Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I took some heat from the urbanistas a while back for calling light rail an amusement ride. But everyone I know who has been on it, went for the sheer thrill of it and not to actually get anywhere.

(Well except for my brother-in-law who took it on his way to rob some place or other. I guess that is a business use).
I would totally ride the light rail for amusement as well! I like mass transportation too and wish they would focus on extending that.

Seems most of the things I like, are the very same things that people who moved here are retreating from.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
I don't know about having an amusement park in Phoenix or Arizona. Would add to the traffic and sprawl since it most likely wouldn't be built near downtown, LOL! I really hope the economy doesn't cancel the Waveyard project but we will soon find out. I know there are also proposed theme parks in Eloy and Williams but California is so close that we are considered a part of that market.

As for entertainment, one needs to ask themselves, what do I want to do? Cultural activities (art/theater/ethnic), nightlife, outdoor activities, sporting events, etc...

Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's too hot here in the summer (travel season for kids) for traditional theme parks. Plus, we are really in the So Cal market as far as theme parks go, and there are already several over there. It wouldn't be feasible for developers to build one 5 hours away, when those people already have many to serve them. I know several people have proposed them, but they never happen, and would not be successful. Waveland or whatever it's called that is proposed for Mesa, or other large waterparks are what works.
Not to be contrarian but I've never agreed with the idea that it's too hot to have theme parks in Phoenix. Dubai is building many theme parks and their weather is arguably worse that ours in the summer as it can reach up to 118 F and with 80-90% humidity. Furthermore the heat index in Orlando can reach up to 110 when humidity is accounted for. With shade, access to water and water related rides, I think people can enjoy theme parks. I went to Six Flags over Texas in Dallas and it felt worse than Phoenix in the summer because it was 98 degrees with humidity. And we had a great time there.

And a lot of smaller cities have theme parks that are adjacent or near larger cities like Oklahoma City(Dallas), San Antonio(Houston,Dallas), Kansas City(St. Louis) and St. Louis(Chicago) and we are much larger than all of them. I think a theme park here would do well as it would serve a population of about 5 million including Tucson and it's growing which is plenty of people to warrant a theme park. I agree that the theme parks are always discussed but never occur but I think that had a lot to do with finding an investor or company willing to create one here. As Phoenix grows, some company will eventually put one here as they would be foolish not to considering the Phoenix metropolitan area will easily exceed 5 million in 2020

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Not to be contrarian but I've never agreed with the idea that it's too hot to have theme parks in Phoenix. Dubai is building many theme parks and their weather is arguably worse that ours in the summer as it can reach up to 118 F and with 80-90% humidity. Furthermore the heat index in Orlando can reach up to 110 when humidity is accounted for. With shade, access to water and water related rides, I think people can enjoy theme parks. I went to Six Flags over Texas in Dallas and it felt worse than Phoenix in the summer because it was 98 degrees with humidity. And we had a great time there.
Right, but a lot of those places don't have a nearby alternative. In other words, if you drive 5 hours outside of Dallas or Orlando, you're still in the heat (aside from less humidity right on the ocean). Because of our heat, in conjunction with being so close to a mild climate with numerous attractions in CA, developers don't see PHX as a feasible market.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,453 times
There has to be a good business case before a reasonable investor will commit their cash. The kinds of things you are asking for have been tried with little success.

Maybe the people in Phoenix don't depend on phony thrills for their entertainment. I wouldn't trade what we have for what you are asking for.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
One thing about the amusement parks located in Florida--Florida is located within a day's drive or less of a big chunk of the U.S. population, and airfare there is dirt cheap, especially in the winter when they are trying to attract families over Christmas break. You can seriously fly to FL for $79 from Ohio, and many, many people take advantage of that.

Once you get outside of Phoenix, with the exception of SoCal, how many people live within a day's drive of the city? Not all that many, since there is so much open, undeveloped space out West. Unless you could attract the crowds who go to SoCal and offer dirt cheap airfare to those who live farther away such as what is offered to Orlando, how much business, other than locals, would a theme park in Phoenix really get? And SoCal has the beach, Hollywood, etc. so a family can go there and find something for everyone, whereas in Phoenix, unless the adults enjoy golf and hanging out at a resort, there aren't a whole lot of attractions, as a pp pointed out.

