U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,025,011 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I live in Chino Valley, AZ. It is located 23 miles north of Prescott. It is a little town. I am no longer a city person and my previous visits to Phoenix have always just been for business. Thank you for those who wished my friend well. He had a diverticulitis attack and his intestines ruptured, causing poisons to enter his body. He was on kidney dialysis until last week. He still is on a respirator. He has been in the hospital for two months now. I met his sister at airport. Yes, we stayed at a very nice hotel but we went places as well.
When I drove to airport, I got lost and was in wrong terminal and a employee got into his truck, and had me follow him to the correct terminal. He told me where to park my car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,546,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
smilinpretty admitted to not being a "city person". Well, Phoenix is a city. I think that would explain the negative feeling.

I still say, and I've said before, a lot of what you get out of an experience is what you put IN to it. If you are LOOKING for friendly people, and ACT like one, you'll find them. (somehow, I suspect someone with the handle "smilinpretty" has the idea ). If you are an uhappy person in general, you will tend to see others that way.

Not to say that everyone here (or anywhere) is friendly, but just as a small example of a lifetime here, thinking about some conversations I've had with perfect strangers just over the last several weeks (and most were not being paid to be nice, as others here have suggested), would tell me that people here ARE friendly, by and large. I am not surprised when people here who are primarily negative about Phoenix or Arizona in general, and/or are just feeling unhappy generally) griipe about the unfriendly people. This thread is another example.
I do agree with this. My remarks were just poking fun at Krock. I actually skimmed over the original post very lightly and didnt see anything about the hospital visit, or I wouldnt have really done anything to seem unkind.

I kinda read Krocks remark before I read the longer post, and was addressing Krock jokingly more than the OP.

I also find the employees in the retail establishments of Phoenix nice, but I am not in love my neighbors, and I see them a heck of a lot more. Yes, I'm "nice" to them and they are "nice" to me. We wave to eachother through the car windows, etc. but NONE of us are really "friends" that hang out together. We are all so busy and Im aware this is the case in many areas besides Phx as well.

So in my often criticized opinion, I dont get a genuine warm feeling from superficial interactions like that and as for me, I could take it or leave it and wouldnt really factor that in as a huge benefit to life in the valley.

I sincerely wish the best for the OP and the ill friend.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:52 PM

8,685 posts, read 15,694,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Chino Valley, AZ. It is located 23 miles north of Prescott. It is a little town. I am no longer a city person and my previous visits to Phoenix have always just been for business. Thank you for those who wished my friend well. He had a diverticulitis attack and his intestines ruptured, causing poisons to enter his body. He was on kidney dialysis until last week. He still is on a respirator. He has been in the hospital for two months now. I met his sister at airport. Yes, we stayed at a very nice hotel but we went places as well.
When I drove to airport, I got lost and was in wrong terminal and a employee got into his truck, and had me follow him to the correct terminal. He told me where to park my car.
Sorry about your friend, and hope all turns out well. This niceness you spoke of, I saw the other day also at the grocery store which was pretty busy at the time I was there. I was absolutely amazed at how many people said "Excuse me" if walking in front or trying to get around someone...I thought I was dreaming, as I have never witnessed this to this extent anywhere else...I am in Casa Grande...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:17 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,916,005 times
I was in Phoenix all week, got back home last night. I went all over the metro area - Mesa, Tempe, N-S-Central PHX, Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Gilbert, Chandler - pretty much everywhere. OK, I may have missed Avondale and Sun City, but you get the idea. Except for one little spot, the entire metro area was friendly. Folks I smiled at and said hi to responded in kind. Drivers let other drivers out of parking lots into traffic. Some drivers even paid attention and let drivers into the lane (well, when they had on turn signals anyway). Folks (even some teenagers) held doors open for other people. Only one spot was self absorbed, rude, inconsiderate and pretty much unaware of anyone else, but fortunately I have very little business in that area so I ignore them and don't judge the metro based on my half day experience every time I visit that area.

I enjoyed my week.

Personally, I think folks who are miserable in PHX are either in a part of the metro that doesn't fit them, or just miserable in general. It's a big city with multiple personalities. Like any big city, you have to find the spot that fits you or you'll hate everything about where you live.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 AM

857 posts, read 1,602,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Wow. Where are these people you come across? My experience with people here has been totally opposite.
Half the people in Arizona are conservative Arizona natives and don't want the place to grow . . .

Half the people in AZ are Democrat and Libertarian newcomers and are very friendly . . .

Same thing in New Mexico . . .

when those Open to Experience (Richard Florida / Wall Street J.) personality scores drop below 30, like in AZ, NM, it's difficult for the newbies to make friends, since it's "cliquish."

Not the case in Colorado, or the West Coast . . .

Give it at least a year, and then you'll have lifetime friends . . .

BTW, is it true that 98% of people in Scottsdale are from California ? ? ?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,553,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Half the people in Arizona are conservative Arizona natives and don't want the place to grow . . .

Half the people in AZ are Democrat and Libertarian newcomers and are very friendly . . .

Same thing in New Mexico . . .

when those Open to Experience (Richard Florida / Wall Street J.) personality scores drop below 30, like in AZ, NM, it's difficult for the newbies to make friends, since it's "cliquish."

Not the case in Colorado, or the West Coast . . .

Give it at least a year, and then you'll have lifetime friends . . .

BTW, is it true that 98% of people in Scottsdale are from California ? ? ?
Yes, 98% of Scottsdale is made up by a population of ex-Californians because only 4,800 people lived there before 1980 and 235,200 people (all from California) moved there in only a few short years...

Because Arizona is so new, everyone develops "cliques" with themselves, so it's very "cliquish" here until you meet other people.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 11-14-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 06:17 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,676,186 times
Of course people are friendly in Arizona...aren't they all transplants from the Midwest?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,553,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Of course people are friendly in Arizona...aren't they all transplants from the Midwest?
Yes, we are all from the Midwest. I was born in St. Joseph's Hosiptal in Phoenix before the city was scooped up and moved west into the Valley of the Sun! (LOL, I know you are being cheaky, I am too...)

Old 11-14-2009, 07:18 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,676,186 times
Lol ; )

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 40,118,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I was in Phoenix all week, got back home last night. I went all over the metro area - Mesa, Tempe, N-S-Central PHX, Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Gilbert, Chandler - pretty much everywhere. OK, I may have missed Avondale and Sun City, but you get the idea. Except for one little spot, the entire metro area was friendly. Folks I smiled at and said hi to responded in kind. Drivers let other drivers out of parking lots into traffic. Some drivers even paid attention and let drivers into the lane (well, when they had on turn signals anyway). Folks (even some teenagers) held doors open for other people. Only one spot was self absorbed, rude, inconsiderate and pretty much unaware of anyone else, but fortunately I have very little business in that area so I ignore them and don't judge the metro based on my half day experience every time I visit that area.

I enjoyed my week.

Personally, I think folks who are miserable in PHX are either in a part of the metro that doesn't fit them, or just miserable in general. It's a big city with multiple personalities. Like any big city, you have to find the spot that fits you or you'll hate everything about where you live.
You brought up an excellent point there.

There is a world of difference between Troon North (Scottsdale) and Apache Junction vs., say, central Phx i.e. 40th St/Indian School. If I had to live in either of the first two places; I would be miserable whereas in the Phx locale I am comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area