U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,032,631 times

Advertisements

i have been wondering about this issue. How hard and what would it cost to have a smaller gunite pool, now 6 feet at the deep end, modified to 4 feet? I am thinking about glassing in the cage and making it a partly home heated indoor pool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 PM

641 posts, read 512,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Shallow pools are no-diving pools. No diving equals no neck injury. Get it?

As far as the threat from the transition slope goes, here's a quote for you:

"8. No diving boards on residential pools: Young athletic swimmers can easily strike the transition slope when diving off a board in a residential pool. Removing it will prevent injury." Reference: Aquatic Injuries, Broken Necks – Swimming Pool Accidents

Notice they didn't say "hit bottom". They said "strike the transition slope". That is where the real danger lies, despite your uninformed opinions.
We built a pool - a 5'-3'-5' playpool and I wish we had built a diving pool (no space!) - my kids and their friends still dive in and do cannonballs and they do flips inside the water - my daughter scraped her head as she was doing a flip?!!! I don't understand why everyone thinks it's safer with a playpool - more likely to break their neck and hurt themselves if they jump in the shallow end! I would keep the diving pool the way it is just remove the diving board - what a treat to have a diving pool!!!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:42 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,247,760 times
I have several friends that have play pools. They look cool but to me, they are way too small. Play pools get too hot in late summer, no diving at all, and they cool off too fast as well. They do look cool though with all the waterfalls and such.
I have an old school plaster LARGE (25,000 gallons) diving pool. It suits me well.......

Old 06-12-2016, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Lets put this dispute to an end. Neither is no dangerous than the other, it all depends on how stupid the swimmer is.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Im not a pool builder , i do mostly repairs . I am currently turning a deep pool into a 5 footer. Should i punch holes in the bottom for drainage before i fill er up and cement ???

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
We just bought a great older home with a diving pool. The shallow end is 8 feet deep. Our children are grown, but we have extended family nearby with small children and may make friends with people with small children. We are in our 60s and don't need or want a pool where you can't just relax or where we would be worried about the children who may visit. Even if we lock the gates to the pool area, kids are kids. Everyone seems to want to argue the merits of doing this, but no one seems to want to answer the question of whether it can be done. Our pool is an older cement pool. Does anyone know if it can be done by adding more cement?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:42 AM

7,360 posts, read 3,797,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveyourpool View Post
Im not a pool builder , i do mostly repairs . I am currently turning a deep pool into a 5 footer. Should i punch holes in the bottom for drainage before i fill er up and cement ???

Reviving an 8 year old thread again? The OP posted this in 2009 I doubt they need anymore information LOL Changing the pool depth is very expensive if you read back in this thread the OP said in 2009 they were quoted 11k to do it they have to jack hammer the plaster out then jack hammer to some of the rebar weld in new framework shoot more concrete in and new plaster or pebble tech whatever you want also plumbing has to be changed. I had my pool rebuilt no change to the shape it was $20k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area