Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,040,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Is a "lonely" area 35th and Greenway? That seems pretty metropolitan to me. It may not be their job but they do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who can attest to the MCSO patrolling the urban streets and neighborhoods in the Valley.
If they do they are out of their jurisdiction OR they have permission at that moment to enter into an area that is not under their command. However, if they try to give you a ticket within the city limits without a Phoenix PD Officer the citation is void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM

107 posts, read 301,275 times
Why would it be void? MCSO has jurisdiction over the entire county. They can write citations and take you to before any of the justice courts. Heck, for that matter, any police officer can cite you into any justice court if they witness a violation.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,040,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967hammer View Post
Why would it be void? MCSO has jurisdiction over the entire county. They can write citations and take you to before any of the justice courts. Heck, for that matter, any police officer can cite you into any justice court if they witness a violation.
Because each jurisdiction is entitled to their piece of the pie; it is purely legislative and political and about money. An MCSO office does NOT have jurisdiction over the entire county, only over unincorporated county land. They were given ICE training, but that has since been revoked. They have the power to arrest when state law is in question but usually municipal matters require notification of the local police.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,333,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
If they do they are out of their jurisdiction OR they have permission at that moment to enter into an area that is not under their command. However, if they try to give you a ticket within the city limits without a Phoenix PD Officer the citation is void.
Actually, MCSO has jurisdiction anywhere in the county.

If an MCSO officer cites you in the city limits of Phoenix, it is a good citation.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,209,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Right, and AZriverfan, the Sheriff's Office doesn't patrol our urban streets and neighborhoods. That is the job of the municipal law enforcement agencies.
Not true: I have seem MCSO units here in central/west Mesa 'light up' a motorist.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM

178 posts, read 482,083 times
Let me see If I can provide clarity to this matter.

It is a breach of legal boundary for any Detention Officer or Correctional Officer to do anything other then "scan" legal for contraband policy in state county and federal agencies make that clear. The notations "steal" and other comments the officer construed as security threat may have been testimonies, histories of events in his trial or other truly legal information. The appropriate action would have been to notify the chain of command that he felt a legal document may have sensitive information that could jeopardize jail security. Making copies without clearance from the very least of rank a Lieutenant was indeed a mistake. The reasons that officers cannot view legal is:

1. The prisoner may be sighting the officer in a law suit and this knowledge can lead to reprisal.
2. The officer may view the prisoner as guilty based on information in the documents and may treat the prisoner unfavorably as such.
3. The Accused pending a trial is innocent till proven guilty as such they have all the rights of any citizen.
4. Legal documents are only the property of the prisoner, his representation to the court and if necessary the judge hearing the trial. Not any security staff of the inmates detention.

I do empathize with the officer however, I believe his intent was the security of the prisoner, jail and courts. The Sheriff is correct in sighting good faith. If any staff member conducts an act out of the guidelines of policy and it is determined that the action was conducted in good faith then it is a wash with due training and an apology.

The lawyer in this matter has reason to request a change of venue, so that any information to her case being leaked is washed within the unbiased fresh court.

Judge Donahue is too justified ( judge justified lol ) in his upset reaction to the officer. The judge has every reason to expect that security staff in his courts be provided adequate training in the area legal protocol.

Sheriff Joe I believe was arrogant in his press conference. The Sheriff needs to respect the judge. He should not come across as though "his" jail is "his" to be sure it is the tax payers, the civilians who elect him own "his" jail, it is public owned. The jail is operated by the Sheriff at the public's will, through the vote.

Contempt? Let due process decide that, but the officer's union and department need to help the officer's defense in this matter. The Officer was either not properly trained or acted in good faith to the best of his understanding of department policy.

Detention and Correctional Officers do so much for the citizens of this nation and little is done to respect that service. This is because they work with known and suspected criminals everyday behind tall fences and brick walls so we the citizens cannot see the stresses and dangers they face every time they post at their job.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,998,748 times
Default Law & Order !!! "Always Most Welcome In America" .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Arpaio is correct - The only one who can order a "press conference" representing the MCSO is the Sheriff. Not some judge.
Greeting's ,

Just imagine how great it would be to have many such Sheriff's as this one !!!

No more American "Illegal Alien Debacle" ..... and I do mean "Game Over !!!

Keep up the "Great Work Sheriff Arpaio !

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling / Thanks / Lamar

Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,774,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's ,

Just imagine how great it would be to have many such Sheriff's as this one !!!

No more American "Illegal Alien Debacle" ..... and I do mean "Game Over !!!

Keep up the "Great Work Sheriff Arpaio !

Thanks / Lamar
Great point, Lamar!

Interesting concept . . . A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER ENFORCING THE LAWS!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

178 posts, read 482,083 times

Interesting concept . . . A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER ENFORCING THE LAWS!

There are many Police, Correction, Detention and Deputy Officers that are slandered by that comment. Do not blame line Officers for their administrations restricting what they can and cannot do.

Last edited by garisonthebull; 11-19-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,774,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
There are many Police, Correction, Detention and Deputy Officers that are slandered by that comment. Do not blame line Officers for their administrations restricting what they can and cannot do.
Absolutely, Garisonthebull . . . I could not agree more.

My post was directed towards the comments criticizing Sheriff Joe for enforcing the laws.

Sorry my sarcasm was a little misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area