Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 50,267 times

Advertisements

Moving to phoenix area in july with a 13 and 10 year old. We are interested in the Gilbert area. My question is I have heard that a lot of the Gilbert area is composed of mormons which I don't have a problem with but if my kids aren't mormon will they fit in in the Gilbert schools? I'm thinking particulary the high schools. When I searched the Gilbert School District on Greatschools.net, many of the parent reviews mentioned some of their kids feeling weird because there were so many mormons at the high school and they were not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM

50 posts, read 223,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer12 View Post
Moving to phoenix area in july with a 13 and 10 year old. We are interested in the Gilbert area. My question is I have heard that a lot of the Gilbert area is composed of mormons which I don't have a problem with but if my kids aren't mormon will they fit in in the Gilbert schools? I'm thinking particulary the high schools. When I searched the Gilbert School District on Greatschools.net, many of the parent reviews mentioned some of their kids feeling weird because there were so many mormons at the high school and they were not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Soccer12,
I live in Gilbert. I'm a non-Mormon with children. We have never had a problem once. I don't think you need to worry at all! Although it's true that Gilbert has a higher concentration of Mormon people than other areas, there are people of all religious faiths in the area.

(Sidenote: The Mormon people I have come across here have been nothing but friendly, considerate people. They care about family and community and make wonderful neighbors.)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
My children and I never had any problems with the Mormons and for a number of years we lived just around the corner from one of their bigger "Stakes." Once in a while there might be some grumblings in the schools when students are told they can't wear a cross, Star of David, Pentacle or any other symbols of their beliefs, but the Mormon kids are allowed to have posters of Jesus and Joseph Smith in their lockers. Other than that I don't recall my children feeling "weird" or in any other way uncomfortable by the Mormon students. One of my daughter's best friends was a lovely young man from a Mormon family, until he committed suicide with a gun at the age of 15. This is where you might find yourself a bit embroiled in the dynamics of the Mormon family, if your own children become friends with one. This young man rebelled against his family's religious teachings by growing his hair to shoulder length. The pressure to conform became too much and he killed himself after his mother had forced him into a Mormon run "mental facility" on two ocassions.

On the other hand, the best employer I ever had was a Mormon. A former long-time boyfriend was a convert to Mormonism, and then left. He was mentally unstable, but his father and step-mother were both Mormons and they were lovely, kind people who never pushed their religion on to me.

Mormons are like anyone else, some are good, some are bad and some fall somewhere in the middle. But they are not the threat that many would have you believe.

Last edited by Cyanna; 05-07-2007 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElaine View Post
Hi Soccer12,
I live in Gilbert. I'm a non-Mormon with children. We have never had a problem once. I don't think you need to worry at all! Although it's true that Gilbert has a higher concentration of Mormon people than other areas, there are people of all religious faiths in the area.

(Sidenote: The Mormon people I have come across here have been nothing but friendly, considerate people. They care about family and community and make wonderful neighbors.)
Thank you, that makes me feel so much better!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM

This is good to know. I appreciate your opinions. Hope to be in Gilbert soon!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Yes, I totally agree with SElaine, the Mormons do find family and family values to be very important. Mormon kids are like any other kids and will act out once in a while, but not to the extreme extent of non-Mormon kids.

Regarding the young man who committed suicide, bear in mind that the tactics used by his parents to "keep him under control" is not the norm and is rather extreme. I was merely providing you with a few examples to show that Mormon families have problems like anyone else

It is rare that you will come across Mormon children who behave rudely or disrespectfully because their parents do instill certain values in them that frankly many of us would do well to learn from.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer12 View Post

Yes lots of Mormons in Gilbert and I remember when I moved there from Glendale, everyone warned me they would shun my kids. They said my son wouldn't make the basketball team blah blah blah. Well my son did make the team and my other son best friends are Mormon. Sure they try to convert you but you have to get passed that and tell them you have your own faith and start preaching back to them, that usually cures it. I have read those reviews about Highland HS on greatschools and I guess some people felt that way but we personally didn't have any problems. They actually make good neighbors even with their door knocking on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area