Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 17,179 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on moving to AZ in the next year or so (I lived there for semester about 2 years ago, so I know the Tempe area a bit) and am currently browsing through apartments so I have a general idea of what to expect/places to check out next summer.

Ideally what I'm looking for is something close to shopping and a few restaurants within walking distance, 1 BR or maybe a studio, for about $800/mo give or take a few hundred. I'm going to be 22 when I get out there, but would really like to avoid the whole college kid/bar scene.
Right now I think I like the Scottsdale area, and would really love to be near Scottsdale Fashion Square or similar shopping centers.

So far my list includes Trillium Papago, Alta Phoenix Lofts, Ninety Degrees, and Grigio (even though Ive heard horror stories about it) and I just looked at Optima Camelview...but that seems a bit out of my price range =P Any thoughts on these places or new suggestions?

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,469 times
90 degrees is nice if you mean the one up off Mayo. It is new-I think it just opened last year or very early this year. I actually live right next door at Desert Club. There is another complex right behind 90 Degrees that is also new called Barossa at Paradise Ridge. Also if you are interested in this part of town, try Shade at Desert Ridge. Also suggest any of the apartments at Kierland-Legend, Tradition or Paragon. CityNorth (right next to Desert Ridge) also does rentals-another variation on the "loft over retail"-not sure what rental rates are there tho. At any of these, you may definitely be looking north of $800, but you can often get "incentives" that bring the rent down considerably.

I love where I live. Right across from Mayo/101 plaza-ie movie theater, stores, restaurants, Whole Foods. Kierland is just down Scottsdale Rd. And I also like Desert Ridge-just a few miles west. The name of the game in this part of town IS restaurants and shopping and resorts and golf courses. I could give up my car and walk to a different restaurant every night for dinner (provided it isnt 115' lol!)---->and not go to the same place twice for probably....years. No "bar scene" up here. Basically very nice restaurants with cool bars if you want liquid refreshment.

This puts you only about 10 miles north of Fashion Square.

There was recently another poster looking at some apartments that were supposed to be pretty nice on Camelback just east of Fashion Square. But I don't remember the name.

Optima Camelview are gorgeous, but those are condos. I know they sell for a decent chunk of change, so I could imagine any that are being rented aren't cheap either.

Also, make sure you factor in where you will be working. You could end up with one monster commute by choosing where you live before you find where you will be working.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 AM

81 posts, read 346,368 times
I have a friend who lives in a very nice gated apartment complex on Thomas and 44th. Great location for downtown scottsdale (bars, restaurants, fashion square, eye candy galore), and much closer to the airport and central PHX than north scottsdale. She has a 3 Bedroom, cool layout with a nice balcony that costs $1100 per month. Nice facilities and pool.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 17,179 times
Thanks for all your help guys! Good to know that it is indeed a good part of town. CityNorth looks absolutely amazing, but a bit out of my price range haha

Shade and Barossa look really nice and reasonably priced, I'll definitely add them to my list ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area