix is anything like Auckland, thats definately big enough for me. Why wouldn't I live in Auckland though? It's very expensive to live there and the weather is down right nasty. Phoenix to me has the same problems (traffic, air, spread out over a large area), but is cheaper, better weather, pro sports teams, more art orientated, etc. The "downtown" part of Auckland is also very dead at night. Even Wellington has a better nightlife. To me, its basically an improved Auckland in a country that I have wanted to live in my whole life.

Thanks for reply.

When are you planning on moving? Keep us posted and let us know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area