Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,491,592 times

Advertisements

I think 'ol nickelbag is the worst kind of politician. He plays on peoples fears and has his highly publicised dog-and-pony illegal round-ups. Heck, the guy is at a Sun City function every week. No illegals there, just political donors and easily manipulated voters.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the local (Phoenix, Mesa) PD's have a better track record of actually taking care of the "dangerous" illegals? ie. drophouses, gangs, and drugs.

Last edited by roundball; 11-19-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I vote for Sheriff Joe.....I wish we could get him to move to Las Vegas
I wish we could get him to move up there too. Anywhere but here.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,552,841 times
Moderator cut: no discuss moderator actions here's the link to the article, which I was able to find with a little searching:

Phoenix News - Dog Day Afternoon -

I did incorrectly describe it as a botched drug bust. As the article indicates, that wasn't the case; but the actions of the Sheriff's department were clearly over the top. It is but one example of the same kind of arrogance that is shown by the Sheriff's reaction to the court order that was the impetus for this thread.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-19-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: no discussion of moderator actions - see TOS

Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,042,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I think 'ol nickelbag is the worst kind of politician. He plays on peoples fears and has his highly publicised dog-and-pony illegal round-ups. Heck, the guy is at a Sun City function every week. No illegals there, just political donors and easily manipulated voters.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the local (Phoenix, Mesa) PD's have a better track record of actually taking care of the "dangerous" illegals? ie. drophouses, gangs, and drugs.
No you are right; the Phoenix PD, Mesa PD, Glendale PD, and Tempe PD have done better jobs with the above then Joe. Also, Joe doesn't really make us "safe" because he doesn't patrol or help the local municipalities arrest and investigate illegal operations; from smuggling to murder, and from simple assault to domestic violence. His job is to lock up those dangerous folk after the PD's have caught and arrested them. He's failed at that too!

Last edited by fcorrales80; 11-19-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,352,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Moderator cut: no discussion of moderator actions here's the link to the article, which I was able to find with a little searching:

Phoenix News - Dog Day Afternoon -

I did incorrectly describe it as a botched drug bust. As the article indicates, that wasn't the case; but the actions of the Sheriff's department were clearly over the top. It is but one example of the same kind of arrogance that is shown by the Sheriff's reaction to the court order that was the impetus for this thread.
The New Times didn't really explore this issue beyond stating this:

But Eric didn't come out. Initially, he holed up in the attic.
"I guess he just got scared," Barker says.

You "guess he just got scared" If the MCSO enters your house and yells "This is the sheriff's department! Eric, come out with your hands up!'" why didn't he just come out with his hands up? What would any normal innocent person do in that situation? They would come out with their hands up ASAP! Or maybe this had something to do with why he hid: Golden told MCSO that (Eric)Kush was acting erratically and was armed. If Eric Kush did what the deputies said instead of trying to hide in the attic, I'm sure this would have went better. And if you were innocent, why would you hide from the authorities in your attic? A lot of this could have been avoided if he went downstairs and had his hands on his head.

One of the people in the house Gabrial Golden was arrested for armed robbery and was on probation for it. The MCSO suspected he and the people in the home were armed and thus I can understand why they didn't feel like ringing the door bell.

Also, you made it sound like they deliberately burned the house down. That wasn't the case. Based on this article, it sounds like it was an accident caused by one of the tear gas canisters.

Finally, the burning of the dog was cruel and sick. There is no justification for that. Overall, I will agree the MCSO messed up and could have handled it better but the article was obviously biased and tried to make them look like thugs without exploring the reasons why they did what they did which is what I did above. I mean seriously, why did the guy hide in the attic? And if a people are suspected for stealing weapons and was arrested in the past for armed robbery, I don't think there is a PC way to ring their door bell and question them peacefully.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-19-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,491,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
No you are right; the Phoenix PD, Mesa PD, Glendale PD, and Tempe PD have done better jobs with the above then Joe. Also, Joe doesn't really make us "safe" because he doesn't patrol or help the local municipalities arrest and investigate illegals operations. His job is to lock up those dangerous folk after the PD's have caught and arrested them. He's failed at that too!
Why are so many fooled? How is he "tough" on crime? I think it's a big show.

About the only good thing I can say about him are his policies on pets and how he runs his animal shelters.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
No you are right; the Phoenix PD, Mesa PD, Glendale PD, and Tempe PD have done better jobs with the above then Joe. Also, Joe doesn't really make us "safe" because he doesn't patrol or help the local municipalities arrest and investigate illegals operations. His job is to lock up those dangerous folk after the PD's have caught and arrested them. He's failed at that too!
Are you saying the MCSO doesn't patrol? When they pulled my friend over, they most certainly were patrolling that night. I've seen them patrol. Maybe they are doing so illegally but they are out there.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,340,940 times
MCSO deputies patrol in some very "lonely" areas - in one of the largest geographical counties in the country.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,042,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
MCSO deputies patrol in some very "lonely" areas - in one of the largest geographical counties in the country.
Right, and AZriverfan, the Sheriff's Office doesn't patrol our urban streets and neighborhoods. That is the job of the municipal law enforcement agencies.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Right, and AZriverfan, the Sheriff's Office doesn't patrol our urban streets and neighborhoods. That is the job of the municipal law enforcement agencies.
Is a "lonely" area 35th and Greenway? That seems pretty metropolitan to me. It may not be their job but they do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who can attest to the MCSO patrolling the urban streets and neighborhoods in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area