U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,023,317 times

Advertisements

I must admit, living in Arizona for almost 17 years, my dislike for Phoenix never wandered. All that changed this past week.
From the hotel I stayed at to everywhere I went people were very accommdating and polite.

My friend who I hadn't seen for 28 years, was amazed by the friendly people and at one time we both broke down and laughed, saying this is the most friendly city we have ever been in.

One restaurant we went to the manager came to our table, greeted us with a smile and presented us with a carton of freshly baked muffins.

Thank you folks from Phoenix for being so friendly and polite.

Also, my friend's brother was at a hospital that we visited at daily. The doctors, nurses, staff at this hospital were so friendly.

I now have changed my mind about Phoenix, I do love Phoenix and even though I wouldn't want to live there because I am not a city person, if I had to live there, I would live there gladly.

Thank you,Phoenix!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,434,761 times
Wow. Where are these people you come across? My experience with people here has been totally opposite.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,545,598 times
At the resorts and restaurants, Krock.... where they are paid to be nice!!

The post reveals that since they said they lived here and hated it, but loved their vacation.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,333,554 times
Wow, way for you two to be the complete opposite of what the OP was complimenting.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,178 times
I visited Peoria about 5 years ago for 2 weeks and I live in Cleveland and the people that I came across were so nice and in Cleveland if you don't know someone and say hello to them, they look at you like why are you talking to me, so in Peoria and surrounding communitys no matter where I went it was pleasant with friendly people.

I don't understand the negative vibe from alot of the people on this forum that live in AZ to be honest.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbound95 View Post
I visited Peoria about 5 years ago for 2 weeks and I live in Cleveland and the people that I came across were so nice and in Cleveland if you don't know someone and say hello to them, they look at you like why are you talking to me, so in Peoria and surrounding communitys no matter where I went it was pleasant with friendly people.

I don't understand the negative vibe from alot of the people on this forum that live in AZ to be honest.
Haha I was "mostly" joking personally. But you have to admit, visiting a place for 2 weeks in vacation mode and living there are different.

I thought it was kind of funny the way the OP said his dislike for Phx never wavered in 17 years, but loved it when they came back to visit because the people in the places where he vacationed was nice.

You wont be vacationing much when you live here or waking up to a manager that has baked you fresh muffins, so it seemed a little dreamy. He had every right to be high on life after he got back home refreshed from a vacation. More power to him!!!

Im not fond of it here, but who cares what I think... I do however think that once I move and find happiness in a place that I do enjoy, I might love coming back to Phx and seeing it through the eyes of a tourist too.

If and when that happens, I will start a new thread just like this one!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,139,510 times
he didn't say he lived in phoenix for those 17 years

also he stated that he's clearly not a city person - so a bad experience early on the city can cloud you for a long time

i'm glad you encountered what so many of us have who live here - that is a very friendly population and best wishes to your friends brother

Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Oops my bad, he lived in AZ for 17 years and didnt like Phx. Im a little curious where he did live and what he didnt like about Phx?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 9,629,539 times
Thats nice! Your welcome!
There are so many more nice people all over the country right now, they are all being told to be extra friendly. My husbands work has told them all this as well. Trying to get the business up I guess, but it's sure nice.
The people at the hospital though, they were probably really just nice people, they have nothing to gain from it really. I'm sorry you were here for a hospital visit, I do hope everything turned out ok for your family, or friend.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:58 AM

17,861 posts, read 40,738,083 times
smilinpretty admitted to not being a "city person". Well, Phoenix is a city. I think that would explain the negative feeling.

I still say, and I've said before, a lot of what you get out of an experience is what you put IN to it. If you are LOOKING for friendly people, and ACT like one, you'll find them. (somehow, I suspect someone with the handle "smilinpretty" has the idea ). If you are an uhappy person in general, you will tend to see others that way.

Not to say that everyone here (or anywhere) is friendly, but just as a small example of a lifetime here, thinking about some conversations I've had with perfect strangers just over the last several weeks (and most were not being paid to be nice, as others here have suggested), would tell me that people here ARE friendly, by and large. I am not surprised when people here who are primarily negative about Phoenix or Arizona in general, and/or are just feeling unhappy generally) griipe about the unfriendly people. This thread is another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area