I'm not bashing Phoenix, it's got its good points, as do all cities. I just think that between the extreme heat in the summer during summer break for the kids, the proximity of the SoCal parks, and the other factors I listed above, a theme park in Phoenix would never fly.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Right, but a lot of those places don't have a nearby alternative. In other words, if you drive 5 hours outside of Dallas or Orlando, you're still in the heat (aside from less humidity right on the ocean). Because of our heat, in conjunction with being so close to a mild climate with numerous attractions in CA, developers don't see PHX as a feasible market.
That's not true. Oklahoma City had Frontier City and Dallas was 3 hours away. St. Louis had a Six Flags and there was Six Flags Great America in Chicago. San Antonio has Fiesta Texas which was bought by Six Flags despite Houston having Six Flags Astro World(3 hours away) and Dallas having Six Flags Over Texas (5 hours away).

I remember living in Oklahoma City, families tried to make a trip to Dallas to go to Six Flags once every or every other summer but they also usually went to their local amusement park in Frontier City at least once to twice a year. By building a theme park in Phoenix, you are not replacing Disneyland but having your own park would mean you could go to it once in a while which is still fun even if it's not as grand as Disneyland

Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM

But I will admit the difference is it was probably a lot cheaper to produce amusement parks then because those cities' amusements were developed a long time ago. If those cities lacked amusement parks today, they probably wouldn't find a developer to build one. Still, I don't think California is that close and if an amusement park was here, it would be convenient. You could just take your kids there if you had a Saturday afternoon free instead of planning a road trip and hotel stay in California.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Whats our real claim to fame and main attraction that people would say, if you go to Phoenix, you have to go...
... run barefoot through the cacti!

OR

... run barefoot through the concrete & asphalt!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:45 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

And a lot of smaller cities have theme parks that are adjacent or near larger cities like Oklahoma City(Dallas), San Antonio(Houston,Dallas), Kansas City(St. Louis) and St. Louis(Chicago) and we are much larger than all of them. I think a theme park here would do well as it would serve a population of about 5 million including Tucson and it's growing which is plenty of people to warrant a theme park. I agree that the theme parks are always discussed but never occur but I think that had a lot to do with finding an investor or company willing to create one here. As Phoenix grows, some company will eventually put one here as they would be foolish not to considering the Phoenix metropolitan area will easily exceed 5 million in 2020
I think the points you make here are excellent. Everyone just says it wouldn't fly, but forget about tourists. The residents alone have little alternatives and with all the young kids and families, I think our population alone could support a venue of some type. I won't profess to know exactly what, but something...

What about when you have relatives that come visit you from out of state and you all want to go do something besides eat out or golf? What else do you do? Go to Rawhide? Drive away to Sedona?

I think the right thing would work well for the city and is almost necessary to give this burgeoning population some type of claim to fame. No matter if other theme parks are a short drive away, or cheap flight, not everyone has the additional time and budget to fly elsewhere and afford plane tickets, lodging, etc. on top of an admission fee.

We had people recently decide AGAINST coming here to visit their family because for the same money, they wanted to take the kids to Disneyland.

I bet there are many circumstances where it would actually entice family members to come visit you here, and spend their money here instead of Anaheim or Orlando because not only do they get to see you, they know they all will have something memorable and fun to do.

I also 100% agree that when you are having fun, putting up with heat is part of the experience, and not a reason to completely dismiss the idea. I'm a little surprised to hear any complaints about the heat in this forum because most people in here have said in other posts how pleasant the heat here is compared to all the other humid places that actually DO have real tourist attractions.

Whatever they do here should involve a ton of shade, misting systems and water rides, thats for sure. There are ways to counter the negatives, if someone uses a little imagination.

Last edited by cmist; 11-04-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area