U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM

11,320 posts, read 19,277,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You can do it, but it's going to bring down the value of the pool.
Baloney. Value is driven by demand. Most new pools are shallow pools because diving pool are dangerous. Talk to any pool builder and you'll find that diving pools are out of favor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,392,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Baloney. Value is driven by demand. Most new pools are shallow pools because diving pool are dangerous. Talk to any pool builder and you'll find that diving pools are out of favor.
Because of cost, not danger although there is a false perceived notion of more danger for some uninformed people.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,724,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
And the demand is for deep pools, shallow pools warm too quickly in the summer.

The only reason diving pools would be "out of favor" would be due to the high cost for building.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM

35,043 posts, read 45,132,615 times
The diving pool died along with the spacious backyard. Code requirements for the transition and setbacks made the pool too long to fit in what was left of the 5K lot after the McMansion was built. Even if the space were available, most diving pools sacrifice a lot of the surface area to deep water and transition. If you have a party the guests are all crowded in the shallow end while the drunks are doing cannonballs off the board.

A play pool gives more usable space and more enjoyment IMO.

In answer to OP, yes, of course it can be done.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The diving pool died along with the spacious backyard. Code requirements for the transition and setbacks made the pool too long to fit in what was left of the 5K lot after the McMansion was built. Even if the space were available, most diving pools sacrifice a lot of the surface area to deep water and transition. If you have a party the guests are all crowded in the shallow end while the drunks are doing cannonballs off the board.

A play pool gives more usable space and more enjoyment IMO.

In answer to OP, yes, of course it can be done.
Interesting take on the pool party. The backyard space is a consideration, although I'm not sure that is the case here. I think most of the problem is just sheer cost; a diving pool can be twice as expensive, at least.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM

25,106 posts, read 37,055,247 times
The cost of water, filteration, maintaining, electric,insurance etc all work against diving pools.

Play pools are far more popular now because of the above

Old 11-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The cost of water, filteration, maintaining, electric,insurance etc all work against diving pools.

Play pools are far more popular now because of the above
That's what we've been saying all along...except for insurance, at least in my case and family and friends, the type of pool does not matter in insurance costs. They didn't ask me how deep or what type of pool I had...

Another thing to consider is the argument of value and demand...the overall value of the host in most cases is brought down by the inclusion of a pool. This is not always the case, but it is usually the case.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:49 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,501,452 times
I am not going to comment on the dangers or the expenses of the pools but rather the "desirablity" factor.

There are so many people that come here and just want a "pool". Many people coming from places where in ground pools are not commonplace ask the question "what is a play pool". Many of these people are not wrapped up in thinking heavily about the depth,cost of filtration, gallons of water involved or even the temperature. They just want a pool. Period.

I have never seen a house sell for more because it had a playpool vs a diving pool, or vice-versa. For the most part the older homes have diving pools but for quite a while now the actual trend is play pools.

The demand would probably be evenly distributed between people who prefer one over the other while there would also be a fairly big portion of people that could care less either way as all they are seeking is some relief from the heat. If all the needs of the actual home meets a persons needs and they DO want a pool, its not likely that they are going to have some bargaining power because the pool is too deep or too shallow. (except the super small "spools" are a little weird)

So to the OP, if you find out that its possible to make your pool shallow, and you have the cash to do this, go for it. Just do it right with a reputable company so you dont ruin your pool and create a funky eyesore in your backyard.

With one exception to all this... if the home is in a retirement community like Sun City, a diving pool would be pretty frowned on and in that case actually could be worth less. In fact a built in pool in a retirement home at all is a negative due to maintenance and expense.

And a pool company itself is the best resource to get the answer to the original question.

Last edited by cmist; 11-15-2009 at 01:18 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Because of cost, not danger although there is a false perceived notion of more danger for some uninformed people.
My frame of reference is that I built a pool a few years ago. I did the research and talked to the builders. I also live in a new part of town where a lot of other folks put in pools and watched what they did. I also gave you a reference to the expert advice from a legal firm which stated that diving injuries occur from hitting the transition required on a deep pool. So perhaps you can share your frame of reference that causes you to call me informed? Have you built a pool recently? Ever?

BTW, speaking of uninformed, deep pools aren't significantly more expensive to build. Pools are priced by the perimeter, not volume.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think most of the problem is just sheer cost; a diving pool can be twice as expensive, at least.
Rubbish. Pools are priced by perimeter, not volume. Putting in a deep area costs little or nothing. The builders we talked to would have put in a deep end for zero. Zilch. Nada. Everything is driven by perimeter because it dictates the size of the excavated area, the amount of decking, coping, tile, amount of plaster, etc. The only difference in a deep pool is that there's one small area that's dug deeper. The amount of steel, concrete and plaster to do that is so small a percentage of the overall pool price that most builders don't bother to charge for it.

Why are you making these claims when you evidently have no knowledge of the topic whatsoever?

Last edited by kdog; 11-15-2009 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area