U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 6,089,147 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of family coming for Xmas and our cars won't hold them all. My dad wants to rent a minivan. Is there a cheaper place than Sky Harbor for this? I think some cities have a special tax for rentals picked up at the airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM

37,041 posts, read 47,274,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I have a lot of family coming for Xmas and our cars won't hold them all. My dad wants to rent a minivan. Is there a cheaper place than Sky Harbor for this? I think some cities have a special tax for rentals picked up at the airport.
We always rent Alamo from the Glendale location. It is much cheaper, because all the airport fees are not in there. They have rental locations around the valley.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,110,649 times
Yes listen to Ponderosa, it is always cheaper to rent away from the airport. I used to rent from Budget in Avondale/Goodyear on Van Buren

Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,919,846 times
The Airport will have extra fees associated with renting from there, so I would suggest finding a location close to where you live. Many car rental companies have offices all over the valley.

FYI you can sometimes get an SUV for cheaper than a minivan, at least that was my experience, I got a huge Suburban last time I rented, it was $400 cheaper than the minivan for the whole trip, we needed it for a snowboarding trip in Colorado.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 PM

4,556 posts, read 8,637,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We always rent Alamo from the Glendale location. It is much cheaper, because all the airport fees are not in there. They have rental locations around the valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Yes listen to Ponderosa, it is always cheaper to rent away from the airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The Airport will have extra fees associated with renting from there.
What are we talking about here, a few bucks, or a lot more? Seems like paying a few bucks for the convenience is a good idea, if that's the case.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
What are we talking about here, a few bucks, or a lot more? Seems like paying a few bucks for the convenience is a good idea, if that's the case.
I just did a comparison for 1 week in a Chevy Impala with Alamo. $242 total from Glendale location, $419 total if rented from the airport. The base price was about 70 higher from the airport and the rest was airport fees.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 6,089,147 times
It's no more convenient at all for me to go to the airport. I live here and can go pick up the rental anytime, anywhere.

When I rent in Germany, I always take the train into town from the airport, as they have a 16% special tax on rentals at the airport or train station. Sure, I've had to drag my luggage a few blocks or even take a taxi. But it has saved me hundreds in a single trip. And I'd rather burn money in a fireplace than give it to any gov't.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

4,556 posts, read 8,637,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I just did a comparison for 1 week in a Chevy Impala with Alamo. $242 total from Glendale location, $419 total if rented from the airport. The base price of the same car was $35 higher at the airport and the rest was fees.

OK, I thought maybe they just charged something like an extra $25 fee or something, which would be worth it to not have to find a way to another place away from the airport. $170+ makes it worth it. That's a lot of taco's.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
OK, I thought maybe they just charged something like an extra $25 fee or something, which would be worth it to not have to find a way to another place away from the airport. $170+ makes it worth it. That's a lot of taco's.
They don't have 24 hours at the metro locations and some are closed on Sundays. Also, I think if you are coming in from out of town and don't have a clue about where these places are, how to get around town, then the airport is a better, if pricier, choice. But for relatives coming to visit, you might be able to pick them up and drive them to a cheaper location.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,919,846 times
You are almost guarnteed to save money by NOT using the airport rental, plus it's a big mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area