Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

Oh brother, I live in N. Scottsdale and RUE the day I moved here.

I cannot believe I live in a place (or metropolitan area - yeah, right) wherein the people even post this kind of stuff. I mean, who really cares? Cross the street and it is no longer N. Scottsdale. Yet, I cannot escape this mentality and I am stuck here.

I cannot wait to get out of here - someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I cannot believe I live in a place (or metropolitan area - yeah, right) wherein the people even post this kind of stuff. I mean, who really cares? Cross the street and it is no longer N. Scottsdale. Yet, I cannot escape this mentality and I am stuck here.

I cannot wait to get out of here - someday.
ditto

Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
LOL, people, I posted the videos for a laugh and for the common sense fact (reiterating) that these types of individuals live everywhere and not just Scottsdale. It was kind of a, "sure, they are only in Scottsdale, kind thing." They are everywhere, even in Utah...

Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, people, I posted the videos for a laugh and for the common sense fact (reiterating) that these types of individuals live everywhere and not just Scottsdale. It was kind of a, "sure, they are only in Scottsdale, kind thing." They are everywhere, even in Utah...
REALLY??? I'm shocked, even in Utah??!! I would have never guessed. Thanks for the informative post.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
REALLY??? I'm shocked, even in Utah??!! I would have never guessed. Thanks for the informative post.
You're welcomed, as you seem to be the one with the hardest time imagining these sort of individuals anywhere but Scottsdale. Glad I could help; and you're from the NY/NJ area right? Well 30 years ago so I'd imagine you just forgot.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You're welcomed, as you seem to be the one with the hardest time imagining these sort of individuals anywhere but Scottsdale. Glad I could help; and you're from the NY/NJ area right? Well 30 years ago so I'd imagine you just forgot.
Nope, all I ever said is that Scottsdale had those types, as the thread later evolved it proved to be true.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Nope, all I ever said is that Scottsdale had those types, as the thread later evolved it proved to be true.
Actually; you said:

Quote:
As long as we're opening the door to poke fun at Scottsdale...

I think it would be more like Scottsdale if you added about 30 years to their current age, but provided enough plastic surgery so they didnt like a day older, while KEEPING the same adolescent mindset. At least you can excuse the arrogance in the video as young and cocky... I dont know what excuse scottsdale has, lol!
So, yes, you are right that Scottsdale has these type but it isn't "Scottsdale." Hopefully, you got a laugh from the video though! That was the main point as their behavior is funny. The "fist pumping like champs" statement had me rolling! Trust me, I've seen a couple of guys "dancing" like that at some places and they usually get looked at like "WTFudge" (not sure if I can use the real "WT*...in this forum).

And even further, I've dated guys (3) similar to those in the video (none in Arizona) and often became very annoyed very quickly and as one poster wrote: many tend to "ham" it up when in certain locations. With one guy the most common statement to me regarding him was: "Hurry, we need you to break up a fight "T" started!" It's funny in retrospect though...

Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,636 times
From what I know about Scottsdale I can't wait to go there and have a good time. Seems to be the "it" area of the Valley that people make fun of, usually baseless. Our area is South Tampa/Hyde Park. People will always say it's stuck up or snobby down there but I've met some of the friendliest and approachable people in those neighborhoods. Way more social and interested in mingling than my suburb.

Oh but I must say, I went to that Dirty Pretty club's site and it looks amazing. BUT the employment application has a hilarious. ironic typo:

APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT

Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Actually; you said:

So, yes, you are right that Scottsdale has these type but it isn't "Scottsdale." Hopefully, you got a laugh from the video though! That was the main point as their behavior is funny. The "fist pumping like champs" statement had me rolling! Trust me, I've seen a couple of guys "dancing" like that at some places and they usually get looked at like "WTFudge" (not sure if I can use the real "WT*...in this forum).

And even further, I've dated guys (3) similar to those in the video (none in Arizona) and often became very annoyed very quickly and as one poster wrote: many tend to "ham" it up when in certain locations. With one guy the most common statement to me regarding him was: "Hurry, we need you to break up a fight "T" started!" It's funny in retrospect though...
I know what I said in this thread. I thought you were lightening up and joking around for once instead of being so serious. So I chimed in, to get a laugh too. I should have known there was "moral" behind your story.

Regardless, you know well that I poke fun at the Scottsdale stereotypes, and I agree its overdone, but its pretty clear from looking through the thread that I'm not the only one that gets a kick out of roasting Scottsdale. Not to mention, I can say all this about Scottsdale, and still be aware that they are in other places, EVEN UTAH! That was the funniest part of everything you said.

Last edited by cmist; 11-30-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM

112 posts, read 130,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
From what I know about Scottsdale I can't wait to go there and have a good time. Seems to be the "it" area of the Valley that people make fun of, usually baseless. Our area is South Tampa/Hyde Park. People will always say it's stuck up or snobby down there but I've met some of the friendliest and approachable people in those neighborhoods. Way more social and interested in mingling than my suburb.

Oh but I must say, I went to that Dirty Pretty club's site and it looks amazing. BUT the employment application has a hilarious. ironic typo:

APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT

Are you a good spellar? That was really funny, but maybe they mean to do that so you prove it by correcting them, otherwise everyone knows how to spell YES.
The perceptions of Scottsdale arent exactly baseless. Its overplayed for sure but it definitely smells of materialism. Some people in Scottsdale dont get that others have money too but arent interested in proving themself by owning a home in their zip code. Thave their digs too about other parts of the valley like the 623 zip code post or remarks like its dangerous to go west of central without a gun. I think in the end its all in good fun and intelligent people know that anything with a reference to *everyone* or *nobody* is usually exagerrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area