Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are two* kinds of people in the Phoenix metro area: those who live in Scottsdale and those who wish they did. We are hearing from the latter.

*exception - those who live in Estrella.
Speak for yourself, please. I lived in Scottsdale for over two years and was so damn glad to leave that place for central Mesa a few months ago.

Needless to say: even if I had $$$ coming out of my ears...........Scottsdale would not be on my radar as a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 68,014 times
I find it hilarious to hear how much importance people will place on the name of an area you live in...Scottsdale has every kind of income level and housing price as any other area of the valley. You can find million dollar houses in every part of the valley and low income housing as well...including Scottsdale. It's just a perception...although when you move, it might be wise to check the crime rates of the specific area you are moving to, at least within a couple of miles.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyEA View Post
I find it hilarious to hear how much importance people will place on the name of an area you live in...Scottsdale has every kind of income level and housing price as any other area of the valley. You can find million dollar houses in every part of the valley and low income housing as well...including Scottsdale. It's just a perception...although when you move, it might be wise to check the crime rates of the specific area you are moving to, at least within a couple of miles.
Not only than that, but Scottsdale is a big nightlife destination for the whole metro area. I live near Old Town and the only time I go to the "trendy be seen" places is with friends who live everywhere but Scottsdale and it's their big night out. Regular locals go to regular places.

The most obnoxious guido types I've recently seen in Old Town were sporting large 623 tattoos on their necks. As in the area code. Too funny.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM

112 posts, read 130,265 times
Moderator cut: post you are referring to has been deleted whats the point of this thread? The area code thing is funny though. I lived in central phoenix before and I always saw gangsters in the area with 602 on their knuckles but didnt know until now that there is some area code war going on. Now I get it. When I first moved here too I seemed to really offend someone from Scottsdale... when they told me their phone number was 480 and I said, oh so you are in the east valley, they were super quick to defend it and clarify it was "North" Scottsdale.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-25-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: post you are referring to has been deleted

Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
In all seriousness, Scottsdale is nothing like that. I know people want to criticize Scottsdale so the easy response is to agree that it is just like that video. But to those who actually spent time in Old Town Scottsdale, they know it's nothing like that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Scottsdale. It's bad in its own way but the Jersey Shore is full of poor New Jersey kids who like to get trashed, start fights and appear tough, that's not Scottsdale unless you are hanging out at one of the few dive bars there. Scottsdale is too concerned with image and people who frequent it would be ashamed to dress and act like that. People spend their entire paycheck to dress well and drink at one of the upscale restaurants or lounges in Scottsdale. Fights are not common and most are afraid to engage in them for fear of being blacklisted from a club or lounge. Scottsdale is more like Sunset in LA.

Yes, there are dive bars in Old Town Scottsdale (Pattys?? does it still exist) but there are many upscale lounges and you won't see guys with 623 on their neck at Stingray sushi, the W, Suede, PCL or Dirty Pretty. The security these places hire would scare most gang members. We are talking Navy Seals and Special Forces. They don't all stand outside and check ID's but if something happens, they are there.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-25-2009 at 01:34 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Those that are all show, don't mean that they are all go. The video was funny. The girls were not very hot though. Looked kind of scanky to me.

Maybe parts of Scottsdale could be percieved as low class, want to be wealthy, low self esteem individuals. I have been in many parts of Scottsdale and have seen some very nice people. People that didn't have to put on the dog so to speak. When you got it you don't have to advertise it. Thought Roundballs post was funny where the link to what a guido is. If you have to advertise to the world the size of your hardware, chances are that is because the idea that you have any hardware is not common knowledge.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM

112 posts, read 130,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In all seriousness, Scottsdale is nothing like that. I know people want to criticize Scottsdale so the easy response is to agree that it is just like that video. But to those who actually spent time in Old Town Scottsdale, they know it's nothing like that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Scottsdale. It's bad in its own way but the Jersey Shore is full of poor New Jersey kids who like to get trashed, start fights and appear tough, that's not Scottsdale unless you are hanging out at one of the few dive bars there. Scottsdale is too concerned with image and people who frequent it would be ashamed to dress and act like that. People spend their entire paycheck to dress well and drink at one of the upscale restaurants or lounges in Scottsdale. Fights are not common and most are afraid to engage in them for fear of being blacklisted from a club or lounge. Scottsdale is more like Sunset in LA.

Yes, there are dive bars in Old Town Scottsdale (Pattys?? does it still exist) but there are many upscale lounges and you won't see guys with 623 on their neck at Stingray sushi, the W, Suede, PCL or Dirty Pretty. The security these places hire would scare most gang members. We are talking Navy Seals and Special Forces. They don't all stand outside and check ID's but if something happens, they are there.
Thank you for shedding this in a more positive light. I snowbird here so Im not familiar with the young scottsdale undercurrent that the original poster was sharing. I did cashier at a central phoenix grocery store many years ago and always wondered what the 602 knuckles was all about and the post from joninaz clears up that there seems to be some area code war going on. I have a young nephew that recently moved here from NJ full time so I showed him the video and comments this morning. We had a really good laugh together. He said that a real guido would never tattoo a phx area code on their neck - they have way too much pride in being from nj, so it must be a phoenix az thing. He was laughing pretty hard at the idea that a night in a scottsdale dive bar would be some big night on the town for a tatooed west sider. He said that the 480 gangsters must be classy and keep their area codes tatood in hidden places. anyway i thought these were some funny comments to share. Happy thanksgiving all!

Last edited by Borus; 11-25-2009 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 10:32 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Those that are all show, don't mean that they are all go. The video was funny. The girls were not very hot though. Looked kind of scanky to me.

Maybe parts of Scottsdale could be percieved as low class, want to be wealthy, low self esteem individuals. I have been in many parts of Scottsdale and have seen some very nice people. People that didn't have to put on the dog so to speak. When you got it you don't have to advertise it. Thought Roundballs post was funny where the link to what a guido is. If you have to advertise to the world the size of your hardware, chances are that is because the idea that you have any hardware is not common knowledge.
Like I mentioned, Scottsdale Night Life = $30,000 Millionaires. You have young people who share apartments with 3 people, work at a restaurant or a store in Fashion Square and spend money and dress like they are millionaires. That's always been Scottsdale. This video of the Jersey Shore is more like a trashy Spring Break. That's nothing like Scottsdale.

Also, there is night life in other parts of the valley. It's not true that Scottsdale is the only show in town. The gangbangers and west side folk have their own bars and clubs. The guys with tattoos on their neck and hands don't go to Scottsdale. It's out of the way for them and they don't like hanging out with what they consider to be prissy white people.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,065 times
I've always thought Scottsdale was for people who wanted to live in Paradise Valley but couldn't afford it.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
I like scottsdale. It's slow, if you live near fashion square or desert ridge everything is near, and its quiet. The only thing i don't like about scottsdale is the scottsdale mark up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area