Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,178 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the Phoenix area from N California. Our Kindergartener attends a private school, but we are open to public. What neighborhoods/areas are best for families with young children, but are NOT starter neighborhoods (i.e. new affordable homes). We are in our late 30s/early 40s and really enjoy the established neighborhood where we live and are hoping to find something similar. We also want to know what are the better public and private schools? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
This is SUCH a broad question, with so many possible answers. Where are you and/or your husband going to be working? This is a very spread out place, so a reasonable commute is important, coupled with the kind of neighborhood you are looking for. There are neighborhoods like you describe in different areas all over the Valley. Is there anything else that it is important to you to have access to? A little more information will help us help you a lot more.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,178 times
Thanks... I didn't realized it was so spread out. My husband will be working near East Indian School Road and 40th, by Camelback Mountain (according to Yahoo Maps). He will be able to work from home, but for days to the office a 30 minute commute is do-able.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
What kind of square footage and what's the budget?

I prefer and live in the Chandler area, and there are plenty of private schools, including a couple private High Schools. It's a little pricier than most of the West Valley, but cheaper than North Scottsdale. Where you are going to work and price range is what will matter.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just3 View Post
Thanks... I didn't realized it was so spread out. My husband will be working near East Indian School Road and 40th, by Camelback Mountain (according to Yahoo Maps). He will be able to work from home, but for days to the office a 30 minute commute is do-able.

Check out the Kyrene School district area, which is South Tempe, West Chandler and Ahwatukee. That's one of the top districts in the state, and is within 30 minutes from where he will work. Scottsdale and North Phoenix may work as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just3 View Post
Arcadia is just east of your husband's work location. It's an established neighborhood with attractive homes, citrus trees, and mountain views all conveniently located near Downtown, Scottsdale, and the airport. The neighborhood is located within the Scottsdale school district even though most of it lies within Phoenix city limits. I'd look here first because it's so close to work. Hopi is the elementary school for most of Arcadia.

A good second choice would be the Madison School District, which spans the North Central and Biltmore areas. It's also an established area that combines good access to Downtown with access to hiking trails and parks. It would be a reasonable commute of about 20 minutes drive time to 40th St. and Indian School.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Arcadia is just east of your husband's work location. It's an established neighborhood with attractive homes, citrus trees, and mountain views all conveniently located near Downtown, Scottsdale, and the airport. The neighborhood is located within the Scottsdale school district even though most of it lies within Phoenix city limits. I'd look here first because it's so close to work. Hopi is the elementary school for most of Arcadia.

A good second choice would be the Madison School District, which spans the North Central and Biltmore areas. It's also an established area that combines good access to Downtown with access to hiking trails and parks. It would be a reasonable commute of about 20 minutes drive time to 40th St. and Indian School.
I love south Tempe, I've lived there forever, and agree that Kyrene is a great district, but I agree with this post. Arcadia is definitely a place to look, as well as the north Phoenix area-- 7th Ave to 24th St, north of Bethany. There are some lovely established neighborhoods there, some with beautifully restored/refurbished older homes. And, they are GREEN areas. Grass lawns, big trees, which other areas don't have. Either is a shorter commute than the Kyrene attendance area would be... but, if you don't mind that distance, there are some lovely neighborhoods in the areas asufan described. They won't be as green, though, for the most part.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I love south Tempe, I've lived there forever, and agree that Kyrene is a great district, but I agree with this post. Arcadia is definitely a place to look, as well as the north Phoenix area-- 7th Ave to 24th St, north of Bethany. There are some lovely established neighborhoods there, some with beautifully restored/refurbished older homes. And, they are GREEN areas. Grass lawns, big trees, which other areas don't have. Either is a shorter commute than the Kyrene attendance area would be... but, if you don't mind that distance, there are some lovely neighborhoods in the areas asufan described. They won't be as green, though, for the most part.

Yep, Arcadia is probably the better option...if they have the money. Coming from Northern California, that might be the case. Just try to stay away from the areas West of Arcadia that call themselves the "Arcadia area".

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 AM

103 posts, read 229,357 times
we live in chandler. Awsome for families. I work in downtown phoenix the commute is not bad.
our 5 year old is in a private school in awahtukee. It's called the Summit. It's a great school we are very happy with it. Tuition is 900 a month. Beware of public schools in arizona.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnari View Post
we live in chandler. Awsome for families. I work in downtown phoenix the commute is not bad.
our 5 year old is in a private school in awahtukee. It's called the Summit. It's a great school we are very happy with it. Tuition is 900 a month. Beware of public schools in arizona.
This is a VERY broad statement, and as such gives a very inaccurate impresssion. There are VERY good public schools in Arizona, including metropolitan Phoenix, and including schools not very far from where the quoted poster lives. Some are not rated so highly so research is important.

You can look up any school in any school district on www.greatschools.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area