Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Phoenix could expand endlessly into the desert in virtually all directions, but at some point such a large city needs to add a little diversity to actually retain its residents or it will just collapse on itself like it already did.
Did I miss something?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Did I miss something?
You and a lot of others, I guess.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Sorry if that sounded harsh... I didn't mean that you were. I just mean that there is already a certain profile that comes here, and maybe its time to expand on that.
Sometimes you come off sounding condescending and I think that is why people take offense. I don't think you are trying to be.

Quote:
I think it would do Phoenix some good to think along the lines of how it could offer something to the current residents and the city as whole other than just MORE housing. Phoenix could expand endlessly into the desert in virtually all directions, but at some point such a large city needs to add a little diversity to actually retain its residents or it will just collapse on itself... like it already did.
As far as theme parks go...I think it wouldn't be a bad idea and the Eloy park has a good and unique theme so it would be different compared to what is out there nationally. They want to call it something like...DECADES Music Theme Park. That is what it is called:

DECADES Music Theme Park: Eloy, Arizona

It is still being "planned" but haven't heard anything about when construction will begin.

Quote:
Is it really a good idea to just add another ring of housing around the city, the same corporate big box stores, and then just close it in with a loop 404? At what point do you try to offer a population more?
It is never good to just add more sprawl, but what city isn't? One thing that Phoenix is doing this time around and IS different from past cycles is being aggressive with downtown development even through the recession. I don't think the golf courses, resorts, shopping (Scottsdale Fashion Square, Biltmore Fashion Park, Kierland, etc are some of the best performing malls/shopping destinations in the country) and leisurely lifestyle bring in new residents, per se, but is a factor when deciding to move here for some; usually those with disposal income. However, in terms of tourism those amenities are huge draws for Phoenix and for convention business. We also are a national and international draw for Spring Training, the most attended PGA event (Phoenix Open which is unique because of its party atmosphere and one where celebs and the rich and famous throw or sponsor a party somewhere in the Valley), seems like we always are hosting a Super Bowl, All-Star Game, or National Championship Game (and we are always hosting such events).

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Sorry if that sounded harsh... I didn't mean that you were. I just mean that there is already a certain profile that comes here, and maybe its time to expand on that.

I think it would do Phoenix some good to think along the lines of how it could offer something to the current residents and the city as whole other than just MORE housing. Phoenix could expand endlessly into the desert in virtually all directions, but at some point such a large city needs to add a little diversity to actually retain its residents or it will just collapse on itself... like it already did.

Is it really a good idea to just add another ring of housing around the city, the same corporate big box stores, and then just close it in with a loop 404? At what point do you try to offer a population more?
LOL, I didn't take offense! I'm still coming down and shopping, aren't I?

You do bring up some good points in this post, though. I'm just not sure the theme parks are the answer. Many of the big park operators either went in bankruptcy or are closing down parks. Think outside the box. What else would bring in a different tourist demographic BESIDES golf and theme parks? And don't just think domestic, consider international travelers.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
I don't think summer weather should deter a theme park. Here in Minnesota, Valleyfair is the big "go-to" destination for theme parks and we can basically only use it for 3 months, if that. In Phoenix you've got 9 other months to choose from!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 76,198 times
I'd say playing a round of golf, going hiking, taking flying lessons, going 4-wheeling, renting a boat on Lake Pleasant for a day, taking the Grand Canyon Railway, going camping, trying rock-climbing, going shopping at Santan, Fashion Square or Biltmore, checking out the Pima Air Museum or even better, the Titan Missile Museum near Tucson, going river rafting, go-carting or bicycling, trying a stargazing night at the Maricopa County Parks or doing some geocaching are all greatly preferable to a theme park, but that's just me.

I realize a lot of people like those parks and don't mind the expense and as a father, I get the fact they have to be endured, but I'm happy to travel to that sort of thing once in a blue moon. I'm glad not to have too much of that stuff right in my face. Wet-n-Wild's well enough, IMO.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How would you know, you are from Alaska. What is a non-English speaker to you...anyone who is brown. What do you consider a vibrant nightlife in Alaska...running over Moose? Of course it's too hot here for you, when your "summer" is a month long and still requires long sleeves.

It's always funny because the people you would expect to criticize Phoenix like NY, LA and SF residents are not the ones who criticize Phoenix. It's people from Houston, Philly and now Alaska. Classic!

D-D-Does that happen? 'Cause it sounds like a good time!

And.. ewww. Onions.

Agreed, though. This topic has been beaten to death. An amusement park will happen, eventually. When the right old rich guy comes along with ____ Acres in BFE. And when it opens, I'll be first in line. Until then, I'm gonna go find me a moose.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
D-D-Does that happen? 'Cause it sounds like a good time!

And.. ewww. Onions.

Agreed, though. This topic has been beaten to death. An amusement park will happen, eventually. When the right old rich guy comes along with ____ Acres in BFE. And when it opens, I'll be first in line. Until then, I'm gonna go find me a moose.
You can shoot a moose at the arcade at Cabela's, I think.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
OK, mosse shooting does it. As someone said above, this topic has ben beaten to death. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area