Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 23,258 times

Advertisements

We are retirees considering taking advantage of the real estate bargains in Phoenix , Goodyear, Buckeye & areas West and North of Phoenix and buying a retirement home there. What I am looking for is cost of electricity, water , Gas , for heating. insurance , license plates etc. I know this varies , but for example, we will be buying a home of around 2500 sq feet , and it will probably be on an acre of land in one of the out lying areas ,I mentioned. More of a rural setting. I would really appreciate knowing about what utilitys will cost , so we can decide if we can live comfortably there on our fixed income. Thank you, Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
MAZ,

Hi there....so much depends on your personal comfort level? Also, will you just be winter residents (Snowbirds), or will you be retiring to here year round?

In the winter A/C is not an issue of course, and as a matter of fact in the more outlying areas in can get downright chilly, especially at night. Example, tonight here in Casa Grande (35 miles south of downtown PHX) we will be in the low 40s, and that is common in the western outlying areas also. So you may actually have a little heating cost, but not much really.

If you will be here in the summer, it depends on how cool you require it to be, but count on at least 200.00 a month for 4-6 months a year to keep a home that size in the high 70s to low 80s. Again, it depends on how much you will be there etc....

Gas is relatively inexpensive here (for example I paid 2.30 per gallon today), and other cost such as taxes etc are also relatively low. Vehicle license fees are based upon vehicle value and you can go to the MVD site and they have the formula to figure it out. I pay 600.00 a year for Homeowners insurance with pretty decent coverages, but again that depends on the value of the home. Water can vary - mine is always less than 50.00 a month here in CG and I have a pretty landscaped place, but dont use alot of indoor water.

This is a start...others who know that specific area hopefully will chime in....

Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM

269 posts, read 1,257,971 times
I moved here from Florida 3 years ago and almost all my expenses stayed the same or went down,you can live without heat or a/c here 7 months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area